Sony KDFE50A12 part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

rdcox

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm considering buying the new Sony 50" RP - appears to be good value with Empire Direct selling at under £1200 with stand. Saw it in a Sony centre yesterday and it didn't look bad for the money. Anybody got any opinions on the set and does it compare favourably with other TV's of the same size and price?

Cheers

rdcox said:
Hi,

I'm considering buying the new Sony 50" RP - appears to be good value with Empire Direct selling at under £1200 with stand. Saw it in a Sony centre yesterday and it didn't look bad for the money. Anybody got any opinions on the set and does it compare favourably with other TV's of the same size and price?

Cheers

How desperate are you for a big HD TV (No HD from SKY until next year), Sony are supposed to be releasing their SXRD sets in the UK next year, they will blow the DLP and current Sony Rear Pro and sets out of the water (I know because I saw them in action last month in the states).

You will probably be looking at £2.5K for a 50" set but from what I saw it is well worth the money.

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately my current CRT TV is about to die so will be looking for a new one sooner rather than later and 2.5k is too much. Also thought I may as well get HD if I'm going to get a new TV.

Cheers

[edit]
I'm interested how the Sony will perform, it should be available around £1100 by Christmas. Not bad for a 50" high def TV

Cheers
Lee

Anyone know if the Sony has component input?

Sony's site is a bit poor, doesn't even mention HDMI is the tech spec but it does on the features page. Only says 2 scarts as well. :confused:

Cheers
Lee

What exactly is this TV. I thought DLP are the ONLY rear projection efforts out there...

kmhtkmhtkmht said:
What exactly is this TV. I thought DLP are the ONLY rear projection efforts out there...

There are still a few SD CRT and LCD rear pro's on sale.

This new one from Sony is a HD Ready high definition LCD rear projection with three LCD panels, naturally Sony call the technology "3LCD"

The white light from the projection bulb is split, goes through three 1.08 Megapixel panels and is then rejoined before it goes on screen giving an effective resolution of 3.2 megapixels.

Sony say, but they would, that the technology gives more detail, better contrast and a wider dynamic range than most DLP sets without any Rainbow effect.

We will have to see as the model only hits the UK this month.

Cheers
Lee

logiclee said:
We will have to see as the model only hits the UK this month.
Not sure what model you're refering to, logiclee, but the KDF-E50A12 is already available in the UK.
I had a quick demo of it at my local Sony Center (Chelmsford), and unfortunately was not impressed.
It is also on sale at £1399 (the 50") with free stand.

ddlooping said:
Not sure what model you're refering to, logiclee, but the KDF-E50A12 is already available in the UK.
I had a quick demo of it at my local Sony Center (Chelmsford), and unfortunately was not impressed.
It is also on sale at £1399 (the 50") with free stand.

Sorry, forgot we are now in October.

Sony's website says available September.

Can I ask why you were not impressed?

Cheers
Lee

logiclee said:
Can I ask why you were not impressed?
Very hard to quantify, really.
I thought the black level was quite good but to the expense of details.
This black-crush could only be remedied by boosting the brightness, thus raising the black level considerably.
Also, the image appeared quite "dirty" - for lack of a better way of putting it - unless you stood at 9' or more.
This might have been due to the DVD player and connection used, though.

Still fairly good for the money, but I'd rather have a Panasonic PWD8, so far the best screen I have seen in that price-range, regardless of technology and resolution (except CRT TVs).

P.S: I used "Alien vs Predator" as the test DVD, as it is quite dark, and the transfer is sometimes fairly poor.
A difficult test for all screens.

The 42" and 50" 3LCD Sony's have now been added to the Comet web site so should be instore soon.

Local Sony shop hasn't got one yet. :(

Cheers
Lee

Will these 3 LCD sets have the old CRT RPTV convergence issues? I got quite bored with forever having to correct the convergence and know that a day or two later it was not spot on anymore :suicide:

I would be suprised if this was not all automatic now but if somebody could confirm?

Nope. They don't drift like CRTs did. It's quite feasible for them to set up with bad alignment at the factory, but this is fixable (mechanically) and once fixed, stays fixed. I suspect that the tolerance is fairly tight, though. Certainly those I've seen have been perfect or damned close.

This isn't really a new technology. It's all much the same as LCD projectors have been for six + years (with inevitable improvements as time goes by).

LV426 said:
This isn't really a new technology. It's all much the same as LCD projectors have been for six + years (with inevitable improvements as time goes by).

That's right, one of the reasons I'm looking at them as it's proven technology.
I've had a Toshiba 46" CRT rear projection for four years and it's been great, no problems with convergence either.
I've been looking at DLP for a while but there are still issues around that are putting me off. I could see rainbows when viewing a Titanic DVD demo.

Now Sony have upped the LCD game to High Def if the PQ is good enough then it might be worth a go.

By the way 4 years ago my 46" Tosh was £2500, just shows how quickly things move on.

Cheers
Lee

kmhtkmhtkmht said:
Will this Sony R0x0r my Sagem 56?

Sorry mate, what are you asking?

Cheers
Lee

Will this particular model of television set being the Sony rival the Sagem 56 in any way shape or form?

AKA R0X0R?

Probably a rival for the 50" Sagem but six hundred pounds less (Retail Price).

3LCD High Definition is a bit of an unkown in the UK but no doubt the magazines will be reviewing theese models soon.

Cheers
Lee

It will probably have (guesses based on some knowledge of the technology)

1: The same or higher native resolution
2: Poorer blacks
3: No flicker or refresh or rainbow or eyestrain issues for anybody
4: Possibly poorer overall colour uniformity but no so as you'd notice except on test patterns

LV426 said:
It will probably have (guesses based on some knowledge of the technology)

1: The same or higher native resolution
2: Poorer blacks
3: No flicker or refresh or rainbow or eyestrain issues for anybody
4: Possibly poorer overall colour uniformity but no so as you'd notice except on test patterns

The pictures on Sony LCD's have always been good. The two things I'll have to check are the black level and any chicken wire/screen door effect. I wonder if using 3 LCD panels improves these issues?

Cheers
Lee

Been to hughes today and seen the Sony KDFE50A12U and can confirm that it has the following connections : 2 x Scart, 1 x HDMI, 1 x Component

kmhtkmhtkmht said:
Will this Sony R0x0r my Sagem 56?

I always wondered what that word means, just looked it up in the urban dictionary.

now I know , will the Sony be l33t?

logiclee said:
The pictures on Sony LCD's have always been good. The two things I'll have to check are the black level and any chicken wire/screen door effect. I wonder if using 3 LCD panels improves these issues?

Cheers
Lee
Sony have always used 3 LCDs. In fact pretty well every LCD projection device, except some odd really early ones (Samsung or Sharp, I forget which), have.

pdbmjb said:
Been to hughes today and seen the Sony KDFE50A12U and can confirm that it has the following connections : 2 x Scart, 1 x HDMI, 1 x Component

it also has pc input :thumbsup:

logiclee said:
Probably a rival for the 50" Sagem but six hundred pounds less (Retail Price).

3LCD High Definition is a bit of an unkown in the UK but no doubt the magazines will be reviewing theese models soon.

Cheers
Lee

ive already tested the tv when we had it delivered last fri its not bad,its an improvement on the previous 3lcd range,ive got the tosh dlp and the picture is better on the tosh.ive not seen the sagem but i would think the sagem to will have a better picture :thumbsup: but as you say for £1399 its a lot of screen :smashin:

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom