Quantcast

Sony KDFE50A12 part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

logiclee

simon1 said:
Could anyone who owns this set please:

Confirm the clearance height between shelves.

Explain the plastic thing that hangs down from the top of the stand.
Didn't measure the bottom shelf but the middle shelf to the top is 9inches which is spot on for my Centre Speaker. The bottom shelf looks about the same clearance, I'll measure it Friday when mine arrives.

The little drop down shelf is removable but can be used for small centre speakers or small components.

Cheers
Lee

inovermyhead

Standard Member
QUOTE:I think i'll try a little sub conscious persuasion in the missus ear while she's asleep.. (Mind you, that hasn't worked to help me get me brown wings...). Then I'll approach the Sony centre in sunny Romford and get one from there. :rotfl: btw the set weighs 32.5 kg i have mine ordered as off friday so hope to have it up & running soon!! :thumbsup:

simon1

Novice Member
logiclee said:
Didn't measure the bottom shelf but the middle shelf to the top is 9inches which is spot on for my Centre Speaker. The bottom shelf looks about the same clearance, I'll measure it Friday when mine arrives.

The little drop down shelf is removable but can be used for small centre speakers or small components.

Cheers
Lee
Thanks Lee

The space between the bottom shelf and middle is the one I'm most concerned with, as this is where my fat amp goes.

I saw the set in Comet, but it is on their own stand (not the Sony).

gpender

Standard Member
I can't believe I've come in from a night out and have jumped on here rather than go to bed......such was my desperation to hear how Logiclee got on.....
Cheers for telling us how you got on Lee, I think I'm sold.... :thumbsup:

Anyone know what the standard warranty would be....I don't fancy paying the £220 premium if you get 2 years as standard from Sony anyway?

shodan

Distinguished Member
The way I figure it, in two years time technology would've moved on so far that you'd be hoping your tv has gone belly up as an excuse to buy a new one!!!

logiclee

gpender said:
Anyone know what the standard warranty would be....I don't fancy paying the £220 premium if you get 2 years as standard from Sony anyway?
I was looking at getting mine from Empire Direct, they said the Sony came with one year warranty. An extended warranty from them was £250 and then they wanted £50 delivery. Looking at Empire's web site they have just increased the price by £40 to £1227.10 giving a totol off £1527.10.

If you want a 3 year warranty then I doubt you will beat the Sony Centres offer at the moment, £1399 with 3 year warranty, free delivery and 12months 0% finance.

Cheers
Lee

bhoward2

Standard Member
Sony centre on Tottenham court road are not offering the 3 year warranty. Not sure why but they say it's not a Sony offer but an individual dealer offer. Any ideas on other London stores that have the deal!

Thanks

AndoverRed

Novice Member
I'm quite tempted by this screen. A 50" screen + stand for £1,250 is good value in my book.

However, if the picture quality is pap (technical term :D ) then its appeal diminishes.

I will visit my local Sony Centre for a demo. I intend to connect via component and HDMI (future).

What's the quality like via component Lee?

shodan

Distinguished Member
I went to Romford Sony Cente todday and they have this model on display. Sadly the 12 year old who works there wasn't very up on that model. Surprising really as its the largest one in there and the first large screen you see when you go in the shop!

Anyways, I thought it was a real good machine and the picture from the built in digital tuner was pretty good. I got them to put a couple of DVD's on for me, connected via normal componant, and the picture suddenly wasn't as great. It wasn't bad but you could see very very slight digital.... bits I suppose you'd call them (well I do anyway!). I was standing at 8' away which will be my viewing distance and when I lowered myself to the same sort of hight I'll be watching it from, ie sitting on the sofa, it was a better quality picture.
I've done some googling to find out the minimal viewing distance for a 50" screen and saw somewhere that it should be at least 6'5" away from the set. When I moved about 12' away the picture was awesome and very cinematic. There also seems to be lots of picture settings in the tv's menu's so I'm sure it could be calibrated better and also when it is played through a decent DVD player instead of a Sony all in one jobbie I'm sure the PQ will be greatly improved.

I'm going back there SAturday with the missus to get her opinion on it (although by her own admission she did say "It doesn't really matter what I think about it does it!") and if she doesn't run out of the shop screaming then I'll get the tv. CRedit rating permitting of course... If not then I'll have to save up!
Just one word of advice re the finance offers... It is on a 48 month credit finance scheme where if you want to pay within the first 12 months then it is interest free, but only if you pay within 12 months, after that it defaults to the 48 months, or 36 left as it would be, and the interest starts building.
If you want it delivered it is an extra £30 and that is only to the front door. I live in a flat aboev a shop so I want them to bring it up a flight of stairs which they will do for me if it is stipulated at the time. Installation is another £20. I may go for this solely so that someone else builds the LARGE stand and can lug the unit around for me and I don't have to worry about dropping it down a flight of stairs!!!

T

tntfoz

logiclee said:
If you want a 3 year warranty then I doubt you will beat the Sony Centres offer at the moment, £1399 with 3 year warranty, free delivery and 12months 0% finance.
I've just ordered this set from John Lewis (web site) for £1395 which of course comes with their 5 year warranty and free delivery (although no financing options).

Should arrive next Monday so I'll give it a thorough testing. It's not the prettiest of telly's to be sure (I like the new Sagems personally) but for £1400 with that warranty it's a steal.

Need to shop around for a decent DVD Recorder (preferably with HDD) that has HDMI on it - anyone got advice in this area?

Regards,

Tim.

the_pauley

Banned
You mean you've ordered a £1,400 telly without giving it a thorough testing first? :eek:

shodan

Distinguished Member
There's an old phrase about not buying a £30 pair of shoes without trying them on first, which means that paying £1400 for something and buying it blind is a bit of a shocking idea!!!

T

tntfoz

the_pauley said:
You mean you've ordered a £1,400 telly without giving it a thorough testing first? :eek:
:) I auditioned the set in Comet (Reading) which was fortunately running a decent DVD demo on it.

Comet in Slough also had it with a standard TV feed which didn't look that bad (surprising in Comet) although it was pipped to the post by the equally ropey picture on the Sammy SP7 next to it.

John Lewis also offer a 28 day no quibble return policy, so...

The "thorough testing" phrase was for the benefit of this forum - i.e. I'll post back here what my findings are...(sheesh!)

logiclee

AndoverRed said:
What's the quality like via component Lee?
I'll let you know tomorrow after I've got mine setup.

The Sony has quite a number of picture settings and I was informed they can be save to indvidual sources so it pays to have a play.
If you read my comments early in this thread you will see I wasn't impressed at first. It takes a bit of time to get the setup right and the Sony demands good input sources.

The JL offer looks good although the Sony shop did me free delivery as well. :)

I'm now all sorted for delivery, my old setup with 46" rear pro Toshiba has been stripped down completely. I've had to remove my front door to get the set out and it took three of us to lift it into the back of a Luton van.
It's now setup in my Father in Laws house, my old 43" Toshiba rear pro has been moved to my mums and my very old 33" Toshiba is now going spare. :D .

Looks like a couple of my leads will not reach the Sony as the Toshiba's connection are on the bottom and the Sony sits on a stand. :(

Cheers
Lee

shodan

Distinguished Member
Very exciting times!!! I'll be up for getting one of these in a week or so if my credit rating hasn't been smashed to bits requesting a mortgage the other day... (I've heard that when you put it to the bank, as it were, it immediately gives you a bad credit rating? To stop you from getting two mortgages out at the same time...).

step1528

Standard Member
Hi all,

:lesson:
Forgive me for any mistakes/repeated queeries as im new to the forum. I have been following this thread and researching the KDFE50A12 For around 2 weeks, I have had 2 demos in Comet and 1 in the Lincoln Sony Centre of both HD and RGB material; I like the looks, sound, and price of the TV in question, the picture quality seems great to me but admittedly I am an amateur in the AV world (Current set is a Panasonic 32” with a £50 Sony DVD player) :suicide: I am 90% sure the KDFE50A12 is the set to start me off in the AV world. If I can get these questions sorted I am hoping to buy it tomorrow.

1.Is it possible to play DVD’s in HD? Is there a method of up-rating them whilst playing through a pc or is this is not possible as the data is simply not there in the first place (if you know what I mean). Can this be done through the DVP-NS92V DVD player?

2.I have a high spec silent PC with a 9800 pro GC, if I were to link this to the TV using the DVI out would the image fill the screen/ be displayed at the correct resolution/native res of the TV? Would I have to apply a patch/driver? And will doing this damage the TV

3.The TV comes with a VGA input, I know this is analog but to me it just seems mad that sony did not make this DVI, is there any particular reason?

Any information on these questions would be great and assist in helping me get a good setup. Again, apologies for repeated questions/questions in the wrong forum but this forum seems to be clued up on all areas of AV :) .

Many thanks
Steve

logiclee

step1528 said:
Hi all,

1.Is it possible to play DVD’s in HD? Is there a method of up-rating them whilst playing through a pc or is this is not possible as the data is simply not there in the first place (if you know what I mean). Can this be done through the DVP-NS92V DVD player?
Many DVD players will upscale standard DVD to HD. It depends how good the equipment is as to how close the upscaled picture gets to HD. The Sony DVP-NS92V does upscale but I would go for the Denon 1920 myself.

2.I have a high spec silent PC with a 9800 pro GC, if I were to link this to the TV using the DVI out would the image fill the screen/ be displayed at the correct resolution/native res of the TV? Would I have to apply a patch/driver? And will doing this damage the TV

3.The TV comes with a VGA input, I know this is analog but to me it just seems mad that sony did not make this DVI, is there any particular reason?
Any information on these questions would be great and assist in helping me get a good setup. Again, apologies for repeated questions/questions in the wrong forum but this forum seems to be clued up on all areas of AV :) .

Many thanks
Steve
Sony gives the option of HDMI or VGA to connect your PC. I'm no PC tech but you should be able to use a DVI-HDMI converter cable or straight VGA.
You shouldn't have any problems with running the PC through the Sony and no need worry about screen burn either.

Cheers
Lee

step1528

Standard Member
Thanks for the quick reply Lee, i think this is the TV for me :) , ill take a look at the Denon 1920 over the weekend. Im going to the sony centre at lunch to see what deal they offer.

cant wait to get one:D

step1528

Standard Member
I thought it wasnt possible to run HD through VGA as its an analog? if this can be donei could convert DVI>VGA and connect directly to the TV at a resolution of 3.2 megapixels?

logiclee

Component input is analouge but will run HD.

You should be able to run 1280X720 though the VGA input as far as i know.

Probably know more later today. TV hasn't arrived yet.

Cheers
Lee

shodan

Distinguished Member
Come on Howard, come on Lee.. Get your sets and get them set up and reviews done! I'm gagging to go and get one of these!!!!

gpender

Standard Member
I run 1080 out to my CRT projector currently.
This comes from my computers graphics card (VGA) so yeah it will work.

Once/if I get this TV I'm just planning on making the neccessary adjustments on powerstrip to fill the 720 resolution...simple!... :rolleyes:

My Projector is analogue and it's obviously HD compatable, and the only means of getting signal to that is via an analogue connection so HD is not exclusive to digital, though I can't comment on how the likes of Sky will decide to transport the HD signal from their sets as thats a different story

logiclee

shodan said:
Come on Howard, come on Lee.. Get your sets and get them set up and reviews done! I'm gagging to go and get one of these!!!!
No sign of it yet. :(

Bored silly today, I have to stay in for the delivery but have no TV and no sound system as it's all stripped down to get the new TV in.
I've got my laptop and a little transitor radio for company.

I've got TV's in other rooms but as all my AV gear is disconnected they haven't got a picture on either.

Might have to get a book out at this rate. ;)

Cheers
Lee

step1528

Standard Member
cheers for the help guys, i just got back from the sony centre and i am picking mine up tomorrow morning :D :D :D

£1300 with 3 year warrenty.....should realy do some work now :rolleyes:

shodan

Distinguished Member
Just a bit of forward thinking here.. (If I don't get this TV I'm going to be gutted!!!). I'll be squirting the higher res PS2 (replaced PS 3 eventually) and DVD through it and I know the Sony has a built in Freeview tuner but I like my Pace Twin so want to use that. I know I can convert the SCART to componant and feed it into the amp then into the TV via Companent, which is what I'll be boing with all the video sources, but will it give a higher res on the Freeview as well or just the same as SCART only through the component input? Does that make sense???

logiclee

simon1 said:
Lee

Has it arrived yet?

Can you let me know the height between shelves?

Cheers

Simon
No it flaming well hasn't :mad:

Sony shop still say it is being delivered today.

Cheers
Lee

Status
Not open for further replies.