Quantcast

Sony KDFE50A12 part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

kmhtkmhtkmht

Makes my 2400 Quid Sagem look like I got ripped off!

but oh well, the connectivity of the Sagem is serious... Shame no Native HDMI but it does have a DVI.

logiclee

kourosh said:
ive already tested the tv when we had it delivered last fri its not bad,its an improvement on the previous 3lcd range,ive got the tosh dlp and the picture is better on the tosh.ive not seen the sagem but i would think the sagem to will have a better picture :thumbsup: but as you say for £1399 its a lot of screen :smashin:
Did you notice any chicken wire effect when viewing close up, say six feet away?

Was it able to produce decent blacks or just grey?

£1189 at Empire Direct. :smashin:

Cheers
Lee

twarde

Does anyone know if the LCD panels/optics of this TV are the same or based on the Sony HS50/51 projectors?

rdcox

Standard Member
kourosh said:
ive already tested the tv when we had it delivered last fri its not bad,its an improvement on the previous 3lcd range,ive got the tosh dlp and the picture is better on the tosh.ive not seen the sagem but i would think the sagem to will have a better picture :thumbsup: but as you say for £1399 its a lot of screen :smashin:
Hi Kourosh,

The Toshiba was another set that I am considering - if you were going to buy now would you go for the 52" Toshiba for £1399 or the Sony for £1189 (both at EmpireDirect). I like the Samsung 50" but the wife hates the pedestal stand and won't let me have it :suicide:

Cheers

AndoverRed

Novice Member
Who wears the trousers in your house? :D

Take a (pedestal) stand mate! You know it makes sense. Buy the wife some flowers and chocolate, then she'll come around.

You could always go for the Samsung SP46L7HX. This is available for circa £1,200. Good reviews on this forum.

kourosh

Distinguished Member
rdcox said:
Hi Kourosh,

The Toshiba was another set that I am considering - if you were going to buy now would you go for the 52" Toshiba for £1399 or the Sony for £1189 (both at EmpireDirect). I like the Samsung 50" but the wife hates the pedestal stand and won't let me have it :suicide:

Cheers
hi rdcox,i would still go for the toshiba,even though the sony is ok the tosh is better,ive had my tosh 6 months now and ive been very pleased with it.Lol i had the same probs at 1st i wanted the samsung but the mrs hated the look of the samsung why do we listen to our mrs i dont know :suicide: also thats a pretty got price for 52" I PAID £1500 for mine the other thing is tosh are bringing a new range out not sure when but im sure it will be more expensive than the current range :thumbsup:

rdcox

Standard Member
kourosh said:
hi rdcox,i would still go for the toshiba,even though the sony is ok the tosh is better,ive had my tosh 6 months now and ive been very pleased with it.Lol i had the same probs at 1st i wanted the samsung but the mrs hated the look of the samsung why do we listen to our mrs i dont know :suicide: also thats a pretty got price for 52" I PAID £1500 for mine the other thing is tosh are bringing a new range out not sure when but im sure it will be more expensive than the current range :thumbsup:
Thanks for the info Kourosh - dontcha just wish the womenfolk would stay out of things that don't concern them :)

Cheers

Jamesy_UK

Novice Member
Haha this is becoming a pandemic, I was originally after the 50" samsung but as soon as Wifey saw it she said theres no way your putting that ugly thing in our house ;) so when I have the funds im stuck with 46", maybe samsung should make a woman friendly pedestal.

kourosh

Distinguished Member
lol maybe we should put a thread up asking how many people have had to turn the sammy down because of there mrs :rotfl:

logiclee

Well I've had a look at the Sony today.

The Sony shop had a cheapo DVD connected to it by RGB Scart and the picture was excellent, blacks were solid and dark, colours were vibrant and no sign of any chicken wire effect from the LCD panels.
Things took a turn for the worse when he put a SKY channel on, there were noticable digital artifacts. He blamed the poor bit-rate from SKY but my old Toshiba 46" CRT produces good pictures from SKY.

I've noticed these artifacts on the Samsung and Sagem DLP sets as well. Do all high resolution screens suffer this problem on poorer inputs?

I've auditioned the 52" Toshiba DLP and it was awfull the slightest movement of the background results in massive smearing.

And while watching the Titanic sink on a Sagem DLP rear pro I could see rainbow's across the white peaks of the sea.

So I'm a bit stuck now, I do think the Sony 3LCD High Def is a true rival to the DLP sets and is far cheaper.

I'm just wondering if I'm thinking of changing from 46" CRT to 50" 3LCD high def too soon especially as we don't have HD broadcasting yet.

Cheers
Lee

LV426

Administrator
Staff member
logiclee said:
....Do all high resolution screens suffer this problem on poorer inputs?...
LCD (including direct view), Plasma, and DLP sets are much more revealing of digital artefacts in the broadcast. CRTs do seem to conceal this (unwanted) fine "detail". It's probably true to say that, in this respect, the CRT is actualy doing a technically worse job at displaying what's there.

logiclee said:
Well I've had a look at the Sony today.

The Sony shop had a cheapo DVD connected to it by RGB Scart and the picture was excellent, blacks were solid and dark, colours were vibrant and no sign of any chicken wire effect from the LCD panels.
Things took a turn for the worse when he put a SKY channel on, there were noticable digital artifacts. He blamed the poor bit-rate from SKY but my old Toshiba 46" CRT produces good pictures from SKY.

I've noticed these artifacts on the Samsung and Sagem DLP sets as well. Do all high resolution screens suffer this problem on poorer inputs?

I've auditioned the 52" Toshiba DLP and it was awfull the slightest movement of the background results in massive smearing.

And while watching the Titanic sink on a Sagem DLP rear pro I could see rainbow's across the white peaks of the sea.

So I'm a bit stuck now, I do think the Sony 3LCD High Def is a true rival to the DLP sets and is far cheaper.

I'm just wondering if I'm thinking of changing from 46" CRT to 50" 3LCD high def too soon especially as we don't have HD broadcasting yet.

Cheers
Lee
If you can wait I would hold on until Sony releases the SXRD sets here (Supposedly next year) I think they will be priced slightly higher than DLP but I saw 1 in the states last month and it was outstanding.

logiclee

fishblues2 said:
If you can wait I would hold on until Sony releases the SXRD sets here (Supposedly next year) I think they will be priced slightly higher than DLP but I saw 1 in the states last month and it was outstanding.
I may end up doing that, will be interesting to see how the SXRD sets cope with low bit rate standard Sky channels.

Cheers
Lee

the_pauley

Banned
ddlooping said:
Not sure what model you're refering to, logiclee, but the KDF-E50A12 is already available in the UK.
I had a quick demo of it at my local Sony Center (Chelmsford), and unfortunately was not impressed.
It is also on sale at £1399 (the 50") with free stand.
Ditto. Saw this on Saturday in my local Sony store. Some very obvious artefacts in the picture, both on DVD and digital broadcast (the latter was particularly bad) and, as with previous CRT and LCD sets of this type, it's very obvious that you're watching a rear-pro image.

Having said that, it's the best PQ I've seen from an LCD rear-pro, but not in the same league as the best DLPs.

the_pauley

Banned
logiclee said:
Rdcox - I've found the same on four different Toshibas that I've auditioned. Very bad smearing on horizontal movement and solarization issues.

Just do a search on these threads and you'll find more about the issues with this make. The new range coming out may be better, but the existing models need careful auditioning.

logiclee

the_pauley said:
Having said that, it's the best PQ I've seen from an LCD rear-pro, but not in the same league as the best DLPs.
I wouldn't say there is that much difference in the sets I've auditioned especially with the cheaper HD4 chipped DPL's like the Sagem **6LHX models.

I've not see any DPL's or LCD rear pro's that produce a better picture on current SD SKY or Freeview than my 4 year old 46" CRT rear pro. :(

It's really made me question whether I should upgrade before widespread HD broadcating is a reality.

Cheers
Lee

logiclee

kmhtkmhtkmht said:
DLPs still rule - Yippee!
I wouldn't feel comfortable saying that from what I've seen. The HD2+ sets are better than the LCD but they are not worth an extra £1000 IMO.

I'm going to audition the 50L6HX and the Sony 3LCD again and take some of my favorite DVD's along as well as looking at SD digital TV.

But unless I change my mind I'll stick with my 46" Tosh CRT

Cheers
Lee

LV426

Administrator
Staff member
kmhtkmhtkmht said:
DLPs still rule - Yippee!
Not if you are susceptible to Rainbows, they don't. In any case, this thread is about an LCD set.

kourosh

Distinguished Member
ran high def through the set today using hd1 sat and it looked really good was quite impressed shame tv and dvd is still not quite there :(

H

Hammer Schultz

Anyone know whats the difference between this set and the Sony KDF-E50A11E which is being sold in Germany and soon here in Finland?

Also what are the brightness and contrast ratios for this set?

logiclee

I've been back to the Sony shop today and had a good play with the settings and also turned off the flouresent light that was shining on the screen. With the constrast at 45, brightness at 50, sharpness 20, Warm Colour selected and Noise reduction on Auto the digital artefacts were hardly noticable when watching SKY from around 8 feet viewing distance. Freeview wasn't as good but I'm not really bothered about that. DVD looked good but it was only a £60 player through RGB scart. I'm going back in the morning to check it out on a HDMi equiped DVD and a HD feed. Taking iRobot along to view some fast moving pictures.
I'll be taking my wife along who is the hardest critic of HC gear there is, especially when spending loads of money. ;)

Cheers
Lee

bhoward2

Standard Member
Been thinking of getting this set so will be very interested in the result of your visit logiclee....Let us know :)

kourosh

Distinguished Member
Hammer Schultz said:
Anyone know whats the difference between this set and the Sony KDF-E50A11E which is being sold in Germany and soon here in Finland?

Also what are the brightness and contrast ratios for this set?
there is no different they are the same set :thumbsup:

gpender

Standard Member
Logiclee...how did you get on...I notice Makro's have these in now and at the money it's at I really want this to be good!

Also can anyone comment on it's size...the sony Website states it's only 408mm deep....that seems a bit to thin to me looking at the picture....the website also doesn't mention the HDMI, component and VGA input so I really don't trust it..........

Cheers
Greg

Status
Not open for further replies.