Quantcast

Sony KDFE50A12 part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

rdcox

Standard Member
Hi,

I'm considering buying the new Sony 50" RP - appears to be good value with Empire Direct selling at under £1200 with stand. Saw it in a Sony centre yesterday and it didn't look bad for the money. Anybody got any opinions on the set and does it compare favourably with other TV's of the same size and price?

Cheers
 
rdcox said:
Hi,

I'm considering buying the new Sony 50" RP - appears to be good value with Empire Direct selling at under £1200 with stand. Saw it in a Sony centre yesterday and it didn't look bad for the money. Anybody got any opinions on the set and does it compare favourably with other TV's of the same size and price?

Cheers
How desperate are you for a big HD TV (No HD from SKY until next year), Sony are supposed to be releasing their SXRD sets in the UK next year, they will blow the DLP and current Sony Rear Pro and sets out of the water (I know because I saw them in action last month in the states).

You will probably be looking at £2.5K for a 50" set but from what I saw it is well worth the money.
 

rdcox

Standard Member
Thanks for the info. Unfortunately my current CRT TV is about to die so will be looking for a new one sooner rather than later and 2.5k is too much. Also thought I may as well get HD if I'm going to get a new TV.

Cheers
 

logiclee

Well-known Member
[edit]
I'm interested how the Sony will perform, it should be available around £1100 by Christmas. Not bad for a 50" high def TV

Cheers
Lee
 

logiclee

Well-known Member
Anyone know if the Sony has component input?

Sony's site is a bit poor, doesn't even mention HDMI is the tech spec but it does on the features page. Only says 2 scarts as well. :confused:

Cheers
Lee
 
K

kmhtkmhtkmht

Guest
What exactly is this TV. I thought DLP are the ONLY rear projection efforts out there...
 

logiclee

Well-known Member
kmhtkmhtkmht said:
What exactly is this TV. I thought DLP are the ONLY rear projection efforts out there...
There are still a few SD CRT and LCD rear pro's on sale.

This new one from Sony is a HD Ready high definition LCD rear projection with three LCD panels, naturally Sony call the technology "3LCD"

The white light from the projection bulb is split, goes through three 1.08 Megapixel panels and is then rejoined before it goes on screen giving an effective resolution of 3.2 megapixels.

Sony say, but they would, that the technology gives more detail, better contrast and a wider dynamic range than most DLP sets without any Rainbow effect.

We will have to see as the model only hits the UK this month.

Cheers
Lee
 

ddlooping

Active Member
logiclee said:
We will have to see as the model only hits the UK this month.
Not sure what model you're refering to, logiclee, but the KDF-E50A12 is already available in the UK.
I had a quick demo of it at my local Sony Center (Chelmsford), and unfortunately was not impressed.
It is also on sale at £1399 (the 50") with free stand.
 

logiclee

Well-known Member
ddlooping said:
Not sure what model you're refering to, logiclee, but the KDF-E50A12 is already available in the UK.
I had a quick demo of it at my local Sony Center (Chelmsford), and unfortunately was not impressed.
It is also on sale at £1399 (the 50") with free stand.
Sorry, forgot we are now in October.

Sony's website says available September.

Can I ask why you were not impressed?

Cheers
Lee
 

ddlooping

Active Member
logiclee said:
Can I ask why you were not impressed?
Very hard to quantify, really.
I thought the black level was quite good but to the expense of details.
This black-crush could only be remedied by boosting the brightness, thus raising the black level considerably.
Also, the image appeared quite "dirty" - for lack of a better way of putting it - unless you stood at 9' or more.
This might have been due to the DVD player and connection used, though.

Still fairly good for the money, but I'd rather have a Panasonic PWD8, so far the best screen I have seen in that price-range, regardless of technology and resolution (except CRT TVs).

P.S: I used "Alien vs Predator" as the test DVD, as it is quite dark, and the transfer is sometimes fairly poor.
A difficult test for all screens.
 

logiclee

Well-known Member
The 42" and 50" 3LCD Sony's have now been added to the Comet web site so should be instore soon.

Local Sony shop hasn't got one yet. :(

Cheers
Lee
 

DLPMaybe

Active Member
Will these 3 LCD sets have the old CRT RPTV convergence issues? I got quite bored with forever having to correct the convergence and know that a day or two later it was not spot on anymore :suicide:

I would be suprised if this was not all automatic now but if somebody could confirm?
 

LV426

Administrator
Staff member
Nope. They don't drift like CRTs did. It's quite feasible for them to set up with bad alignment at the factory, but this is fixable (mechanically) and once fixed, stays fixed. I suspect that the tolerance is fairly tight, though. Certainly those I've seen have been perfect or damned close.

This isn't really a new technology. It's all much the same as LCD projectors have been for six + years (with inevitable improvements as time goes by).
 

logiclee

Well-known Member
LV426 said:
This isn't really a new technology. It's all much the same as LCD projectors have been for six + years (with inevitable improvements as time goes by).
That's right, one of the reasons I'm looking at them as it's proven technology.
I've had a Toshiba 46" CRT rear projection for four years and it's been great, no problems with convergence either.
I've been looking at DLP for a while but there are still issues around that are putting me off. I could see rainbows when viewing a Titanic DVD demo.

Now Sony have upped the LCD game to High Def if the PQ is good enough then it might be worth a go.

By the way 4 years ago my 46" Tosh was £2500, just shows how quickly things move on.

Cheers
Lee
 

logiclee

Well-known Member
kmhtkmhtkmht said:
Will this Sony R0x0r my Sagem 56?
Sorry mate, what are you asking?

Cheers
Lee
 
K

kmhtkmhtkmht

Guest
Will this particular model of television set being the Sony rival the Sagem 56 in any way shape or form?

AKA R0X0R?
 

logiclee

Well-known Member
Probably a rival for the 50" Sagem but six hundred pounds less (Retail Price).

3LCD High Definition is a bit of an unkown in the UK but no doubt the magazines will be reviewing theese models soon.

Cheers
Lee
 

LV426

Administrator
Staff member
It will probably have (guesses based on some knowledge of the technology)

1: The same or higher native resolution
2: Poorer blacks
3: No flicker or refresh or rainbow or eyestrain issues for anybody
4: Possibly poorer overall colour uniformity but no so as you'd notice except on test patterns
 

logiclee

Well-known Member
LV426 said:
It will probably have (guesses based on some knowledge of the technology)

1: The same or higher native resolution
2: Poorer blacks
3: No flicker or refresh or rainbow or eyestrain issues for anybody
4: Possibly poorer overall colour uniformity but no so as you'd notice except on test patterns
The pictures on Sony LCD's have always been good. The two things I'll have to check are the black level and any chicken wire/screen door effect. I wonder if using 3 LCD panels improves these issues?

Cheers
Lee
 

mjbtin

Well-known Member
Been to hughes today and seen the Sony KDFE50A12U and can confirm that it has the following connections : 2 x Scart, 1 x HDMI, 1 x Component
 
J

JayList

Guest
kmhtkmhtkmht said:
Will this Sony R0x0r my Sagem 56?
I always wondered what that word means, just looked it up in the urban dictionary.

now I know , will the Sony be l33t?
 

LV426

Administrator
Staff member
logiclee said:
The pictures on Sony LCD's have always been good. The two things I'll have to check are the black level and any chicken wire/screen door effect. I wonder if using 3 LCD panels improves these issues?

Cheers
Lee
Sony have always used 3 LCDs. In fact pretty well every LCD projection device, except some odd really early ones (Samsung or Sharp, I forget which), have.
 

kourosh

Distinguished Member
pdbmjb said:
Been to hughes today and seen the Sony KDFE50A12U and can confirm that it has the following connections : 2 x Scart, 1 x HDMI, 1 x Component
it also has pc input :thumbsup:
 

kourosh

Distinguished Member
logiclee said:
Probably a rival for the 50" Sagem but six hundred pounds less (Retail Price).

3LCD High Definition is a bit of an unkown in the UK but no doubt the magazines will be reviewing theese models soon.

Cheers
Lee
ive already tested the tv when we had it delivered last fri its not bad,its an improvement on the previous 3lcd range,ive got the tosh dlp and the picture is better on the tosh.ive not seen the sagem but i would think the sagem to will have a better picture :thumbsup: but as you say for £1399 its a lot of screen :smashin:
 
K

kmhtkmhtkmht

Guest
Makes my 2400 Quid Sagem look like I got ripped off!

but oh well, the connectivity of the Sagem is serious... Shame no Native HDMI but it does have a DVI.
 

logiclee

Well-known Member
kourosh said:
ive already tested the tv when we had it delivered last fri its not bad,its an improvement on the previous 3lcd range,ive got the tosh dlp and the picture is better on the tosh.ive not seen the sagem but i would think the sagem to will have a better picture :thumbsup: but as you say for £1399 its a lot of screen :smashin:
Did you notice any chicken wire effect when viewing close up, say six feet away?

Was it able to produce decent blacks or just grey?

£1189 at Empire Direct. :smashin:

Cheers
Lee
 

twarde

Active Member
Does anyone know if the LCD panels/optics of this TV are the same or based on the Sony HS50/51 projectors?
 

rdcox

Standard Member
kourosh said:
ive already tested the tv when we had it delivered last fri its not bad,its an improvement on the previous 3lcd range,ive got the tosh dlp and the picture is better on the tosh.ive not seen the sagem but i would think the sagem to will have a better picture :thumbsup: but as you say for £1399 its a lot of screen :smashin:
Hi Kourosh,

The Toshiba was another set that I am considering - if you were going to buy now would you go for the 52" Toshiba for £1399 or the Sony for £1189 (both at EmpireDirect). I like the Samsung 50" but the wife hates the pedestal stand and won't let me have it :suicide:

Cheers
 

AndoverRed

Novice Member
Who wears the trousers in your house? :D

Take a (pedestal) stand mate! You know it makes sense. Buy the wife some flowers and chocolate, then she'll come around.

You could always go for the Samsung SP46L7HX. This is available for circa £1,200. Good reviews on this forum.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar threads

Trending threads

Latest News

Panasonic TVs get BritBox streaming app
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Clearaudio Concept turntable re-launched as Active edition
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Teufel announces Cinebar Ultima and Cinedeck TV sound solutions
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sky adds 300 hours of Channel 5 box-sets
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung Smart TVs from 2012-2015 require update for BBC iPlayer
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Top Bottom