Sony KDF-E50A12U

kosymodo

I've had my Sony for a couple of weeks now, but am having a few problems finding the optimum picture settings. Have tried some combinations mentioned in other threads, but none seem to be any better than others...

I am using Sky+, and the problem I have is that the picture seems to be overly 'grainy' and 'pixelated', even allowing for the fact this is a BIG tv. There is no way I could say that I am getting a picture anywhere near crisp.

Also, I have my Sky+ box connected, via scart, to Ext1. I then have my dvd recorder connected, again via scart, to Ext2. If I view Sky through Ext1, the picture is worse than if I view through Ext2 (even with the dvd recorder off). Through Ext1 the picture (very noticeable on the Sky+ Planner screens) has vertical lines running through it. There are no such lines when viewing through Ext2.

Is it normal to experience white 'ghosting' around everything? For example, if subtitles are switched on, I obviously have the subtitles appear on-screen in white, then there is the black edging necessary to view the subtitles on a white background, but then I also have a white border surrounding the black edging.

Yellow things on white backgrounds are a complete mess, as they appear as yellow going into grey going into white, rather than yellow going into white (am I making myself clear here?)

I don't know if I am just having an unfounded moan, or if there is anything I can do to improve the situation. Any advice would be great! :)

RPD_UK

nik_kosy said:
I've had my Sony for a couple of weeks now, but am having a few problems finding the optimum picture settings. Have tried some combinations mentioned in other threads, but none seem to be any better than others...

I am using Sky+, and the problem I have is that the picture seems to be overly 'grainy' and 'pixelated', even allowing for the fact this is a BIG tv. There is no way I could say that I am getting a picture anywhere near crisp.

Also, I have my Sky+ box connected, via scart, to Ext1. I then have my dvd recorder connected, again via scart, to Ext2. If I view Sky through Ext1, the picture is worse than if I view through Ext2 (even with the dvd recorder off). Through Ext1 the picture (very noticeable on the Sky+ Planner screens) has vertical lines running through it. There are no such lines when viewing through Ext2.

Is it normal to experience white 'ghosting' around everything? For example, if subtitles are switched on, I obviously have the subtitles appear on-screen in white, then there is the black edging necessary to view the subtitles on a white background, but then I also have a white border surrounding the black edging.

Yellow things on white backgrounds are a complete mess, as they appear as yellow going into grey going into white, rather than yellow going into white (am I making myself clear here?)

I don't know if I am just having an unfounded moan, or if there is anything I can do to improve the situation. Any advice would be great! :)

If you are sat close (say less than 10 feet) from a 50" HD TV and are watching an SD source (like Sky+) then its never going to look perfect. The further way you are the better it will look. If Sky HD is an option then it may be worth the extra £10 a month.

Do you have any HD sources (like an Xbox 360 or a PC) you could use to see what the TV looks like with a VGA or HDMI source? This could tell you if your probelms are 'source' related or if there is a problem with the TV itself.

There is a small possibility that you have a faulty TV - so have a word with your supplier and see what they say - if they think there is a problem maybe they will swap it for a new one.

weyland-yutani

as far as i'm concerned the ideal viewing distance is watching this tv being driven away in the back of a lorry. you won't believe the PQ when it's completely out of view, simply stunning! and you'll feel a lot happier, too.:devil:

RPD_UK

weyland-yutani said:
as far as i'm concerned the ideal viewing distance is watching this tv being driven away in the back of a lorry. you won't believe the PQ when it's completely out of view, simply stunning! and you'll feel a lot happier, too.:devil:

Do i take it that you are not exactly 100% happy with your Sony then ?? :D

weyland-yutani

RPD_UK said:
Do i take it that you are not exactly 100% happy with your Sony then ?? :D

you are correct, sir! :(

kosymodo

Thanks guys

Yes, RGB is selected in the Sky+ menu.

Seriously considering Sky HD, but unsure if it will solve many problems, as I understand only a small percentage of programs are shown in a format (i.e. HD) any better than the Sky+ box presently does. Unless there is some kind of general PQ increase as a result of using a superior box (and HDMI connection)?

No HD sources to test with :( Have considered an upscaling DVD player, but this wouldn't prove/disprove anything much would it...

References to how far I sit from the TV are probably closer to the truth, as it's only perhaps 8'-10' :)

Mr Blunden

From what you have described in your OP there is a problem with either your connections or the TV.

I have Sky+ and my viewing distance is similar to yours and I do not have ghosting or vertical lines showing on the planner or subtitles.

Have a look at House on channel Five, if you don't get an excellent picture you have a problem somewhere.

RPD_UK

weyland-yutani said:
you are correct, sir! :(

Sorry to hear about that. Thought you were joking !!

Did you just get a 'bad un' then - or is it just not as good as you were hoping for ?

Lots of people seems very happy with this TV - yet some seem disappointed. Was considering one myself as the price has now dropped below £800 - though i'm also considering the LG 42" HD Plasma.

Should i steer well clear of the Sony then ??

weyland-yutani

i can only speak from personal experience. the SSE is truely appaling, the black levels suck, the freeview tuner is a joke. if you sit within 3 metres of it you WILL go mental. but like you say, people seem happy with it, so you pays yer money and yer take yer chances.

i paid £1200 for mine......right before they started giving them away with ****ing happy meals:mad:

sannybear

Standard Member
weyland-yutani said:
i can only speak from personal experience. the SSE is truely appaling, the black levels suck, the freeview tuner is a joke. if you sit within 3 metres of it you WILL go mental. but like you say, people seem happy with it, so you pays yer money and yer take yer chances.

i paid £1200 for mine......right before they started giving them away with ****ing happy meals:mad:

I paid nearly that for mine yesterday from a Sony Centre . Have you contacted Sony about your dissatisfaction ? . Surely the shop or dealer where you bought your set will be able to help .

RPD_UK

weyland-yutani said:

Well at least you haven't lost your sense of humour.

You could just stick it on Ebay - you may get lucky with a buyer just looking for something big to play their 360 on.

Better luck next time btw.

kosymodo

Further to my recent posts, here are some pics...

1st shows vertical lines through yellow banner (tv set to ext1 which should be sky input) Pic 1

2nd shows pure yellow banner (tv set to ext2 which should be dvd input) Pic 2

What would cause the difference between ext choices? Some kind of 'boosting' from the dvd player?

anacz1

Banned
this isn't Sky HD is it?

i'm guessing it looks the same on SD television/Freeview too; if so, there's nothing wrong with your tv is there :cool:

Garbage in = Garbage out.

try using a really good DVD Player/HDMI, because I saw exactly the same as this at the Sony Centre, but after the tv was set up correctly as i've mentioned; it was perfectly ok.

Freeview on this tv is truly appauling as was the SD broadcast i saw, dont forget; these signals are transmitted ``highly compressed`` so when expanded to 50'', you notice loads of missing detail, blur/ file compression/pixillation etc.

that is also not the dreaded SSE you're noticing, SSE is the ``frosted`` texture of the screen (that has to be there to capture and focus the projected image) and it's thus there in HD/HDMI too, but you dont notice it because it's not nearly as bad as those photos of yours..what you see there is a grid pattern! but SSE is a much finer ``frosted``texture.

what you're seeing there is a very poor signal only, that shows up on a 50'' screen; but doesn't on a 28'' CRT....simply because a 50'' screen is way too large for a poor quality signal.

dapex

I would have to disagree, after years of playing with LCD projectors I would say that is typical screendoor, the LCD panel is made up of loads of little squares, the lines are the gaps inbetween each section.

also curious about this whole conception that the picture gets bad because of the size of the screen, I watch films from sky fed into a projector by composite and this is displayed onto a 2m wide screen, this is the worst feed possible onto a big screen and it looks great???

anacz1

Banned
dapex said:
I would have to disagree, after years of playing with LCD projectors I would say that is typical screendoor, the LCD panel is made up of loads of little squares, the lines are the gaps inbetween each section.

also curious about this whole conception that the picture gets bad because of the size of the screen, I watch films from sky fed into a projector by composite and this is displayed onto a 2m wide screen, this is the worst feed possible onto a big screen and it looks great???

yes ok, so this is the way the screen is manufactured in comparison to the DLP; because the Sagem Axium doesn't have this grid pattern at all, but it still has the SSE.

but this on the Sony is also a very poor quality signal...DEFINITELY :eek:
because i've seen this too, Freeview/Sky are dreadful and dont improve at range; you can still see the faults at 15ft away..

in addition, these photos have been taken at extremely close range; so this grid pattern will show up anyway.

anacz1

Banned
weyland-yutani said:

yes, even my Sony Centre in Southampton aren't keen on the KDF50; ``wait till the SXRD comes out instead, it's a far better tv than this``

the big dissapointment is :- this years KDF2000 isn't an improvement on last years, because it should've been a totally upgraded rebuild..... mind you if it was, it would've been too expensive and also too similar to the SXRD :cool:

Sony want to saturate the market, so they're selling top of the range tv's and also a budget tv too, which is a damned site better than what Samsung are doing...i.e sweet F.A.

Samsung are the biggest disapointment this year, a total disaster; they're focusing on the LCD.

my guess is, Sagem Axium are about to release a new range of tv's; because they too; like Sony, are very ambitious!

now they've starting to sell their DLP's in America (might have already being doing this for some time, i'm not sure), but selling anything less than 1080p over there is a waste of time nowadays; so expect the next releases from Sagem to hopefully be 1080p; now this makes sense!

but unfortunately i'm running out of time and refuse to wait any longer, i must buy something in september or i'll go stir crazy :suicide:

kosymodo

Quick question folks - is there a difference between the scarts on this set? I called a Sony Centre, and the salesguy thought only Ext2 was RGB-enabled, but the user guide doesn't mention this though.

Would this theoretically explain the difference in PQ on different scarts?

Mr Blunden

Both scart sockets are RGB enabled on the Sony, but only one of the two scart sockets on your Sky box is RGB enabled.

Could that be the problem?

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom