Sony KDF-E50A12U Where to Buy

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by jay61076, Nov 1, 2005.

1. jay61076

jay61076

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    So I'm really wanting this Tv but I have been put off by the bulb cost. Is there any stores that cover the bulbs under warrenty e.g. argos or any of them as Robert Whytes looks the part but no details

Thanks
    in advance
    Jay

2. jay61076

jay61076

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    So I would like to ask agian has anyone any Idea if any retailers offer a warrenty that covers the bulds?

Thanks in advance
    Jay

3. daKlone

daKlone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I'd have thought it would be unlikely that any warranty would cover consumables such as bulbs. It would be like your car warranty covering brake pads - the warranty provider knows for a fact that they will need replacing so it is less of a warranty and more of a maintainence issue.

4. jay61076

jay61076

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    So what is the real life of the bulbs then as there so many threds on this

5. kourosh

kourosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,125
    i wouldnt worry about bulbs :rolleyes: just enjoy the set :D i would be very suprised if you didnt get min 5yrs out the set :thumbsup: and by then tech nology would have moved on and you will be buying something else

6. gameboy1

gameboy1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Regarding Bulbs and the guarantee here’s the reply I got from JL Yesterday which seems sufficiently explicit:

“Thank you for your recent email regarding the Sony 50 inch LCD rear projection Television.

Unfortunately I have no timescale as to when we may potentially stock this item and I would therefore encourage you to make regular visits to our website to view our extended product range.

Regarding the query about the 5 year guarantee, this covers all parts and labour costs, which means the LCD bulb would also be replaced free of charge. For further information please visit http://www.johnlewis.com/Help/Help.aspx?HelpId=17.

As for the offer of the stand for the television, please be advised that this product comes with a free stand regardless of when it is purchased.”

You can register on their site to be emailed when the stock becomes available.

7. shadieb

shadieb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Yay! Mine is arriving Thursday morning from John Lewis, I didn't expect the 5 year warranty to cover the lamp :clap: :clap: :clap: Bonus!

8. bones1958

bones1958

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I agree with shadieb.

Not what I was told in the Edinburgh store when I enquired about the 5 yr warranty. They definitely said bulb replacement was not covered as it would be considered to be "normal wear and tear" and not a 'fault' with the TV.

In some ways - makes sense :mad:

But just who is right. Good thing for you gameboy1 is you have it in writing.

Lesson maybe to be learned - get all confirmations like this in writing :D

9. shadieb

shadieb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Hmmmm! I thought it was too good to be true, heres some text taken from John Lewis site regarding their guarantees :-

Guarantees, warranties and helplines
    Guarantees
    We always honour the manufacturer's guarantee period where offered; these are usually one year unless otherwise stated. Please see individual product pages for details.
    In addition to the first year manufacturer’s guarantee we provide a free second year service guarantee on large electrical appliances, computers, non-portable hi-fi equipment, DVD and VHS players/recorders and camcorders. This includes accidental damage cover on large electrical appliances only and, where appropriate, frozen food loss insurance, subject to certain terms and conditions listed below.

(If you have purchased a television, your service guarantee is automatically 5 years, or 3 years for a John Lewis large electrical appliance. Both are also subject to the following.)

This additional service guarantee provides :

A repair service in the event of breakdown of any functioning part of your product, for a period of one year after the expiry of the manufacturer’s one year guarantee.
    We will provide the repair service without charge up to a cost equal to the original purchase price paid for the product.
    All repair services are provided by authorised service technicians.
    If we decide your product cannot be repaired, or is uneconomical to repair, we will replace it with the same model. If it is no longer available, we will provide an alternative of similar specification and quality.
    Occasionally, you may have to pay for the repair and claim the cost of the repair from us.

These service and repair costs are excluded from the guarantee

Repairs due to breakdown caused by use other than domestic by you or family, or by deliberate damage or neglect of the product.
    Consumer replaceable items including, but not limited to, batteries, light bulbs and other consumables. Cosmetic damage and/or non-functional parts which do not affect the normal use of the product including cabinet trim, scratches and rust.
    The unblocking of drainage channels or refrigeration products.
    Work which relates to a manufacturer’s recall of the product.
    Any loss suffered as a result of not being able to use the product, or any loss other than the repair or the replacement cost of the product.
    We reserve the right to charge for the expense of a service call when no fault has been found with the product after we have inspected it.
    Extended warranties
    If you wish, you have the opportunity to purchase an extended warranty on many electrical products, in order to cover repair costs once the manufacturer's guarantee has expired. Please click here for further information, or call 0870 010 7887 with details of your purchase and your credit or debit card details to hand. You can do this within 30 days of buying the item, and you can cancel the John Lewis Service Plan policy without penalty in the first 45 days of taking it out.
    Helplines
    We offer access to a 90 day helpline when you buy a new desktop or laptop computer from John Lewis. The helpline is on hand to give advice on your computer's operating system software, printing difficulties, Internet compatibility and software configuration. The service is available for a period of 90 days from the date you make your purchase, and you can call the helpline on 0870 600 0060 from 8am to 11pm, seven days a week. National call rate applies.
    When you buy a computer from us, we also offer a computer installation and start-up tuition service from £49.50. Please ask for details in computer departments in our shops, and take proof of purchase with you.

If you need help with any other product on our website, please email our Customer Service team or telephone on 08456 049 049, any time between 7am and midnight, 7 days a week.

Heres a link to the page :-

John Lewis Guarantees

This clarifies for me that the lamp is not covered which I didn't expect it to be. Shame as it would have been a nice bonus to purchasing from JL.

Cheers.

10. bones1958

bones1958

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Yeah - I think anyone would be hard pushed to find a warranty or guarantee that covers bulb replacement - despite what others have said or been told or believe they've been told in other threads on this subject - and I guess that goes for 'true' DLP's like the Samsungs & Sagems as well :thumbsdow

11. shadieb

shadieb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Bones1958.
    Just read your earlier message where the Edinburgh store said lamps were not covered as it would be classed as normal wear and tear. All I can say is I've got to agree with them. Its like getting a printer manufacturer to guarantee their ink cartridges against running out of ink.
    I could understand Sony or the retailer offering to replace lamps that blow prematurely ie. in the first few months, but not after that.

To be honest I didn't buy the TV with any thoughts of having to replace the lamp.
    If it came to needing to replace it in the future then I would just shop around and find the best value replacement I could.
    It certainly wouldn't influence my decision in purchasing a rear pro TV.
    I curerntly own a 42 inch Sony SX200 which I have had for over 18 months and it still looks as good as now as it did when I bought it and its had what I would class as above average use.
    It must be okay still has when I mentioned to family and friends that i was upgrading to the 50 inch I had no end of decent offers for my KF42SX200.

Life is too short to worry.