Sony KDF-E50A12U, Now up and running.

logiclee

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

After staying in all day Friday the TV turned up at 8pm. Just had time to build the stand and plug everything up before bed time for a 4am start at work.

I've been home a couple of hours so I'll give my first thoughts.

Switched off the set looks fantastic, much better than my old 46" Toshiba. (See Pics Below)

The sreen is reflective and doesn't like any light shining on the screen, my Tosh had a frosted screen and didn't suffer as much.

I'm still playing with the settings but my findings instore are still correct. From 8 to 10 feet away the set does a good job of freeview but seems to like Sky through RGB better. I'm currently running an early Toshiba DVD but even with this outputting 575i through component the pictures are fantastic.
I must now buy a 720p upscaling DVD and can't wait for HD.

One thing I don't like is the Audio out from the TV. If you are using a seperate amp you have to disable the onboard speakers in a menu then turn the volume up to get a signal from the phono outputs.

I'll post more findings when I've had more of a play.

I'm very, very impressed with the black level and the contrast, blows my old CRT rear pro to bits.

Overall I love it. :D :thumbsup:

So some pictures then.

Before... my 4 year old 46" Toshiba.
logichc.jpg

The new Sony.
newhc1.jpg

newhc2.jpg

starwars02HC.jpg

starwars01HC.jpg

Cheers
Lee

Hey thats fantastic!!! The missus and I went to Sony Centre in Romford today and she really liked it! However the staff in there was VERY UNHELPFUL and made us feel like they didn't want to sell the unit! And they refused point blank to attempt to make any sort of deal! Grrrrrrrrrr!!! Has made me feel like I don't want to do business with them!
The only reason why I'd now consider going with them would be for the 12 months interest free credit. I'm now considering paying £200 a month for 6 months instead just to avoid doing business with them!!!

Logiclee, can I also ask, what is your viewing distance from the TV? Mine is about 8ft away. While that sounds ok, I'm not convinced as I think about 10-12ft away would be ideal!

I had the same problem with a salesman in Sony Mansfield, I ended up doing an half hour drive to Derby where the staff were helpfull and the shop got my money. :)

Just had the tape measure out. :)
My wife sits on the Sofa which is slightly to the side of the screen and 7ft away from the centre of the screen.

The two chairs where I sit look directly at the screen and are 9ft away from the screen

To be honest if I was looking at 6ft I'd go for the 42" version, at 8ft I think you would be fine.

Cheers
Lee

logiclee said:
One thing I don't like is the Audio out from the TV. If you are using a seperate amp you have to disable the onboard speakers in a menu then turn the volume up to get a signal from the phono outputs.
You need to try extracting some audio from one of the SCARTs then. I guess at least one of them will offer an output. Of course, you are only using the audio out for things the TV itself has received via its tuner, right? All other sources' audio go straight to your amp, don't they?

LV426 said:
You need to try extracting some audio from one of the SCARTs then. I guess at least one of them will offer an output. Of course, you are only using the audio out for things the TV itself has received via its tuner, right? All other sources' audio go straight to your amp, don't they?

Yeh, I hadn't thought of that.

I need to do some head scratching and will probably need a Scart to six phono lead but it is do-able.

And yes, it's only to get audio to the amp for general TV viewing in Pro-logic11.

Cheers
Lee

Lee, could you measure the top of the unit please? I'd like to know how wide it is so I know before hand whether or not my velodyne deco satallite centre speaker will fit safelt on top of it.

Cheers!

ok silly question time does the set not have pic in pic? i cant for the life of me work it out some website reviews said it had pic in pic :confused:

Looks nice :smashin:

What's the viewing angle like ? I had a 50" Grand Wega nearly 3 years ago and unless you sat in the sweet spot it looked really washed out.

But having tried a couple of plasma's and a couple of LCD's I am now looking into RP sets :rolleyes:

Don't suppose you've got a PC to hook up to see how it handles a 720p feed over HDMI ?

Cheers, Lee

From when I was looking at it in the shop, the viewing angle is superb!

I'm not at home at the moment but I'll measure the top shelf as requested when I get home around 5pm.

The set does not have picture in picture.

The viewing angle is suberb, you nearly have to be viewing it side on before you loose contrast. Sony quote 130 degrees in the manual for optimum viewing.

Cheers
Lee

loonatic said:
Looks nice :smashin:
Don't suppose you've got a PC to hook up to see how it handles a 720p feed over HDMI ?

Cheers, Lee

I haven't but I watched a hi-def demo at the Sony store and it looked amazing. It was at the side of a near £6k Plasma and there wasn't that much difference apart from the Plasma being a little brighter and richer.

Cheers
Lee

Hi,
Been following both threads on this TV with great interest as I'm definitely considering a purchase. Price seems to be a steal and I've been looking everywhere for "the catch" !!

Q for Logiclee - you say there is no Picture In Picture (?) - yet the www.sony.co.uk site specification states under the Picture Tech Specs

Dynamic Picture & Picture
YES

Dynamic Picture & Text
YES

Just wondered if you hadn't "found this feature" yet or does the above Sony description mean something else ?

I've read the manual back to front (Sad I know. ;) ) and there is no mention of P in P.

The before picture was taken months ago. :) I don't usually let anyone put anything on the Sub, I must have slipped up that day. :smashin: :D

Cheers
Lee

The catch could be the price of replacement bulbs as the Sagem Hd45 has a life of approx 6000 hrs and costs approx £470 when I looked on the net! I do not know what the bulb life of the Sony is anyone have any idea?
bones1958 said:
Hi,
Been following both threads on this TV with great interest as I'm definitely considering a purchase. Price seems to be a steal and I've been looking everywhere for "the catch" !!

Q for Logiclee - you say there is no Picture In Picture (?) - yet the www.sony.co.uk site specification states under the Picture Tech Specs

Dynamic Picture & Picture
YES

Dynamic Picture & Text
YES

Just wondered if you hadn't "found this feature" yet or does the above Sony description mean something else ?

SPRINGERS said:
The catch could be the price of replacement bulbs as the Sagem Hd45 has a life of approx 6000 hrs and costs approx £470 when I looked on the net! I do not know what the bulb life of the Sony is anyone have any idea?

Sony quote 30000 hours for the bulb. I sure Samsung are quoting 45000hours for their DLP's

Cheers
Lee

Jperf said:
Hi logiclee
check you PMs please ;)

Replied to your pm. :)

I'm sorry I don't have MSN on my works PC.

Most of my thoughts and reviews can be seen on the other Sony KDFE50A12U thread.

Cheers
Lee

logiclee said:
Replied to your pm. :)

I'm sorry I don't have MSN on my works PC.

Most of my thoughts and reviews can be seen on the other Sony KDFE50A12U thread.

Cheers
Lee
OK no problem, that's because I plan to buy this 3LCD so I need feedbacks :smashin:

Interested in one of these :)

I currently have the KF42SX200 which I have been very happy with for the last 2 years.
From what I have managed to find out, the KDFE50A12 seems to be about the same dimensions as my KF42SX200 but with a 50 inch screen ratherthen a 42. I should be able to position it in the same space and have a bigger screen which sounds great to me :)
Anybody able to give us the exact height and width when sat on the stand?

Anybody got anything negative to say about this TV?

Anybody know the best / cheapest place to buy who will do quick or next day delivery? I know of Robert Whyrtes as I got my 42 inch from them, then theres John Lewis or Empire, anywhere else that can get the TV out to me this week?
I would also like to buy from somewhere offering the free 5 year warranty and I would like the stand that is supplied.

My only gripe so far is that it says it only has 2 scarts where I am using all 3 on the KF42SX200 but I know I can get around this minor problem.

Thanks for all your help.

Read the other thread.....that details the various prices we all paid for the unit :)

I have been through the other thread but haven't been able to fathom out who is regarded as the best supplier with the best warranty etc. Any pointers? :)

Cheers.

just purchased sony kdfe 50a12u from mackro for £1175 bought sony vcr slve 740 and sony darrd 100 dvd home cinema can any tell me how to hook them up as i am new to all this cannot record freeview through vcr thanks in advance ian

I've just checked my local Makro and they had no stock :(
Did Makro offer a free 5 year warranty and did it come with the stand because it might be worth me driving to another Makro store to try and get one if they supply the extras?

If not then it will prolly be John Lewis or Robert Whyte.

Cheers :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom