Sony KDF-E50A12

CluelessJim

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks, i am new here but have been looking for a new HD-Ready TV for some time.

I have pretty much set my sights on a Rear Projection TV for now as they seem to offer the best balance of screen size, features and price. Having taken more than a few looks at the Samsung SP-50L7HX I was pretty sure that it was the set for me.

Then I stumbled across this new range from Sony which seems to offer a very similar box specification wise but at £1400 according to Sony's website. This got me doubting myself as to whether to go for the Samsung or hold out for this new set and see what its like. This set seems to have the benefit of being able to be placed on any stand rather than the Samsung which has its all in one pedestal.

My only concern is it uses what I believe to be a new technology 3LCD, which according to the Sony website differs somewhat from the technology used in the Samsung.

My questions are such;

Does anybody know anything about this new 3LCD technology other than what Sony have on their website? (is it better or worse than the normal DLP technology)
Will the set be of comparable quality in both picture and sound to the Samsung box?
Has anyone seen one yet for sale in the UK and witnessed its performance?

I hope somebody out there can provide me a with some helpful details, i look forward to your replies.

It's not new technology. It may be a new incarnation, but 3LCD has been about for longer than DLP.

Asking a question like this in a DLP forum will inevitably get you a raft of responses about how DLP is best, since most of the contributors here have already made that decision for themselves.

The balanced reply, though, is that LCD and DLP produce a subtly different quality of image and some prefer the one over the other. My preference is for LCD as I'm very very sensitive to the rainbow and eyestrain artefacts of DLP.

My suggestion to you is to wait until you can see one of these new model TVs for yourself..........since only you can decide which you prefer.

If you want to find out more about this particular TV, then I suggest you ask your questions in the LCD TV Forum.

Thanks for the reply LV426, i didn't know which forum was best to post in as the sony set is LCD and rear projection.

I am waiting for Comet / Currys to get one of the sets in so i can take a look at it.

CluelessJim said:
Hi Folks, i am new here but have been looking for a new HD-Ready TV for some time.

I have pretty much set my sights on a Rear Projection TV for now as they seem to offer the best balance of screen size, features and price. Having taken more than a few looks at the Samsung SP-50L7HX I was pretty sure that it was the set for me.

Then I stumbled across this new range from Sony which seems to offer a very similar box specification wise but at £1400 according to Sony's website. This got me doubting myself as to whether to go for the Samsung or hold out for this new set and see what its like. This set seems to have the benefit of being able to be placed on any stand rather than the Samsung which has its all in one pedestal.

My only concern is it uses what I believe to be a new technology 3LCD, which according to the Sony website differs somewhat from the technology used in the Samsung.

My questions are such;

Does anybody know anything about this new 3LCD technology other than what Sony have on their website? (is it better or worse than the normal DLP technology)
Will the set be of comparable quality in both picture and sound to the Samsung box?
Has anyone seen one yet for sale in the UK and witnessed its performance?

I hope somebody out there can provide me a with some helpful details, i look forward to your replies.

i set up 1 of these sets on wed(sony centre) the set is a vast improvment on the previous 3 lcd sets,the picture quality from freeview is not to bad,i also hooked my hdmi player to it and ran gladiator superbit and it looked pretty good :thumbsup: but its not quite as good as dlp,i have the tosh dlp and i think the picture quality is better but then again at £1399 you cant moan about a 50" screen which is hd ready were having a hd sat installed next week it would be interesting to see what the quality is for hd like :thumbsup:

Thanks for the reply kourosh, could you possibly post some details once you get your HD satelite feed?

I know it is a cheaper set than the Samsung, but i prefer the fact that it doesnt have a built in stand.

CluelessJim said:
Thanks for the reply kourosh, could you possibly post some details once you get your HD satelite feed?

I know it is a cheaper set than the Samsung, but i prefer the fact that it doesnt have a built in stand.

Jim I would wait for the sony sxrd sets to come out in the UK if you can (kourosh posted on another thread that a Sony spokesman said they are going to be released in the UK next year), I saw them in the states last week alongside the sony 3LCD tvs and DLP TV's, SXRD blows 3LCD and DLP out of the water and there is no rainbow effect to worry about.

CluelessJim said:

sure jim not a prob as soon as its hooked up will let you know :thumbsup:

thanks Kourosh,

fishblues, do you have any links or model numbers? is it something that is released already in the US?

the uk version is gonna be 55" of pure beast it will wipe the floor and beat all dlp's,specially a certain 46"samsung ;)

That looks awesome! I think I am just going to have to wait for that to come out here.

From the details it looks like it is 1080p native resolution, that will mean being able to play PS3 at its highest res and all for sub $4000. And the set itself looks so much nicer than the KDF-E50A12.

Is there an ETA for when this will arrive in the UK? I may have to start doing the overtime to afford it!

when i was at sony's headquarters back in may time i was told late dec early jan i dont know if its still the case but as soon as i know i will let you guys know :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom