1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony KDF-E50A12 - 3yr Free G'tee via leaflet?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by simon1, Oct 30, 2005.

1. simon1

simon1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    As someone has already posted, the set is being sold by Argos. It's not featured in the normal current catalogue, but is listed on the website under 'LCD & Plasmas'.

It is featured in Argos's new christmas catalogue (as advertised on tv), where it lists the stand separately @ £249.99. Next to the listings, it states that the stand is offered free AND a 3 yr guarantee is offered free - via instore/in pack leaflet.

From reading the other 50A12 forums, it appears that many Sony Centre stores were offering 3yr g'tee too. So the question is, can persons purchasing elsewhere get this 3 yr g'tee for free - as it would seem to be a SONY UK promotion.

I'm sure many others will be interested in this who've already purchased or intend to buy at Makro, Comet, or anywhere else.

I've already got mine ordered through a mail order catalogue, where I managed a similar price to the high st, plus free delivery and interest free credit.

Can anyone confirm this?

2. bones1958

bones1958

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I guess a quick phone call to Argos Tele Sales will confirm. I'll give them a call and post back.

3. bones1958

bones1958

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Argos tele sales confirm that 3 year guarantee is for the TV :thumbsup:

Not a bad deal then (?) - given you have 16 days to 'road test' the TV in your own home rather than relying on the less than perfect alternative of getting Currys or Comet to set things up indvidually for you using DVD player, etc.

Worth thinking about. :)

4. vipergrm

vipergrm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    But is the guarantee from SONY or ARGOS??? I too have heard a few people buying the set from Sony Centres with 3 years warranty but I wasn't offered it when I bought mine.

5. bones1958

bones1958

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Mention of an "In Pack Leaflet" suggests it's with SONY. Wouldn't think Argos would be stuffing 3 year guarantees into their SONY Bravia TV packs for Free ? :)

Although I phoned their tele-sales, I've also e-mailed their Customer Services to confirm the Guarantee offer. Something in writing, so to speak, is easier to follow up than a call to someone who may not be fuly sure, although the girl I spoke to did sound convinced it was for the TV.

I didn't ask the specific question though - who the Guarantee is with ?

Will post back when I get an e-mail reply from Argos CS.

6. loz

loz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,796
    On the website it lists the Stand as free, and the 3 yr warranty as extra :confused:

7. tntfoz

tntfoz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you want to pick this up from a store (instead of penny pinching via web retailers) then I recommend picking it up from John Lewis.

£1395 with stand plus 5 years warranty and free delivery.

:smashin:

8. bones1958

bones1958

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I probably agree - 5 year warranty is better than 3 year - but JL in Edinburgh, and also their website, don't have it in stock ATM. The Edin JL, because they don't stock it in store could apparently put it on order but can't estimate a delivery date.

Also bear in mind, and this seems to be the most important point, any warranty, no matter how long it is for, won't cover replacement bulbs. It seems these sets are most likely to need bulb replacing at some stage. Yes - warranty needed for anything else that goes wrong but most of the discussion in various posts on this forum is about bulbs.

Plus Argos have their 16 day NQMBG. Maybe more important for me as I'm still torn between the SONY A12 and the Samsung SP46L6 - for different reasons :confused: :rolleyes:

9. vipergrm

vipergrm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    I too have been torn between these two sets for over a month. I initially ordered the Samsung SP46L6 from Pixmania after reading so many good reports about it here. They messed about with their stock and so I decided to cancel it. I ordered the Sony 50A12 on Friday because I learned more about this set when I cancelled the Samsung. I saw them both in operation and in terms of pic quality, they were both excellent considering the rubbish feed at Currys. I found the vertical viewing angle on the Sony to be much better. I also found the black levels to be pretty impressive on both sets.

To be honest, I didn't even consider the Sony until I saw it in Currys. I then began to read more about it on this site and it helped me make my decision. I may have missed out on the Samsung but only time will tell.

Both sets have a VERY simliar spec. I think the Sony looks better and the stand also looks great. The Sonly, oddly enough doesn't have Picture in Picture for some reason but I'm not too worried about that. From what I've read, we're gonna have to do a lot of tweaking regardless of which set we end up with.

10. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    Considering this set is supposed to have a 30,000 hour life expectancy on bulbs I don't think you'll be worrying about replacement too often.

11. loz

loz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,796
    Have you got a reference/link for that?

Projector bulbs are more often 3,000 rather than 30,000.
    Best ones are still 4 digits aren't they?

If the Sony bulbs do last for 30,000 that is a major plus point and might tip me in their direction

12. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    Actually the bulbs in the new set of Rear Pro TVs, DLP or LCD, range from 8000 to 45,000 depending on the manufacturer and who you talk to. It's been covered quite a lot in this forum. The Samsung SP46 was rated at 8000-10000 hours but then someone said they had an email from Samsung stating 45000 hours. Even 8,000 hours is a good 3 year+ with average viewing.

The 30,000 hour Sony figure came from another poster who, if I can remember, got it from the official Sony literature.