1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sony KDEP42XS1 vs the pioneer 435FDE

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by nonikandola, Dec 5, 2004.

1. nonikandola

nonikandola

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    which is the better tv pq wise

i will use the tele for sky+ and playstation 2 and xbox
    also if possible good u give us a good price for the two and where to shop online

i was lookin at comet online
    pioneer http://www.comet.co.uk/comet/html/cache/455_220353.html
    sony http://www.comet.co.uk/comet/html/cache/455_207799.html
    please dont take into account the cost

thoughts please on the pioneers lip sync problems on sky+
    and sonys hdtv compatability issues

i will be buyin one of the 2 tommorow so please give us ur thoughts im a complete novice

cheers!!

2. nonikandola

nonikandola

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Come on guys little help please im gettin one of them tommorow

3. peezee

peezee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd say PQ wise they're in the same bullpark. Sony has done a terrific job to get an outstanding picture quality out of an ALiS glass, which others only try to...

However the Pio has a major advantage in terms of future proofing: it has a digital video input (HDMI) which supports all standard HDTV formats at both 50 and 60Hz. Iow it's ready for HDTV whenever it comes, in whatever form - HDTV, HD-DVD, BluRay, R1 or R2 DVDs, ...

Same can't be said for the Sony's, which don't have even a single digital input connection. Although, it's still unclear today how much of a no-go this will be in the future for HDTV...

In any case, I don't quite understant that you're prepared to buy such expensive pieces of electronics without checking them out first yourself... or have you?

4. nonikandola

nonikandola

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i will be doing tommorw but i still would like some input. you never can fully trust the "salesmen" so u reakon there about the same but the pio has future compatabilty. BUt what about this lip sync issue i hear about associated with it. also what about the burn in factor with both the pio and sony

5. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Everyone runs scared of burn in, but unless you are an idiot you won't suffer. Basically don't leave a game on pause and go to the pub. Of their type, these screens are good, but Pezee is right, the Sony has no digital input, and they are all the rage, the video world is moving reluctantly and problematically in that direction. It's driven by copy protection, not really quality as such, but that doesn't alter the case. I think the sony is overpriced for what it is, after all you could get the Hitachi they canniballised to make it for about 1k less. Typical Sony I suppose, do it a bit better and charge a lot more. But please don't take a salesman's word for it, see them first, properly set up. That might be tricky, as these 2 are usually sold in high street chains where setup is a dirty word, so best of luck.

6. peezee

peezee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    nearly all plasmas have some amount of lip sync issue, some more than others depending on how their video processing is designed. Some HC amps have a programmable audio delay so you can compensate for the video delay. If it's in your plans, an HCPC is also a good way to do this; otherwise you can also find some dedicated boxes that do just that: delay an audio signal, but I find 'em expensive for that single task.

As for burn-in, as per MAW's comments, you just need to be a normal wise consumer and you're off trouble. Btw Pioneer and Sony plasma's aren't known for being prone to burn-in, so I think you can put your mind at ease there (unless you're planning to have a PC connected 100% of the time to yr plasma, but you're not, are you?).