1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony KDEP42XS1 or Panny?

Discussion in 'Sony TVs Forum' started by A.I., Feb 6, 2005.

1. A.I.

A.I.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +275
    All I seem to hear about is Pannys. Is Sony not up to the mark? :eek:

Sony KDEP42XS1 looks cool and seems to have all the bells and whistles.

This 'Non-Panny' sells at around £2600 depending where you like to spend your dosh.
    Sony Plasmas R 2 Kool[/URL]
    http://www.valuedirect.co.uk/content/products/details/html/SON-KDEP42XS1.htm

Standing well back for a slanging!!!!!!!!

Seriously. I have around £3k to splash just on the screen and would be keen to hear some good advice. :confused:

Thanks in adv.

2. SNICK

SNICK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    No brainer - panny every time :thumbsup:

3. tamthetim

tamthetim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    With that kind of money I'd be looking at the HDTV ready Pioneers :thumbsup:

Cheers, Tam

4. johnnycab

johnnycab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    AI - Pl. accept my apologies for hijacking your thread. However, I have a similar dilemma, and did not want to start another topic.

When I first started to look around for a 42" TV/Monitor with a budget of 3-4.5k, my options narrowed down to 2 manufacturers i.e. Sony & Pioneer - in that order. After a combination of visiting this site and www.plasmatvbuyingguide.com - which features mainly US models, my opinions have changed radically.

Firstly, I need a Plasma for 80% TV viewing via SD & the rest for movies and gaming. The Pioneer went straight out of the window - based on the reports for it's grainy pictures etc. for TV viewing. The Sony seems to be a clear winner in these stakes for me.

Secondly, the more I read about HDTV - the more convinced I am that, it is a definite requirement for me. However, in this case the Pioneer wins and Sony seems like a poor choice.

Thirdly, I have been out and about this weekend, and have started to look at the Panasonic, and it's picture quality - so far I am not sure, probably because of the content material that is being used on this screens for demonstration purposes. I will have start looking at it very closely, and add it to my list.

Finally, to summarise - I need to buy a screen within the next couple of weeks, with good picture quality for TV viewing, HDTV support and appropriate HDMI connections, to be able to view the rumored HDTV broadcasts by Sky, as and when they happen. I will even up my budget, if I have to, in order to get a 'futureproof' TV!

Thanks

5. phil5743

phil5743

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    I hope you put more considered thought into your purchase than that unsubstantiated piece of advice! The Sony is a superb pice of kit especially if the price is right. Sony may not be involved in as much of the manufacturing process as Panny, but surely it is the finished product that counts. If I was buying now though, I would be looking for digital connectivity as well as PQ, and in this respect it might be worth waiting a few months.

6. pauljbent

pauljbent

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My advice and I suspect most others would also say that you have to view the screen(s) you are interested in preferably side-by-side displaying the content you are most interested in, even if that means arranging viewing weeks in advance. Whatever you buy you will end up living with for quite some time.
    My money went on a Sony KDEP37, it was and is still the only plasma just running from a shops regulat digital satellite feed that looked to me like a regular CRT. I haven't seen a panny running in a shop that I was impressed with yet and that included side-by-side comparisions in John Lewis in Bristol. HD didn't bother me because I replaced my last CRT with the Sony after 5 years anyway and I figure it'll take them at least that long to sort themselves out.

There is a heavy panasonic bias on this forum, personally it wasn't my cup of tea so I bought something else, its your choice.

7. theroux

theroux

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i'm not an expert on picture quality but both look the same to me. Sony plasma tv looks brilliant and i went for the sony. Although the forum here is pro panny, a lot of problems are also regarding the panny.

8. Cliff

Cliff
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,100
    No brainer- the Sony! :laugh:

9. Ymegod

Ymegod
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    No brainer - the Sony. Unless Hornydragon is watching, in which case Panasonic. From av sales.

10. The Gooner

The Gooner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    I have just bought a paany plasma, but wouldnt say I was biased, I have had 3 JVC CRTs and one hitachi this is first panny.
    I looked at the sony 37" but decided on panny. Mainly because after seeing them side by side I couldnt see much diff in them and the panny had a good designed stand to fit everything on and was slightly cheaper.

As already stated I would try and view together, currys or comets is norm good for this as they have usually have both sets in. If you pester them enuff they will hook up DVD to watch, If they dont then they cant expect customers to part with £2000+ .
    Decide for your self which you think is better for you, I think which ever you choose Sony or pioneer then you wont be far wrong

As for HDTV, Im afraid whatever you buy might not be ready as no one seems to know what the source is going to be, my guess is Sky will release 1 chan to start with if this happens next year I would be surprised and I cant see HDTV being big till next 5 years at least.
    Personnely I didnt put HDTV into equation for my choice as I felt it is to far ahead and not really worth worrying about. Plus no doubt sky will another £200 for a new box and an extra £20 subscription for the one channel and I aint giving em anymore :offtopic: sorry

11. theroux

theroux

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have to agree that there's no point waiting for HDTV (and hence buying a plasma thats compatible) cause for one thing, you'll wait and wait and wait. And secondly, when it does comeout, there be the next new broadcast type that eveyone will be speculating about. Just go out, do some research and buy for now :thumbsup: . Unless of course you dont mind waiting months/years!.. :nono:

12. madcyril

madcyril

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    Sony over Panny for me,neither have DVI/HDMI Sony in my opinion has much better picture and looks fantastic on the wall(Panny's nice on the stand,not on wall).Plus Sony is pretty reliable,not so sure about the Panny when reading the many posts on here.

13. superpixel

superpixel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wouldn't opt for Sony over Panny just on reliability....both are probably gonna give you the best consumer experience possible....anyone off the street could tell you you can't depend on anything more than a Sony or Panasonic TV. Some things don't change even after 20 years. I think Panasonics must be by far the most popular choice on here, and that probably accounts for the apparent number of reported problems, rather than anything else.

having said that, I personally wouldn't be happy with either a Viera or 42XS1...I think they're good, but I'm not rolling in money and would feel uneasy about parting with over 2 grand for either.

I would advise a trip to Currys/Dixons and look at the Philips 42PF9946...a better picture overall than both the Sony and Panny IMHO, and at £1500 online it's not to be dismissed lightly. Its looks aren't dropdead gorgeous, but sleek and attractive nonetheless...its only drawback is lack of inputs, but nothing a high-quality SCART switcher can't sort out...

Also bear in mind - as I think someone was trying to say in a recent new thread in German...new Vieras are coming in April to the UK, my Panasonic contact reliably informed me the other day...the new 7 series panels and HDMI are promised...but hopefully a massive boost in the electronics to sort out the dull picture as well, then I may well consider a Panasonic even for myself. :)

14. Anthall

Anthall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Dull picture on the Viera. Im not even gunna think about biting
    back on that comment. :suicide:

Oh dear to late.

15. madcyril

madcyril

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    price does come into it but getting a pricematch at JL and a 5yr warranty makes a difference(£1100 at Currys makes all the difference,and after the problems I've had with Philips products(3 DVD Recorders and 2 TV's,the last one costing £1000 broken after 18months and uneconomical to repair)your welcome to them.