1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony KDEP42XS1-First impressions

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Cliff, Jan 6, 2005.

1. Cliff

Cliff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,855
    After looking at all available plasmas on the market, I decided to go for the Sony.

Now of course we all have different requirements. Mine was to buy a TV which would display a good quality widescreen picture from switch on-and should be family friendly. I did not want to be messing around with extra scart switch boxes - freeview stb etc

It is quite amazing how sharp the freeview/ cable picture is considering the basic resolution of UK TV is low

The 1024x1024 display is really detailed- by using the memory stick slot on the side still pictures show the quality of this HiRes display.

I have come to realise that having a good display is only half the problem as broadcast (digital)TV pictures, in their raw state would be pretty poor without some kind of processing This is where the Sony comes into it's own -really clever processing.
    . Of course 575p from a DVD player is fantastic by the way.

It has integrated freeview, s video, 3 scarts(2RGB) and component (prog) inputs which are just fine for the normal use.

I know this forum is very pro Panasonic, but in my opinion the resolution of a 480 display device was rather course. Yes, better blacks but in a room with normal lighting this is not really an issue.
    So a vote for Sony from my corner!

Most people who have seen it have been impressed with the picture quality by the way-

2. domtheone

domtheone
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    I've had a few looks at this (and it's smaller counterpart, the 37")

Always been impressed.

In fact i've just returned from Currys where it was playing a dvd (on a split feed with other displays) and it looked pretty damm good!

Now if only Sony's recent Plasmas had DVI/HDMI....

3. peezee

peezee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I concur. Very impressive video processing (the "WEGA" engine) and electronics from Sony applied to an ALiS glass. How they are able to get such a finely detailed picture while not exhibiting any video noise or artefacts (or very little) is quite amazing - and blacks ain't Panny or NEC blacks but still pretty good indeed.

And yeah, too bad Sony decided to totally ignore digital connectivity on all their LCD and plasma product lines sold in Europe... :suicide:

4. theroux

theroux

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey Cliff, read your post with great interest.
    Am planning on getting a Sony KDEP37XS1. For me to be able to start watching immediately, do i need to buy anything else. I've got scart leads to connect from
    1)my ntl cable box
    2)my dvd player
    questions
    A) Can i just connect it straight away.
    B) Is set up pretty straight forwards.. literally like switch on and start watching after tuning
    C) i read all about this and that setting for contrast/brightness and am a little confused. What do i need to set this on or is iot quite straight forward
    D) anything else i should know about SONY set up- hope it's easy as i'm not getting anyone to do it for me
    Hoping to actually get it on Tuesday

Thanking everyone in advance for the help

5. stu954

stu954

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The guide for the sony explains how and where each connection should be made very clearly.I had mine up and running (including getting it out of the box which is really a 2man job! ) within an hour. I found component from the dvd to the tv was better than scart but don't know if this is the case for everyone.When you first turn the set on it should run through the tuning itself and will only take a few minutes. I also found my contrast set to max , which is way too high.I've backed it off to 35 and brightness to 40.Picture can be slightly dark occasionally but once i've got a few hours viewing i'm gonna turn it up to midway. :)

6. theroux

theroux

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks stu954. Handy advice indeed. Can relax now. Will use similar settings when i get hold of mine.
    Excited :clap:

7. FEBABE

FEBABE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Contrast 60, rest on 50 and COOL setting gives excellent PQ on mine.
    I've settled on (after many combinations):
    AV1 (RGB) Sky
    AV2 (RGB out) DVD recorder then to DVD Surround System
    AV4 (component) progressive feed from DVD recorder.

F

8. Cliff

Cliff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,855
    Theroux -Setup is really very simple. There is in fact a wizard that starts on switch on which tunes all the channels -analog and digital and tells you which units to connect to which scart. There is also smart link for the recorder. You could choose to have the DVD going into the RGB scart or component sockets. Picture quality is the same unless you choose progressive- and on DVD movies you reep the benefit of 576 resolution per frame- excellent. But you will miss the convenience of the scart auto select and aspect ratio selection (we can do this manually but family members are notorious for watching stuff with the wrong aspect ratio!).

Oh yes, just back off the contrast a bit.

You won't be disappointed

9. theroux

theroux

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do most other plasma's allow auto selection then?
    And also has anyone found any problems with the Sony so far or is it all that it's been made out to be. I've yet to hear anyone who has been dissappointed! So i really hope i made the right choice despite a Panny/Hitachi/Pioneer favourites here.

Thanks

10. FEBABE

FEBABE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Sony auto selection is very good through the Scarts.

11. niceTV

niceTV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there

I am thinking of buying this TV

Please could you post some photos? Thanks!

12. phil5743

phil5743

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Heres my KDE 37 - had it for about 2 months and thoroughly delighted! By the way the radiator is not used!

Attached Files:

13. niceTV

niceTV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How much did you people may for your sony plasma? and where did you buy it from?

14. madcyril

madcyril

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    JL Glasgow pricematch Robert Whyte in Glasgow,£2699 +del at mo.

15. theroux

theroux

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thats for 42 inch i presume?
    i got a 37 for £2299 from JL cheadle.

16. stu954

stu954

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got my 37" from Empiredirect at £2400 +£55delivery.I noticed the other day that they're doing it for £2199 + add delivery!My local sony centre wants £3k + £70 set up!

17. Cliff

Cliff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,855
    I bought my 42 inch before Christmas from KJ Electronics for £2.8k this was more than other adverts but the catch was the others didn't have any in stock!!
    Sony have been caught off guard as demand was high.
    Look at BE direct / Uniservice www.be-direct.co.uk for a good offer on internet
    AVPACK48
    42 inch with free RGRGX300 is £2783.

18. phil5743

phil5743

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I have to confess we got ours from Sony Centre although the wife did negotiate £100 off.
    The main reason was they were offering 2 years interest free and we were able to have the stand and set delivered immediately and set up for us. I also wanted to have real people to deal with and most other places would only offer 1 years finance as opposed to 2. Our old set had suddenly died and it was tempting when we went in to get everything sorted there and then without delay.

19. Cliff

Cliff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,855
    At least you will get it on time and won't be told its out of stock. And you will have the back up of a store nearby. That's worth something

20. theroux

theroux

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    when i do get the Sony finally delivered, will the standard scart leads be sufficient for now. I wont need any other specific leads will i? (like component etc). ANd if scart is sufficient, which ones do you guys recommend. I just use the cheap ones at the moment but would clearly like to invest in some better ones to get the best possible picture quality from my ntl/dvd.

21. Repo

Repo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I'm one of the few ;) people here that like ALIS screens & the KDEP I saw was very nice indeed - although I went PHD7 in the end.

Reading between the lines I guess that the only component source you might have is a DVD player. If so then choose component rather than SCART but please use a quality interconnect, the picture quality difference between a bundled cable and a £40 one is staggering. I've used QED PCV1's from www.hifix.co.uk (v. fast delivery on all 3 orders I've used them for) but the Mark Grant cables are supposed to be even better.

As for SCART cables - I got a QED P2105 (£25 at hifix) which are supposed to be very good but I haven't had time to connect it up and compare yet.

22. theroux

theroux

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    [/QUOTE] Reading between the lines I guess that the only component source you might have is a DVD player. If so then choose component rather than SCART but please use a quality interconnect, the picture quality difference between a bundled cable and a £40 one is staggering. I've used QED PCV1's from www.hifix.co.uk (v. fast delivery on all 3 orders I've used them for) but the Mark Grant cables are supposed to be even better.

As for SCART cables - I got a QED P2105 (£25 at hifix) which are supposed to be very good but I haven't had time to connect it up and compare yet.[/QUOTE]

Finally got the Sony KDEP37XS1 this pm. Managed to take afternoon off work for delivery from JL. Very easy set up indeed. I have connected the NTL box to AV1 with scart. The AV2 is connected to the Arcam amp as i listen through different stereo speakers. The DVD is yet to be connected.
    My contrast and brightness is 40%, the rest is 50%.

Are all these settings right.
    Should i get a component for DVD. I guess i should invest in a good scart lead for NTL (unless i can use component?I am pretty clueless) What stand have you guys got? Did you use any of these callibration devices like DVE PAL or ISF (reading other forums is confusing but helpful!!!)
    thank you thank you thank you

and one other thing, on the SONY KDEP**XS1 advertisement, it states the following:... Is this true. I thought it wasn't
    - High Definition TV
    Be ready for the future of television. This product is HDTV compatible. Read more

23. phil5743

phil5743

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Where is the advertisment you mention? - I think Sony could be digging themselves a hole if they continue to make these claims in light of Sky's recent announcement. I'm really pleased with my KDE-37 but feel a bit mislead when I was told it was HDTV ready - in fact it was one of the reasons I bought it.

24. theroux

theroux

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    errr.... from the unbeatable.co.uk website when they advertise SONY KDEP model.
    Any takers for the other questions..go on.. you know you want to.
    I have to say the inbuilt freeview is slightly better than NTL cable

25. phil5743

phil5743

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    theroux, you must connect DVD using component (I use the QED QCV) and output PAL progressive scan if your player supports it. The PQ is on another planet to RGB scart - even my wife and kids comment on it.

26. theroux

theroux

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Without sounding too stupid..........do all DVD's have component output and if so, will it clearly state it (am not at home right now so cant check behind DVD player and see if it's written). Sorry for ignorance.
    And what table do you have. I want as small and narrow a stand as possible, preferably glass. Any recommendations. Thanks for your patience.

27. phil5743

phil5743

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Only better or more recent players will have component - you would be wasting massive PQ potential by not using component (but only with PAL progressive enabled) I just got a Sony DVD recorder and the picture is stunning. The player must have component and also support progressive scan as the benefits of component with a non-prog signal (interlaced) is not much better than scart in my opinion. My stand is made by Optimum (see my previous picture) and it was recommended by the Sony Centre http://www.optimum2000.com/menu.html

28. Ymegod

Ymegod
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Can anybody please explain to me the benefits, or otherwise, of taking the component feed thru an av receiver rather than connecting direct to the plasma.
    I believe you also have to take audio to the plasma as well. Where is this best taken from ? I have the choice of STB, DVD Recorder or receiver. As we watch most things thru Sky I assume it will be from the STB.
    Thank you in advance.

29. theroux

theroux

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    guys, i looked up scart leads QVC P2105 but it gave me 3 options

http://www.av-sales.com/html/qed_scart_interconnects.html

1) QED SQART AV21 Scart to Scart Fully Wired (47 quid - 0.5 metres)For all high quality AV interconnections requiring a fully wired SCART to SCART cable. This cable is non-directional (50 quid - 1 meter)
    2) QED SQART AV41 RGB Special Edition No audio transmission.For the very best picture quality from A/V systems using RGB video & control only.All unused connections are removed to maximise picture quality
    3) QED PERFORMANCE SQART P21 Scart to Scart Fully Wired
    All AV applications where SCART equipped components are to be connected. Offers the facility to transmit Composite, S-Video (Y/C), RGB & D2MAC video in addition to mono or stereo audio. (30 quid - 1 meter)

even tried to look up QEDP2105 on www.hifix.co.uk ( i guess thats the site)
    http://www.hifix.co.uk/sku_list.las...c4a4bac059bc55cd2d64c0e882cad8474cb320e15455c
    but all seem different

which do i need to conect from my NTL set up box to the plasma. Anyone have ntl or know which one i need. scart to scart or RGB to scart???

30. Repo

Repo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    The one I got was the .5m version of the P21 - the last two digits are the length e.g. P2105 = 0.5m, P2110 = 1.0m :)