1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony KDEP42MRX1 sony dealer good price ?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Sony_Bruce, Mar 7, 2005.

1. Sony_Bruce

Sony_Bruce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :hiya: I am new to the forum so hello to all.

I have been going round in circles trying to decide what plasma to buy and finally decided :

a) I was going to get one from a good dealer and not a box shifter.
    b) I wanted an extended warranty.
    c) I wanted a "fair" price
    d) I wanted credit terms

I have been amazed to find that the Sony shop in Leamington Spa has an offer this week on a Sony KDEP42MRX1, with an Alphason glass stand, three years on site warranty and they even included home delivery and full set-up - the price £3999 - thats £400 now and 24 payments at £150 (intrest free). I can find nothing like this deal on the WWW so have just made a purchase - please say I made the right choice ? Maybe I couldl have done better by buying bits and bobs and sorting the system out myself - but the 42MRX1 just looks fantastic and with glass stand, 3 years warranty and credit included for less than a box-shifters price for screen alone it seemed a great deal.

Regards to all and thanks to forum - i read some great advice on thsi site.

Bruce :clap:

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    £4k seems a lot for any screen at the moment, a Pio XDE with future proof HDMI is only £200 with that lot. Sonys have the odd fan here, but you can't have read very much favourable comment here about them. Could this be a Leamingto spa promoter I ask myself?

3. Sony_Bruce

Sony_Bruce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, thought you may have thought i worked in shop, but honest i dont. Its just that the screen looked great and picture quality was one of teh best i had seen. The package justhad everything i needed, sorry maybe i should not have mentioned where i bought it, would it be better if i took that bit out of post - would be quite happy to if you thought it would make opinion more balanced.

4. Ymegod

Ymegod
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Sony Bruce,
    You have committed the cardinal sin here on the Panasonic and Pioneer forum. You have dared to mention an alternative ! What`s more you have uttered the S word. I would not be at all surprised if you were hauled off by the Moderators and given a severe beating for daring to interrupt the P&P brigade.
    I can only assure you that mentioning S**y on this forum is akin to heresy. I have seen the television you have bought and I think it looks great and the picture quality is very very good but I think that should remain a secret between us.

5. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Your opinion would be more balanced by a change of user name. Sony for most of us means overpriced, more reputation than substance, no HD compatibility, not any way, and screens made from bought in technology from other manufacturers who already do it better.

6. Sony_Bruce

Sony_Bruce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh my, :(

just goes to show how new I am - i didnt know the S**Y word was not allowed and i even put S**Y in my user name :oops: - but i think i will keep it as once you have a name you should stick by it.

I am really excited about my purchase and its due to be installed in a week, so I will post my opinion once i am sitting in front of it. One reason i decided on the unit was STYLE - it just looks like a piece of art - superb. I did not want a plasma that looked like it belonged in an airport !

I am still intrested why box shifters cannot match the dealer price on this model ?

7. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Better to be notorious than unknown, mate! What you say is of course true, there are few pieces of Sony kit (there, I mentioned it once and I think I got away with it) that are lacking in style. I hope you are happy when it is turned on as well as off. I'm not a box shifter but a custom installer, I would have to go to a distributor for this product, adding a layer into the money chain. The buy in for me would mean I would make a loss on this deal, but as I still maintain I can get far better results for under £3k, just without Sony style, I'm happy to leave it there. Sony kit is not usually punted out by box shifters, so that Sony centres can maintain their margins. They have a total control over the market placement, bit like B&O. You don't see that on fleabay do you?

8. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Interested to know if you demoed any other screens or just went for the Sony straight off?

9. Sony_Bruce

Sony_Bruce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi - the problem was i just became more and more confused the more i looked into the plasma choice (even though i am an electronics enginner and can understand teh terms used), in the end it came down to i needed good service support, good warranty, a good looking screen and not much gamble with some credit terms - ok i could have got a screen maybe for 75%-80% of this cost, but it was a lot of money and i did not want to take risks.

I loved the picture quality compared with others, some were as good, but none looked better when they were switched OFF - that was the final choice - VERY LOW risk factor, superb picture and sound and an item of furniture that did not look like a display that was supposed to be hung from an exhibition stand at the NEC.

10. superpixel

superpixel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bruce, there's no doubt you got an excellent price on the Sony - if you wanted the extra warranty and stand, then that means you basically got the television for £3300ish! Like you say, the best net price I've seen is around £4500, though I've seen the 50" going for £4900. So well done! and cheers for sharing the info

As to the Sony's quality, it is dropdead gorgeous switched off, and switched on the picture is superb as well. I've spent god knows how many hours infront of the Panasonic Viera and Pioneer 434, both of which my family own - but when I saw the Sony in the shop my jaw dropped. When Freeview on the Sony rivals Pioneer's high-definition demo, you know you're onto a winner. I'd seen the older Sony models in the same exterior, and they weren't that impressive, and definitely not at the extortionate prices...but wow have they done something to those screens, or what? OK, black level and contrast aren't the best, but I would LOVE to have the Sony sitting downstairs, and for general TV viewing I would rather have nothing else.

And I'm with you - a silver rectangle shoved above a fireplace is not my idea of style.. :D

I'm jealous. Let us know what you think when you get it, please?

11. Ymegod

Ymegod
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    S**y Bruce,
    I believe congratulations are in order. You have actually managed to attract the attention of both hornydragon and the mighty MAW on a thread about SONY !!!
    I shall now have to go and lie in a darkened room for a few hours.
    Once again absolutely blinding mate ! Good luck with your purchase.

12. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    You sony boys seem a little sensitive! There's nothing WRONG with the product, don't be ashamed, I've said before, it's just a bit overpriced. I prefer them with SD sources to the much mooted XDE pioneers, but interms of VFM, not a chance. You've got to be dedicated to the Sony cause to buy one of these.

13. kourosh

kourosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +910
    hi sony bruce :hiya: i work for sony i didnt think that deal was out yet the last i heard with our buyer(this afternoon)was still being disscused :confused: nothing was finalised at the moment are selling the tv for £5k with 3 yrs warranty which is now standard on all plasma and lcd screens.As you know the new deal is the set the stand which retails at £900 and the 3 yrs for £4k although it is a nice set and i do work for sony i think you could have done alot more for your money if your not worried about being able to recieve high def with sky then its no prob i cn say 1 thing about it though its prob the best looking set on the market :thumbsup: i hope your happy with it :smashin:

14. Sony_Bruce

Sony_Bruce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am so pleased that some you more "expert" guys think it was a good deal and i have made a fair choice, its interesting that Kourosh who works for Sony says the deal is not out yet in his shop and he is still selling unit at £5000 plus a stand at £900 ? - i would have thought all dealers would have had a roll-out date for such an offer - in fact i tried Solihul branch and they had no such deal going either, maybe the Leamington Manager jumped the gun ? - but i am not complaining - just hope they dont take another £1000 off the price next week!

Anyone know how i can change the name on the thread - maybe it would be better if it had a more generic name to stimulate more interest - maybe it should be called "is S**Y the best ?"

Regards

Bruce