1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony KDEP37XS1

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by FEBABE, Oct 1, 2004.

1. FEBABE

FEBABE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Given the help this site has given me in deciding which plasma to buy I thought it only fair to post my first impressions of the Sony.

I very nearly bought Panasonic but my eyes and heart changed my mind at the last minute (and the wife in terms of 37" versus 42"!).

Although ALIS always gets a beating here I have to say the PQ is superb - better than I had imagined. The intergrated freeview is fantastic - no booster required there - and even Sky is good (that's a credit to the set). I'm still waiting for the free DVD recorder to arrive so I haven't sampled that pleasure yet but it can only be mindblowing. The integrated sound is good but needs a separate sub-woofer plugging in to fill it out. I sit 8 to 10 feet from the set and 37" seems about right, involving but not like watching a tennis match. The money I saved over 42" will buy me the sound system.

For anyone looking for a TV replacement and doesn't want Jodrell Bank in the lounge then I can recommend this set.

FEBABE

2. Tonester

Tonester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My only reservations about this set were that it had no VGA port (probably not too major I guess), but also that with the black surround and speakers it looks as big as a 42", whereas the Panasonic I think will look a bit smaller in the room.

3. FEBABE

FEBABE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Agree, VGA port not end of world but width could be - the 37" is as wide as the 42" PE30. Would have been better if they'd made the speakers detachable like the more expensive models.

FEBABE

4. bowler900

bowler900

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I totally agree, I have had the 37XS1 for around 2 months now and have been very pleased, agreed the lack of HDMI and VGA input is a loss but at least the wife likes it. The only odd thing I have found is that the device does a lot of processing and consequently if the better half has the small tv on in the kitchen the sound on the Sony appears as an echo a split second later, I can only put this down to video proccesing so they delay the sound so its in sync.

My only other moan is that you have to toggle though all 6 AV ports, if you have, this can be a pain if you have many devices connected, my old Panasonic one press of the AV botton brought up a display which you could use the coloured buttons to select AV1-4

5. Dr Downey

Dr Downey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't know about your screens, but my KE32TS2 has got RGBHV input, so you can connect VGA that way.

6. FEBABE

FEBABE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    We used to get a delay like that between our analogue TV in the lounge and the set top digibox TV in the kids room. The digital transmission seems to lag behind the analogue one.

Re flicking through AV ports; I've seen a post on here somewhere that tells you how to program the AV ports into the keypad so you can go straight to them. I need to find it because its driving me nuts already...

PS Thanks for the tip on VGA input Dr Downey, I don't need it but it's nice to know I can if ever the need arises!

7. Dr Downey

Dr Downey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got an RM-AV2500 from the States, and I can choose which AV input by pressing the number. I'll have a fish around my notes to see if I can find out how to do it again.

Cheers!

8. FEBABE

FEBABE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My nine year old has just shown me how to go straight to an AV port! Press the OK button - this brings up analogue tuner channel list - right arrow button brings up AV port list select which one and it goes straight to it.

9. Dr Downey

Dr Downey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well they do say that these things are so simple even a baby can do it!!! ;)

10. FlyingRabbit

FlyingRabbit
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Febabe:

I have the same set on order, the info re AV ports will prove very useful..Thnx.

Any more tips and hints U discover would be appreciated :lease: