Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Sony Kdep37xs1

Discussion in 'Sony TVs Forum' started by Manti, Jul 12, 2004.

1. Manti

Manti
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi all,

I'm planning to buy the new SONY KDEP37XS1 Plasma TV, but I cannot find any reviews at all about this product. :blush:

Could someone please help me with this model? :lease:

Thanks in advance,

Manti

2. PaulJR

PaulJR
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That makes 2 of us

3. PaulJR

PaulJR
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have seen one in JL in High Wycombe. Price is a fiver under £4000 but you get a 5 year warranty. Picture is, in my view excellent with a DVD source. Slightly softer on the Digital tuner but I noticed a slight bend in the top left of the picture while watching News 24 but I think this is to do with the digital tuner.

Well there is a start for you

4. reckless

reckless

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I've seen them and the picture looks pretty good to me. However, must point out in case you weren't aware that they're ALIS screens. I don't have a problem with that but I know that some do.

Just thought I'd mention it. Oh, and they look lovely.

5. Apnomis

Apnomis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25

Sorry to be really thick here, but I'm new to plasma's and was thinking about getting a second hand Sony last week (different model to you guys)

One of the warnings I got when I was asking various sources for advice was to warn me that it was an ALIS screen. I had a search on this forum for "ALIS" but could find anything specific.

So at the possibility of looking like a fool, could someone explaing what ALIS actually means? :confused:

6. TV Headache

TV Headache
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Alternate LIghting of Surfaces. And according to Hitachi: "Conventional plasma displays are comprised of enclosed-pixel cells, and are designed specifically for the display of graphics and computer imagery. When used to display video, conventional designs reduce overall brightness and create a visible grid pattern across the picture. ALiS plasma technology incorporates smooth, continuous channels of phosphor material that eliminate the grid pattern, and deliver a bright, sharp, smooth, film-like picture, ideally suited for video and movies."

7. Manti

Manti
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi guys,

thank U all for your tips so far.

I'm pretty rookie as far as PLASMA TV's is concerned, so I must admit that the ALIS screen issue is quite scary for me. ( I read the technical explanation, but - I confess, I didn't understood zip :blush:
    But if I got it correctly, some people tend to find ALIS screens...jerky??? :eek: Is that so? Or I misunderstood?

Thank U all again,

cheers

Manti

8. bowler900

bowler900

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Bought one of these about a month ago, so far very pleased with it. It does not have VGA input which is a shame but 3 x Scart + compnent & svhs