1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony KDEP37XS1 or Panny pe30

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by highlander_777, Aug 13, 2004.

1. highlander_777

highlander_777
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Which do think is the best?. Not concerned about price, more intereseted in the pic quality

2. Steve_P

Steve_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    The only real way for _you_ to decide is to view both screens for yourself and see which you prefer. I'm pretty sure the Sony has ALiS glass and the PE30's are only SD screens 852x480. There are many here that cannot live with pictures that the ALiS produces, or at least they seem more vocal than the members who are happy with their ALiS plasmas. The Sony plasmas that I have seen actually looked pretty good to me in terms of PQ but they seem comparitively expensive when pitched against the competition. I personally love the pictures that the PE30 produces and I am very happy with my purchase but I did view lots of different plasma screens before making my decision. At the end of the day all the guru's here can argue the merits/failings of the different screens out there but only your eyes can tell you what's "crap" from what's not.

In summary: Get the PE30 :p :devil: :D

S.

3. highlander_777

highlander_777
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    When I had the pe30, the pic used to jump around a bit with SKY. When the repair boys bought it back the did a software upgrade with their laptops....kinda ****** me off as well

4. Orlando

Orlando

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I have had my eye on the Sony screen aswell. In the stores I have seen it in next to the Pannys, there is no doubt the Sony has a sharper image, no flicker and very good colours. The problem is you're not going to know how it produces blacks untill you get it in a dark room. It does brighter whites than the panny also and dosn't appear to suffer noise.
    I have tried to listen for fan noise or buzzing but in a noisey shop it's difficult. Does this model have a fan??
    The main down side of this panel is expense and the fact it is relatively new out so not many reviews at the moment.

5. highlander_777

highlander_777
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Not sure about the fan. but I was in JL in Watford and they had the Sony on the top shelve and the Panny below. The signal was split over 4 screens goint through a cheap dvd player.. The sony had a better pic + the beat JL down to 2.7k. Now I paid 2.5k + £140 for the stand. so they pretty much costs the same and I get 5yrs warranty off JL

6. bowler900

bowler900

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    There is certainly no noise from the Sony, had one about 2 months now and am very happy with it, I dont find the problems with ALIS that others seem to complain about, the Sony was certainly better than the Panny equivalent when compared side by side, but it is more expensive.

The worst element of the Sony is that there is no VGA input and that you have to cycle through the AV inputs where as the Panny you can select which one you want far easier.

7. rooney

rooney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    one of my mates bought the Sony KDEP37XS1 he has had nothing but probs with it picture being distorted solarisation skin tones looking naff its now been sent back and its replacment a panny pe30

8. Koing

Koing
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The KDEP42XS1 looks good to me. I'll have to see it in greater detail before buying one.

If only Sony had a HD (1024x768) 42" for just a bit less then £3k that would be GOLDEN imo.

Koing