1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SONY KDEP37XS1 or PANASONIC VIERA TH37PE30

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by theroux, Dec 29, 2004.

1. theroux

theroux

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can someone help me decide between these 2 please! Both at John Lewis.
    Sony is £2299
    Panny s £2000
    Is the Panny much better. The reviews state the Sony is great but main downfall was the price but now at JL, they are about the same and i'm desperate to get one soon.
    I have ntl and a dvd player. No sky/x-box/playstation etc. Do i need any other connections or boxes etc?

Any help or input will be deeply appreciated. Hoping to purchase in next few days.. well by Friday in fact. Have read the pros and cons for both but wondering if anyone can shed more light as to what they would do??!!! :lease: :lease:

And happy new year and hope you all had a good Xmas :clap:

2. adrianl

adrianl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm a very satisfied Viera (42") owner. Compared the Sony and Viera before buying. The Sony was smoother with on-screen text (eg music channels) so I assume it has better 'anti-aliasing' for sharp edges.

I did notice frequent solarisation of skin tones on peoples faces as they moved on the Sony. Apart from this the picture was fantastic and I think the Sony styling is more elegant than Viera. Not unimportant since part of reason for buying plasma was I think they look so much better than CRT when switched off!

Decided that I wanted TV to watch more than to read, so I chose the Viera. I didn't want to lose quality compared with CRT and the solarisation issue was too big to ignore.

However your own preference for picture may be different. The Sony picture is probably a bit brighter than Panasonic, whiche tends to a 'moody' look. I have to watch in cinema mode to get decent shadow detail, otherwise blacks are 'crushed'. To be honest I didn't compare this (and it's hard/impossible in shop when sources are usually poor)but I have a feeling the Sony would be better at shadow detail overall but others may have hard and fast findings on this.

Bet you'd be delighted with either in the end. Both excellent plasmas.

Adrian

3. theroux

theroux

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Adrian. I am swayed by th eway of the Sony as it looks pretty good on the exterior as well as the picture quality. It says that the Sony is also HDTV compatible. DOes anyone know if i can get picture in picture in the Sony. But one things about the Sony is that many say the menu is difficult to work.. something bout the AV channels/source.. is this a big problem.

4. Rob Sheep

Rob Sheep
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been looking at both, I've also been looking at LCD at the moment Plasma is ahead of the pack. I like the Viera, however it isn't HD compat, and neither is the Sony, if you intend to go HD when Sky starts broadcasting neither will be much use (Sky's out put out of their boxes will be via HDMI - or so I'm told, is there any one out there who has also hear this?), as neither has that connection. However, the Viera is closer to DVD's true resolution, so you can expect less messing about with the picture to take place.

I'm still in two minds having seen both and may wait six months to see what connections the new Pana range has. One thing that you should know the Viera works great via Rotel 1060 DVD player, I have not seen a better picture, don't skimp on the player. :lesson:

5. theroux

theroux

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Rob for your input. For me waiting is not an option cause i've been doing so for the past 1 year but now am desperate to own one for myself. I really like the Sony but i know the forum here generally likes Panny. I think the main thing i wanna know is if there is any particular reason why i shouldn't get the Sony and if the picture quality of the Panasonic is much better. I maily use it for TV and occasional DVD. Sky i guess is not very likely for me. Time ticking and i have to order soon as my fingers are twitching... so come on guys, speak your mind. PLEASE. IS there anyone who had a SOny that didn't like it?

6. Tesla

Tesla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Personally I would go for the Panasonic. I think the picture quality is ace, the styling is ace and the stand is very practical and well-designed to hide all the unsightly cabling.

What DVD player do you currently have?

If you go into JL for a demo take one of your own DVD that you have watched several times on your current TV as then you have a good solid base to compare.

7. phil5743

phil5743

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I've had the Sony for 5 weeks now and whole family is delighted. It looks absolutely stunning in our living-room (my wife thought the Viera looked "cheap" on its integrated stand) and the picture (especially via component) is superb.

8. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +990
    I've had the 37" Viera now for 2 months and am very happy with it.

Just to let you know that the Sony is an ALIS screen, which may or may not be an issue for you.

9. Rob Sheep

Rob Sheep
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you're going to push...I'd go for the Panny and connect it with a good quality component cable like 'van den Hul - Compoline', and something to clean the mains that plugs into the wall, or (if you can) replace the mains lead with a good quality one, it makes a big difference. Sorry I can't go on about the Sony but I don't think that Sony is all that it's cracked up to be.

I don't want to highjack this thread but can any one who has a Panny tell me if there is a setting to watch 4:3 pictures without stretching the picture, i.e. a setting which just crops the top and bottom of the picture? :confused:

10. theroux

theroux

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks everyone. So far the opinion is mixed. Both seem equally good. I like the styling of the SONY but i seem to think the picture on the PANNY is a little better. The ALiS screen on the Sony doesn't really bother me much. SHould it? I should still be able to watch NTL and DVD's? And i wont need to get any additional leads/boxes etc will i to connect either screen to the NTL/DVD?
    THe Viera does sound pretty good (£2000 with stand and some DVD player) but i think the stands pretty chunky.
    Decisions, decisions decisions........
    And does anyone know if the John Lewis warranty covers pixel/screen problems?
    thanks.....
    HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!

11. richiecas

richiecas
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Can somone explain exactly what an Alis screen is and why or what problems it can cause?

12. theroux

theroux

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have the same question. Are there any specific problems with ALiS screen.

13. theroux

theroux

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    so reading through the forums, the Sony is not future proof, lacks digital connections and is pricey. The best plasma for future proofing sounds like the pioneeer or hitachi 5300. IS that right. Even the panny/vierra series aren't future proof?
    I could wait and see but when one question gets answered, another problem arises?? DO i bite the bullet and buy the sony or wait and see. Then again, there's another thread about the Sony possibly pulling out of plasma's all together!!!

Arrrrgggggg... if only there was only one plasma and i didn't have to choose!! Sigh. I'll sleep over it. And maybe hang on to my CRT.