1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony KDEP37XS1 - is it HD ready?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Majid Khan, Jul 12, 2005.

1. Majid Khan

Majid Khan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi folks, can someone confirm to me that the Sony 37" plasma currently out is "HD-Ready"? I've been down to my local Sony centre and been really impressed with the picture quality. I've been told by the bloke that it is HD-compatible, even though it doesn't have the HDMI connections, because apparently Sky's HD service will be accessible via component video. I've also noticed that Sony's website also states that this plasma is compatible with HD.. with its resolution of 1024x1024.

I was initially thinking of getting a 37" Panasonic Viera PV500 - but I've been reading on this forum about the various problems with the PVs..

I would appreciate if anyone who owns this Sony plasma, kindly tell me what the picture quality is generally like on DVD , Sky Digital and whether it's HD picture quality would be comparable to that of the PV500?

Thanks in advance.

2. Majid Khan

Majid Khan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Also, would anyone recommend any alternative 37" plasmas , other than the Sony and Pannasonic?

I would preferably like it to be HD compatible, but my main priority is to get a plasma which gives brilliant pic quality with Sky/Freeview. That's where the Sony 37" really impressed me.

3. Majid Khan

Majid Khan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Come on guys, surely someone on here must own seen this Sony 37" beauty! anyone know what the HD pic quality is like with these 1024x1024 panels?

I've been told by the bloke at Sony Centre, that the pic quality in HD on these plasmas are far superior to conventional plasmas, because they use state of the art, advanced picture processing technology called ALICE. Sony's own WEGA engine combined with ALICE is supposed to give unmatched HD pic quality or so I've been told - is that right ?

4. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Sony told you that I expect. No, it's not HD ready, no digital input, and if it's like the rest of the ALIS pack until very recently, it won't accept even analogue 720@50Hz, so no skyHD, not even the 1st gen boxes. The actual res of this is 852/1024 I believe. I'd suggest either a rwal Hitachi, not a Sony rebadge for extra money, or the Panasonic 37 if you want HD ready.

5. Zebraman

Zebraman
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ALICE screens are the best aren't they?

6. ikon66

ikon66

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    depends if you are living next door to them

7. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    ALIS has it's following, try a search for Hitachi for details. Sony obviously would like you to believe this, but who's word do you believe? They do have a vested interest. Here we generally believe a progressive hi rs panel to be superior, alis is cheaper.

8. Steve_P

Steve_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    As MAW has stated for a TV to wear the HD ready badge it needs to conform to a few basic rules:

- Minimum vertical resolution of 720 lines/pixels.
    - Accept HD signals (1080i or 720p) at 50Hz.
    - Include either HDMI or DVI input that is HDCP compliant.

Based on those criteria I would say that the Sony is NOT HD-Ready, I believe Sky have stated that some HD content maybe available via analogue component but I would not expect it to be the majority of the HD output and what little there is will probably be scaled back as HDCP becomes the norm.

*EDIT* I see that Sky have confirmed that all their HD content will be available on analogue component. http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/article/ds21697.html However, if MAW is correct (and he usually is :D ) and the Sony can't accept 720p@50Hz then there will still be a problem.

S.

9. Majid Khan

Majid Khan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmm , this is getting confusing.

The guy at Sony Centre did assure me that the 37XS1 was fully compatible with both High definition formats, 720 and 1080 - although he said that because the plasma has a 1024x1024 resolution, what it tends to do with 1080 is to chop off some from the top and some from the bottom (1080-1024) to give you HD output.

I'm also surprised there hasn't been any positive comments about the ALICE techonology, I found the pic quality to be impressive that I must say, and far superior (by quite a distance) to the pic quality i've seen from other plasmas showing Freeview.

I did enquire about the exceptional pic quality, to which I was told that this was because Sony used state of the art ALICE plasma technology, in their plasma panels, which to quote the guy's very words "ALICE panels are superior to the panels used in conventional plasma tvs"., so is this not true ?

I would appreciate if someone can confirm to me exactly which resolutions this Plasma is capable of ?

I understand that there is no HDMI , but since Sky have announced that they will output Hd via component, I think that should do just fine for me...

10. Majid Khan

Majid Khan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any other 37" plasmas on the market?

I liked the PV500 but i dont think i'm willing to take a risk with it, after reading the various problems others have had with it... .

11. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    WELL the people at SONY centres know less than my gran about what is what (99.9999% of the time) , it is not Hi Def never will be and ALIS has some serious issues a 37" Hitachi 7200 or a panny are your only choices at 37" and the panny is a better HC panel in my opinion, )have you seen this contrast changing "issue" i havent) How a bout a nice 37" LCD??? Black level is about as good as the ALIS glass and you get a samsung with a nice SONY badge on it
    but it is 1024x512x2 MAW (sorry i have double checked)

there is a samsung 37" but thats a Hitachi tooo

Try a search for ALIS on this forum to find out why a system designed for digital signage is not ideal for a HC display....................great for airport arrivals boards not so hot for TV's................Sony dont quote accepted signals on their website they may in the manual but without a HDCP capable input IT IS NOT HD ready...........

Anyone spot the mistake in the specs of athe 37" Samsung here????: http://www.samsung.co.uk/cgi-bin/ec...S37S4A/XEU&detailTab=Specifications#detailTab

12. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    ALIS is an alternative technology, more cost effective, and allows a high(er) resolution (perhaps debatedly or however you spell the blasted word) panel. However in a pure technical sense, its almost one step forward/one step back (i.e. going high res. but staying "interlaced"). However, as with all technologies it advances, and with video, you may not be able to tell the difference/may even prefer it to a traditional, less cost effective progressive panel. Basically there's no "better", as each has pros and cons taking cost into the account. If you really want to compare technoloies, compare a Hitachi PD7200 and a Panasonic PV500 or Pioneer 435XDE (correct me if thats the wrong one - I'm still learning about Pio's). These are considered the best of each crop, generally speaking.

edit: Got into this, went to have dinner and finished it off, use my post as something on the side from Horny's.

13. Majid Khan

Majid Khan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There seem to be a lot of positive coments on this board about he Hitachi PD 7200 - if i'm not mistaken, does that not also have a 1024x1024 ALIS panel?

So how come that's capable of displaying HD and the sony one isnt..

I guess what I really wanted to know is if the sony is capable of displaying HD video -- i realise that you cant be classified as "HD READY" without the HDMIC, but i'm assuming you could get some kind of HD with component video - even if it's not quite as spectacular as the HD on PV500..

14. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Well its mostly down to the electronics and partly the generation of ALIS like all technologies it develops.

You seem to really want to justify buying this so either go buy it or dont but dont pretend its something it isnt!

15. av2diefor

av2diefor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Alis alis,who the * is Alis.

16. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Everyone seems to think Sony are the best. One of my mates lives 2 minutes away, I go round most days (he has a trampoline!), and every week a new Sony piece of equipment appears (or is replaced! :D ). The fact is they're pretty shoddy. His TV is supposedly top of the range CRT 32". 100hz. No component, no active/natural 100hz scan to recduce that awful 100hz flicker like my Tosh. No Progressive. BUT it has Sony on the front, so everyone else thinks its the best as well!

17. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Ched you should really Educate them in the way of QUALITY

18. Majid Khan

Majid Khan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All I want is a good 37" Plasma which gives me exceptionally good pic quality on Freeview/Sky digital and preferably is future proof, at the very least capable of displaying Sky's HD video through analogue component.

Having looked around I have only two solutions - either get the 37PV500, which i quite like to be honest, but having read the views on this forum - I realise that buying a PV500 is quite risky, with so many users on here reporting the same issues/flaws.

My only alternative is the Sony, which for its SD pic quality , in my view is second to none , easily the best Plasma i've seen, so it meets my first requirement -- but what I am unsure about is whether it meets the second requirement that I have.

So far I know that it does not have HDMI so it is limited and not quite "HD Ready" in that respect, but having been assured by the guy at Sony Centre that it is definitely capable of displaying high resolution HD video, coming through components - I am curious if this is the case (obviously I am hoping it is) but I would just appreciate if someone can confirm to me whether it is possible to get HD in 720 or 1080 to display - even if its only marginally superior to the SD pic quality on that panel..

I'm no AV purist, I just want a nice telly that does what it says on the tin. :)

19. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    the PWD7 is as HD ready as the Sony..................... and if you listen to what sony centre staff tell you you will start wearing burberry and half price jewelllery shop jewellery

If you think it looks good buy it the sue the Sony centre when it doesnt work with HD

20. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Thing is, Sky's HD will only be through component for a while. And as previously said it may not even accept 50hz (what sky hd will use) hi def through component.

There is NO point buying a HD tv unless it has HDCP digital input. Full stop. Sky Sports HD etc may be through component for a week or so, but all third party channels I'm sure will demand HDCP.

Out of interest what other plasmas have you seen?

I wouldn't let those people put you off the PV500. They are being very picky, from what I can tell you want a good PQ telly. Thats what the PV500 is, and its futureproof (well as future proof as it can be). If you get a "buzzer" swap it for another. You won't notice this horizontal line, and may occasionally notice this contrast change, but not much on Sky/Freeview.

HD i told him to look around see whats best for him, but you don't see many other brands in THE SONY CENTER!!! This is where his dad shops for electricals. 'nuff said.

21. Majid Khan

Majid Khan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Maybe i should take the gamble with the PV500, is there anyone on here who owns the 37" PV500 and can confirm that their viewing pleasure has not been affected by these problems, especially that contrast changing thing,?

22. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
  23. Majid Khan

Majid Khan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    BTW I was previously thinking about getting a 36" Toshiba CRT tele , but I must confess that I'm not a fan of these 100hz tvs, the only one that I've had experience with in the past was a 32" Goodmans from Asda (cheap, I know) and i couldn't stand the blurring sort of effect when watching football -- it was just unwatchable!! so much so that it made my eyes ache.. and in the end I couldn't continue with it, so I returned it - and went down to my local Sony Centre and bought a nice 32" CRT tele, normal 50hz, which i'll have to say has been a good buy for me, overall...

But i'm now thinking of a larger screen, a 36" or 37" one and initially I thought abt getting a good 36" CRT with Toshiba being one of my choices, but my only concern was the 100hz ... if watching football on it is even remotely like what I experienced on that goodmans, than I dont think i'll be able to stand it.

So when you say "active/natural 100hz scan", does this mean the Toshiba's 100hz is more smoother and natural , ie suitable for watching football ? if it is, than i might well think abt getting a 36" CRT for the moment and then getting a HD Plasma next year or so..

24. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Yes Toshiba CRT's are TOP. I have an old(ish) one and it has standard 100hz, with the effect you mentioned, PROGRESSIVE, which de-interlaces everything and displays it progressively JUST like a (non alis :laugh: ) plasma. Or there is natural/active which both make 100hz look very acceptable, but once you have used progressive mode you won't go back! :D

25. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    If you only shop at shop@panasonic and Sony centres, and maybe the department stores, you are missing out on a whole new experience. Go and see someone who knows what they are talking about with plasma. It'll be an education at least.

26. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    try cobham, surrey! :laugh:

27. pauljbent

pauljbent

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok having seen various people bad-mouth the Sony maybe I'll inject a little sanity from an actual owner.
    Yes it is more expensive than the panny/pio/hitachi etc.
    Does it do 720p - Yes I ran that from my Tosh DVD player via component for a while, I switched back to non-progressive and couldn't tell the difference so I haven't bothered to switch back.
    Personally running Sky Digital I preferred the picture from the Sony to the Panny 37 and so did my wife. In fact she pushed the purchase through.

Admittedly HD did not factor in my decision as I reckon I'll probably end up replacing it within the next 5 years anyway (I did with the previous CRT) so it's not really an issue. For me where HD might become relevant is with DVD not broadcast.

It's a telly, you can take it out of the (enormous) box, plug it in and watch moving pictures. Its got it's own speakers and digital decoder, comes out of the box already mounted on a stand. No messing with scalers and thingummys to convert from 1 resoloution to another.

Ultimately go compare the ones your interested in, preferably side-by-side from the same outputs. Buy the one you prefer, it may be the Sony it may not, though don't forget the value of a John Lewis warranty.

28. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    the pv500 is a telly as well. hd dvd/blu ray will demand hdcp as well, and in europe may be 50hz, may be 60hz.

29. superpixel

superpixel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    majid,

whatever you do, don't gamble on the PV500 without seeing it first. I can tell you now that its Freeview picture looks nothing like the Sony, it's not even close.

don't get carried away by reputation/reviews/brand-bashing - just use your own eyes

if you up the size to 42/43" then I'd say there a lot more viable alternatives to the Sony - Hitachi 42PD7200 for one, and the forthcoming Pioneer 436 may well be another...

30. stu954

stu954

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had the sony for over 8mths now and everyone who's seen it running has been impressed especially the picture from freeview.it doesn't bother me about Hd just now and when it does eventually take off maybe i'll change a few years down the line but for now i'm well happy with the screen. :thumbsup: