1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony KDE-P42XS1 and 14bit colour?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by ColRuby, Nov 18, 2004.

1. ColRuby

ColRuby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    talked with someone at Sony and they told med that the KDE-P42XS1 has 14bit colour processing. This gives the KDE-P42XS1 a lot more than 10000 grayscale differences, while the Panasonic have 2048 and most others only 1024. Also it gives the KDE-P42XS1 much more than 1 billion colours. Can this really be true?

I'm considering buying a KDE-P42XS1, at least the plasma needs to have 1024x1024 or 1024x768 resolution. Anyone that would recommend me another one or someone that have it that is extreamly happy with it?

Also... anyone that know if KDE-P42XS1 have HDMI input?

2. FEBABE

FEBABE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That can't really be true - one of the experts on here will tell you the truth.

I have the 37" and am very happy with it. At 42" strongly consider the high def panasonic panel and the Pioneer.

No HDMI input, component is as good as it gets. Its very much a consumer product.

3. Leerca

Leerca
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am very happy with my KE-P42XS1, same screen but without digital freeview tuner. I think it has far better picture than Pio, Panasonic or Hitachi and I saw all those and few others and they were set up similary. Only plasma that I liked as much was NEC xm2 but then overall looks (picture&exterior) favoured Sony. :smashin:

4. ColRuby

ColRuby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have now spoken directly with both Sony and Pioneer (Norway). Both tells me that "PC/Display"-plasmas does not have the same picture processing as "TV"-plasmas. If this is equal to other brands I don't know, but buying a Sony or Pioneer "PC/Display" insted of "TV" mainly using it for DVD/TV is not very smart at all... just forget it everyone else who might wonder about this...

I'm going for a Pioneer PDP-435HDE! As far as I can see it is by far the best one (allthough a bit expensive). It also looks like to me that almost as importent as the plasma-tv is the DVD-player. I'm going here for a DV-868AVi (see that Arcam DV-79 also is very good).

What kind of cable brand/type (HDMI of course) is also something to look closer on... I have always thought that digital is digital (if it works it works kind of thing...). However, I've seen a lot of people here (and elsewhere) that have tested it to not be like that (if someone disagree I would very much like to hear the reason why), so I think I have to believe them... don't I?

5. blexxun

blexxun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you read Sony's press releases carefully you'll see that they are speaking of an "equivalent of 14-bit greyscale". Fact is, they are using a 14-bit panel driver. The video processing, however, is done at a lower resolution. The output of the vidoprocessor is just mapped to the higher resolution.
    Sony's Wega engine is quite nice, indeed. But if you want to have a perfect videoprocessing in a consumer Plasma/LCD-TV just go for a Philips.