Sony KD65XF9005 gone...what to go for?

hkrdan

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi folks...as the title suggests, I’ve been looking at getting the Sony kd65XF9005 which, until recently you could pick up for under a grand. However it now seems they’ve finally all gone.

Going on Dodgexander’s expert advice, this set was by far and away the best bang for buck sub-£1000 65 inch for HDR. My question is, is there currently anything out there close in quality for that money or less?

Currently not really. Hisense have the U8Q which in many ways is the better TV, but its a new 2020 model and like all 2020 models right now, prices are on the high side.

To get a similar kind of deal to the Sony XF9005 you'd need to be looking at waiting at very least until Black Friday, but possibly even spring 2021, as its then when TVs enter clearance from the year before and the best deals are to be had.

I can't see in there shelf life comparable TVs to the Hisense besting the Hisense price. Hisense basically sell there TVs at cost (low profit margins from Chinese companies) so equivalent models from Samsung/Sony will cost a lot more, even at the best time to buy.

Thanks, appreciate the reply. It’s not that I’m after a deal specifically, more a sub-£1000 set that compares to the Sony (which seemed particularly good for the money). How do you think the U8Q compares - generally and with HDR?

The U8Q will be a more striking TV with HDR as it can get 50% brighter than the XF9005. It also has faster smart TV and 4x HDMI v2 ports compared to the Sony's 2x v2 2x v1.4 config.

Where it will be compare worse against the Sony though is with refinement. The Sony will have less distracting local dimming, better motion and picture processing. Overall the U8Q compares more to the higher tier Sony XG9505(2019) or XH9505 (2020) which is crazy considering the price.

Thanks again. And baring in mind you can pick up the U8Q for around a grand now, you still think this is probably the best bet for hdr at this price point and there’s nothing cheaper available with comparable hdr?

Too good to be true then 🤔.
There's a 65XG8505 for £699 on the Sony centre refurb page .

I'd have a good read of the forum Hisense review and the owners thread before committing.

Agree with this. Sorry to say I wont be buying another Hisense. Although the aftersales support was very swift, just the build quality and interface that lets them down. Give them a few more years though and I think they might be serious contenders.

Thanks again. And baring in mind you can pick up the U8Q for around a grand now, you still think this is probably the best bet for hdr at this price point and there’s nothing cheaper available with comparable hdr?
Yes, and it was recently reviewed and recommended:

But its a 2020 model, so has room left to drop in price. Bad idea really to consider buying a 2020 model right now.

Yes, and it was recently reviewed and recommended:

But its a 2020 model, so has room left to drop in price. Bad idea really to consider buying a 2020 model right now.

Am I right in reading that U7QFT is better than U8FQT?

Am I right in reading that U7QFT is better than U8FQT?
No, the U7Q is a cut down model, about half as bright without a 120hz panel. The U8Q is the higher end model.

No, the U7Q is a cut down model, about half as bright without a 120hz panel. The U8Q is the higher end model.

Thanks, it's just that U7Q got a better review score on here. I appreciate it may be because of the time of review and maybe budget(?) but the U7Q review talks how good the local dimming and HDR is 2)whereas this was a weak point for U8Q?

Thanks, it's just that U7Q got a better review score on here. I appreciate it may be because of the time of review and maybe budget(?) but the U7Q review talks how good the local dimming and HDR is 2)whereas this was a weak point for U8Q?
The review scores are dependant on the price and the specs of the TV. The U7Q competes in price to budget end models that don't even have local dimming or more than around 300-350 nits peak brightness, so is much more favorable compared to them.

The U8Q on the other hand has specs that compare to higher end models. 1500 nits peak brightness is something only TVs like the Sony XH9505 and Samsung Q90T reach, and those TVs cost a bit more, 120hz panels are only found on higher end TVs too.

So the total review score doesn't mean a lower end TV with a better review is better than a higher end one with a worse review...and besides, a review score of 8/10 vs 7/10 is very close, and both TVs are recommended.

Part of the reason local dimming is scored down on the U8Q will be because it has a lot more brightness to hold in than the lower end U7Q, but its kind of a faux argument because the 700 nits of the U7Q doesn't cut it where HDR is concerned, so only the U8Q should be considered if someone wishes to use HDR on the TV.

As time goes on, other models from Samsung and Sony will come down a little in price and may become attractive propositions compared to the Hisense U8Q. At the moment though nothing comes close. But that is the market at this time of year, and why its a bad time to buy a TV at the moment. The price difference is representative of how much Japanese/Korean manufacturers hike there release pricing compared to Chinese ones.

as
The review scores are dependant on the price and the specs of the TV. The U7Q competes in price to budget end models that don't even have local dimming or more than around 300-350 nits peak brightness, so is much more favorable compared to them.

The U8Q on the other hand has specs that compare to higher end models. 1500 nits peak brightness is something only TVs like the Sony XH9505 and Samsung Q90T reach, and those TVs cost a bit more, 120hz panels are only found on higher end TVs too.

So the total review score doesn't mean a lower end TV with a better review is better than a higher end one with a worse review...and besides, a review score of 8/10 vs 7/10 is very close, and both TVs are recommended.

Part of the reason local dimming is scored down on the U8Q will be because it has a lot more brightness to hold in than the lower end U7Q, but its kind of a faux argument because the 700 nits of the U7Q doesn't cut it where HDR is concerned, so only the U8Q should be considered if someone wishes to use HDR on the TV.

As time goes on, other models from Samsung and Sony will come down a little in price and may become attractive propositions compared to the Hisense U8Q. At the moment though nothing comes close. But that is the market at this time of year, and why its a bad time to buy a TV at the moment. The price difference is representative of how much Japanese/Korean manufacturers hike there release pricing compared to Chinese ones.

as always, thanks! eagerly waiting for your blackfriday guide! :)

if you are very quick you can pick up a refurb XF9005 from amazon for £549

There was 2 i got one and someone mustve snagged the other (both from Richersounds)

I did also see the

Samsung QE55Q60T

in their online clearance for £750 but dunno if thats a good price for refurbished for that tv.
(it is a bit of a risk buying refurbished but all the projectors ive bought from RS have been refurbs and have been fine luckily)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom