Question Sony KD65XE9305 or LG OLED65B7V?

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by Amar, Feb 2, 2018.

1. Amar

Amar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    I was all set to buy a 55 B/C7 when they were hitting below the £1,500 mark but it wasn’t enough of a size upgrade since I already have a 50” plasma. I decided I need to go 65” but £2,500 was over my budget and now with the price increase, my level of thought is that if I’m spending that kind of money, I might as well get a faux 4K projector, such as the Epson TW9300. ALL of my film (and major TV series) watching is done via the projector. Don’t really watch much sport and stopped gaming some time ago.

I now see the Sony 65” is £1,695 at Richer Sounds. Over a thousand pounds cheaper than the 65” OLED’s and around the same price as the 55” OLED’s. That seems a bargain to me.

Every time I view the Sony, I think it’s fantastic but in the back of my mind keep thinking “but it’s not OLED”.

Has anyone else gone out to buy an OLED but come home with the Sony? Or perhaps gone out to get the Sony but ended up paying the extra and going OLED?

I remember when the Sony prices were higher, it seemed like a no brainer to spend a little extra for the OLED but now the Sony’s are heavily discounted, it seems to be better value. Both have their pro's and con's but price is always a major factor.

2. abs

abs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +242
    I'd go with a projector.. I've got the ls10000 laser projector running on an 11ft wide 2:35 screen. No TV will beat it for the sheer movie experience. I'm in the same [emoji569] as you. I'm after a new 65 inch TV and whilst oleds and the like are tempting I'm not gonna spend a small fortune if my main movie viewing will be on the pj. I'm looking at spending up to 1200 max for a TV which will be mainly terrestrial, BBC iPlayer and some gaming, and Netflix.

3. Amar

Amar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    Yes it's the same reason that stops me from buying a new TV each time.

4. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,477
    I'd go for an XE93 over an OLED personally, even if they were the same price. If you're talking about plasma and projectors I'm guessing your viewing conditions would be more suited to an OLED though.

5. Amar

Amar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    What would make you choose an XE93 over an OLED?

6. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,037
    Be patient and keep an eye on the pricing of the 65" LG OLEDs. Last year they we're reduced not long from now to £2300 from £2700 or so so I don't think it would be unreasonable this year to expect them closer to £2100.

7. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,037
  8. Amar

Amar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    Yeah I'm not in any hurry. I keep thinking that if I get the Sony, I'll always keep wishing I had just got an oled. I don't change my TV often, had this plasma for 9 years now, so I want to buy right.

9. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,477
    Because few of the OLED's advantages are useful to me. The non-emissive black pixels aren't of much use to me because I don't watch in the dark. The better viewing angles wouldn't benefit me, and having spent some time with a B7 I haven't found it's motion handling to be particularly good - it's certainly worse than a good LCD.

About the only plus point would be the lower reflectivity. Maybe the per-pixel control of brightness for HDR, although I suspect the dimmer output would be more noticeable.

I haven't actually spent time with the XE93, I was just using it as an example of a good LCD. The even better ZD9 is much closer in price to a B7 at 65"

10. Norman

Norman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +592
    When I first started looking for a new TV last October I was 100% certain it was going to be an LG OLED, but on my first visit to John Lewis the XE caught my eye, and several visits later, I ended up buying the 65XE9305, not because it was cheaper, but because I genuinely think for me, it is the better overall TV.
    No one was more surprised I ended up with another LED TV than me, but after nearly three months of ownership I don’t regret my decision one bit.