Question Sony KD65XE9005 or KD65XE9305?

Eddfsf

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Currently looking to upgrade my trusty old Sony 40 inch for gaming and 4k playback (I might end up with an Xbox one X!) but for the time being I'd love to see what the one s can really do. Want to go for a 65 if I can for under 2k, and I've been reading a lot that the Sony KD65XE9005 or KD65XE9305 might be dropping in price over the next 6 months.

I've seen the 9005 up close (no Sony centre nearby so can only see what Curry's have on show) and the demos were pretty impressive. Is the 9305 worth the extra does anyone know?

Naturally any suggestions are always welcome for competitors, have always been a Sony guy but do not have to stay with the brand if there is something better that would suit my needs.

Appreciate any help offered! Thanks in advance

The XE93 is revolutionary really, it shows where edge lit TVs have come.

The XE90 is actually technically a better TV, its direct lit, reaches admirable (just short of 1000 nits peak brightness) and has dim-able zones.

By comparison the XE93 is an edge lit model, but it gets a lot brighter and generally is the better HDR TV.

So despite it being an edge lit model it does outperform the XE90 with HDR, but only really because it gets brighter. Other aspects are more or less the same as the XE90 apart from dolby vision support.

Its a shame really because there use to be a better TV for the money in the Panasonic DX902 (or even Samsung KS9500) but they are mostly sold out in places now. Those are direct lit FALD models and meet UHD premium specs. They will perform on par with the XE93 for a lot less if you can still find them.

Its a shame really because there use to be a better TV for the money in the Panasonic DX902 (or even Samsung KS9500) but they are mostly sold out in places now. Those are direct lit FALD models and meet UHD premium specs. They will perform on par with the XE93 for a lot less if you can still find them.

Thbaks Dodgexander, maybe I should have a trawl through second hand forums then if they're that good? Appreciate the advice bud!

Not long ago they could still be found, you may still find the odd ex-display or refurb. Couple of weeks back Panasonic were selling refurb Panasonic 65DX902's on their eBay refurb site for less than 2k. They soon sold but I have no idea if they are getting more.

But its not all lost, if you wait the Sony tv's will for sure go down in price. Its just not been that long since release so they are still very overpriced.

I saw some enterprising people on Ebay selling both models way north of £2k - so they must have been amazing sets. But I think I'll do as you say and wait - already seeing them both around the £1800 mark online. Forgive me for my ignorance, but does fully back lighting vs. edge lighting make any difference for gaming? Lookig at the specs of all my previous TV's they have all been edge lit so have nothing to use as a contrast

For gaming it's no different from anything else. But the new XE93 is a edge lit model that's actually better than it's direct lit XE90 sister. It however is only really because the XE90 although direct lit FALD isn't in the same class as other FALD tv's like I've already mentioned and especially the flagship Sony ZD9.

If price wasn't a consideration, would you get the 65" xe93 or the 65" dx902? Main uses will be streaming (probably majority of content non HDR) and ps4 pro.

I would go for the Sony, but my main reason for doing that would be because of their promise to add Dolby vision support.

I don't think that warrants the extra right now, it may though if you wait and purchase the XE93 when it's reduced farther.

Thanks. I'm tempted by it, but after reading the owners thread an the site with an s in the name, seeing some of the screen shots, I think I'm fancying the xe93 now - mainly I think for the slightly better viewing angles (main sofa seat is directly on but I do have another where you've possibly got a 70 -45 degree angle) and possibly slightly better reflective qualities

At that angle any VA panel will be worse. Whilst the Panasonics viewing angles deteriorate once past 16 degrees off centre, the Sony will still deteriorate at around 20 degrees off centre.

So really if you want better viewing angles you have to look at a TV with an IPS type panel and loose a lot of HDR capability or go for an OLED instead.

You can see the viewing angle of the XE93 on the canadian site rtings.com: Sony X930E Review (XBR55X930E, XBR65X930E)

Goto the picture quality section under viewing angles.

Thanks. I'm tempted by it, but after reading the owners thread an the site with an s in the name, seeing some of the screen shots, I think I'm fancying the xe93 now - mainly I think for the slightly better viewing angles (main sofa seat is directly on but I do have another where you've possibly got a 70 -45 degree angle) and possibly slightly better reflective qualities

No worries.

I'd been swithering between the two myself albeit the 55" XE93 and 58" DX902 until today. Although 3" doesn't sound a lot that coupled with the stand on the DX902 (pushes it further away from wall than I'd like) means the Sony more practical in our living room.

Throw in slightly better viewing angles (kids sit off centre) and the upcoming addition of Dolby Vision (slight future proofing?) was enough to sway me. Price wasn't really an issue as only £200 or so difference between the two after a pricematch on the XE903.

Suspect neither is a bad choice. Did see the 65" XE903 in John Lewis today and if my Wife hadn't been with me I might have accidentally ordered the 'wrong' size ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, oled would be a better choice for the second couch, but the majority of the time it's just me anyway. A 55" is probably more practical/fits the space better but if I haven't got anyone to obey, who needs practical Just really the xe93 that comes into my price point right now, the 65" 2017 oleds are still priced a bit dizzy for me.

Look at the price history of last years OLEDs. I would be annoyed if I bought a Sony XE93 now when prices were almost half of release come next spring on the OLEDs. Especially when other manufacturers are also going to be introducing budget OLEDs like Toshiba/Vestel. Even if it 9 months from now that a 65" OLED creeps into your budget, its worth the wait imo.

Or just try and source a 2016 model ex display/refurb/second hand.

Not to mention the XE93 will be a lot cheaper with time too.

What about the lack of Dolby Vision on the 9005....is that correct??
....I'm feeling that the 9005 isn't as future proofed as the 9305.....!!

What about the lack of Dolby Vision on the 9005....is that correct??
....I'm feeling that the 9005 isn't as future proofed as the 9305.....!!

That is correct. Dolby Vision is only coming to sets that have the X1 extreme processor which the 9305 has.

That is correct. Dolby Vision is only coming to sets that have the X1 extreme processor which the 9305 has.
....Thanks....suppose same applies to HDR10/HLG?
Should this be making the 9005 altogether a less attractive proposition??

The problem is once you start looking at the XE9305 for Dolby Vision its better value to spend more again on one of the LG OLEDs instead, by far.

....Hhhmmm...and it's a LOT more for an oled 65" too!
Didn't I read somewhere that there are problems (uniformity?) with the 65" oled panels??

....Hhhmmm...and it's a LOT more for an oled 65" too!
Didn't I read somewhere that there are problems (uniformity?) with the 65" oled panels??
Yes at 65" the OLEDs carry a premium. It depends on the prices you can get for both models but I think the 65" XE93 is priced quite a bit lower currently.

I expect the 65" OLEDs will be reduced soon though, last year the 65" B6 went down by about £400 or so from £2700 to £2300 come the clearance sales in spring, this year lets hope they also get reduced.

Its worth the wait, provided you get in there before they are sold out.

Indeed. I think if you have the money and buy at the right time to get the best deal it's probably worth the XE93.

It's not just about Dolby vision but it's also much better with HDR.

If you are only going to be using the tv for HDR 10 content like HDR gaming then Dolby Vision isn't important at all though.

wow..... so has edgelit really come on that much that it can own a FALD 75XE9005?
I was going to get a 75XE9005 but i suppose i could get a 65XE9305

unfortunately i doubt even in the most optimistic firesale the 75XE9405 will get the the circa 2500k mark?

wow..... so has edgelit really come on that much that it can own a FALD 75XE9005?
Yes, but its aided by the fact the XE9005 doesn't actually have that many zones, so its local dimming isn't as good as some other FALD TVs. By comparison the XE9305's local dimming is the best we have seen from an edge lit model. If you we're comparing a model like the XE94 to the XE93 there is no competition.

unfortunately i doubt even in the most optimistic firesale the 75XE9405 will get the the circa 2500k mark?
Last year the 75XD94 went down to £3000 in April, you may find it slightly cheaper this year, not sure. The larger screen sizes don't seem to change price as much as the lower ones, supply and demand in the UK I guess. Probably very different in countries where people buy bigger TV's!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom