Sony KD55XH9505 alternative

Reaction score
Hello,

Been a while since I've looked at TV's but like to keep up to date what's out there incase I need to grab one quickly as my 42" Panny plasma is years old but still going strong.

Anyway if does break down soon and I need a replacement TV sharpish I was hoping the 55" XH9505 from last year would still be available but with looks of it that's not going to happen as stock from the usual retailers like Richer Sounds/John Lewis etc is zero. The 49" in theory would be ideal size wise around 50" as 55" might be a struggle were it sits at the min but again there's nothing about and I read the 49" wasn't as highly spec as the 55".

So what's the alternative to the Sony 55" XH9505 in 2021/2022 at 55"?

Anything from Samsung QLED range as from what I read they were decent sets over the last few years

Shame the Sony replacement for the XH9505 only starts at 65"

Not interested in OLED sets due to screen issues with Sky tv banners/logo's etc tc

Cheers

At 55" a declining market, at 49" even worse.
You're looking at the Samsung QN9xA models, the QN90A is a different TV and may come with an IPS panel. X designates a digit of 1,2,3,4 or 5.

They sell 50" models too but they are lower spec, with lower brightness. Its a usual trait for manufacturers to gimp the specs of smaller TVs.

The only other promising option looks to be the TCL C825, but we know very little about it with only 'by eye' reviews on the internet without any pro measurements to back the claims up. They're positive reviews though.

Can safely say there's nothing else this year for LCD TVs. Philips MiniLED models start at 65", the Sony X95J start at 65" Hisense's new U8GQ (European model) is a downgrade compared to last years U8Q and LG are still behind the curve with technology insisting to use IPS tech on their TVs..IPS tech is really not a good option in the HDR era.

Oh and Panasonic having made a higher end LCD since 2016.

Thanks for info, not looking good then at 55”
Whats your thoughts on the Sammy 55QN95A & 94A.
What’s below the 94A does it then drop to the 80’s?

At 55" a declining market, at 49" even worse.
You're looking at the Samsung QN9xA models, the QN90A is a different TV and may come with an IPS panel. X designates a digit of 1,2,3,4 or 5.

They sell 50" models too but they are lower spec, with lower brightness. Its a usual trait for manufacturers to gimp the specs of smaller TVs.

The only other promising option looks to be the TCL C825, but we know very little about it with only 'by eye' reviews on the internet without any pro measurements to back the claims up. They're positive reviews though.

Can safely say there's nothing else this year for LCD TVs. Philips MiniLED models start at 65", the Sony X95J start at 65" Hisense's new U8GQ (European model) is a downgrade compared to last years U8Q and LG are still behind the curve with technology insisting to use IPS tech on their TVs..IPS tech is really not a good option in the HDR era.

Oh and Panasonic having made a higher end LCD since 2016.
Hi thanks for the info, not looking good then at 55”, it used to be a great size for top end spec.

Shame the Sony replacement now starts at 65”

Whats your thoughts on the Sammy 55QN95A & 94A as the QLED LCD from the past 2 years have had great reviews so imagine the 2021 ones would be also good.

What’s below the 94A does it then drop to the 80’s? As I’ve no idea in what order the new QLED’s from Samsung start at and go to etc.

Never heard of TCL but the one you mention has some decent reviews

Last edited:
On the LCD front there's nothing better overall than the Samsung QN9xA models. Excluding the QN90A which is different.
The QN95A has the one connect box, otherwise picture quality of the QN94A (or any variant, where X can be 1,2,3,4) is the same.

The next down is the QN85A which could be using an IPS type panel and best avoided and beneath that is the Q80A which is also a good option if you are looking to spend less money. The main drawback to the Q80A is less dimming zones, lower brightness and poorer viewing angles.

The 49xh9505 is well specced for HDR, just slightly weak viewing angles if that’s a concern (in which case the 55” would be too).
There are still some 49s around for c.£800.
I’m very happy with mine

On the LCD front there's nothing better overall than the Samsung QN9xA models. Excluding the QN90A which is different.
The QN95A has the one connect box, otherwise picture quality of the QN94A (or any variant, where X can be 1,2,3,4) is the same.

The next down is the QN85A which could be using an IPS type panel and best avoided and beneath that is the Q80A which is also a good option if you are looking to spend less money. The main drawback to the Q80A is less dimming zones, lower brightness and poorer viewing angles.
Morning Dodgexander,

Yeh looking for the best LCD’s out there for viewing Sky Q HD TV, Sky sports HD, Netflix HD, and odd movie lobbed in etc.

Majority of content viewed at min are in HD apart from when wife just watches soaps and she tends to just watch on non HD sky channels for some reason.
We do have Sky UHD/4K of what ever they call it but our Panny plasma is just a HD ready tv from donkey’s years ago.

So it goes QN95, 94, 93, 92, 91.

Then a QN90, what’s different about the QN90 then.

Then it drops to 85’s range and then 80’’s.

Think I read they also do a 50” on the QN range which if honest is ideal size for we’re it would be placed at the moment but I presume less technology than the 55” version, why they have to do that just annoys me as not everyone can accommodate a whopping screen size.

Anti reflection screen and great viewing angles is important for us, again due to we’re it is to be placed at the moment next to a big bow window.

Did think about OLED as design wise they look great, but not willing to take the risk with screen burn/retention or what ever it’s called as our main tv viewing is Sky and it’s still full of them banners and logo’s and I like my tv to last donkeys years.

Thinking of maybe a media wall when I redesign the lounge which would then enable larger screen etc but not 100% sure if bothered.

Thanks for info really appreciated

Last edited:
The 49xh9505 is well specced for HDR, just slightly weak viewing angles if that’s a concern (in which case the 55” would be too).
There are still some 49s around for c.£800.
I’m very happy with mine
Hi vickster,

Thank you for your post

yeh considered the 49” Sony XH9595 as ideal size is about 50” but did read some reviews saying it wasn’t specked as good as the 55” version for some reason. Think it mentioned viewing angles and something else not as good.

Few sites I checked said no stock at all.

Shame the 2021 XH9595 replacement starts at 65”

Hi vickster,

Thank you for your post

yeh considered the 49” Sony XH9595 as ideal size is about 50” but did read some reviews saying it wasn’t specked as good as the 55” version for some reason. Think it mentioned viewing angles and something else not as good.

In my opinion the 49XH9505 is better than the larger models as it does not have the wide viewing angle and anti reflection enhancements. This results in it having a significantly higher contrast ratio.
I have a 49XH9505 and find it can be watched at upto 20 degrees off centre without problem and have no problems with reflections although it faces an extensive southern aspect window.

Hi vickster,

Thank you for your post

Stock here ( a well established independent, selling high end hifi, they were already in Beckenham when I lived there 20 years ago :))

Smiths & Spatial through Pricerunner say to call, worth a try

Could always see if your local John Lewis has an open box clearance model

Hi vickster,

Thank you for your post

Correct. It tops around 800 nits and has 24 dimming zones. The 55 inch exceeds 1000 nits and has 48 zones. Larger models also have better reflection handeling. The 49 inch lacks X-wide angle, a flush-surface bezel, the 2 position stand, X-balanced speakers and a backlit remote. HDR experience on the 55 inch+ wil be better.

The QN90A models have varying panel types at different sizes, a lot like the QN85A models.

Apart from that the difference from best to worse is with number of dimming zones and peak brightness. So the QN90A is also dimmer than the QN9xA models.

Size is key with Samsung models too, the 50" QN90A and QN94A do not get as bright as the larger models.

The QN90A models have varying panel types at different sizes, a lot like the QN85A models.

Apart from that the difference from best to worse is with number of dimming zones and peak brightness. So the QN90A is also dimmer than the QN9xA models.

Size is key with Samsung models too, the 50" QN90A and QN94A do not get as bright as the larger models.
Morning

So in theory the Samsung QN95A is now the best LCD tv out there at the min at 55” seen as the XH9505 is no longer available & the replacement now starts at 65” and there’s nothing decent at 50”

Then it goes QN94 which is a 95 but without one connect box (that thing looks massive by way)

And then it goes down in numbers 93 etc, only thought they was 95 and 94.

Forgot the 90 as you mention the screens are a lottery.

Then it goes to 85, 84 which is less tech/quality than the 95/94 hence cheaper price.

Seen as it’s coming to end of 2021 is they anything on horizon from Sony & Samsung for 2022 in 50-55” or do the models go 2021-2022 then 2022-2023.

Thanks everyone just trying to get my head round these models numbers in which order they go. 👍😃

It was a lot easier years ago

Not sure on specs but just checked and my plasma is apparently a 2009 model. Wow!

I’m sure they will be better than my 12 year old Panny plasma TX- P42X10B which is still going strong if honest and served me well.

Last edited:
New models will be out in spring.
If you want smaller than 55, have you considered a 48” OLED.

The logic in your post makes sense, but there's not incremental gains as often as you say.

QN95A is as good as the QN94A, QN93A, QN92A, QN91A but it comes with a one connect box.
Then next is the QN90A, a tier down in brightness and local dimming.
Then next is the QN85A

The logic in your post makes sense, but there's not incremental gains as often as you say.

QN95A is as good as the QN94A, QN93A, QN92A, QN91A but it comes with a one connect box.
Then next is the QN90A, a tier down in brightness and local dimming.
Then next is the QN85A
Morning and thanks for the reply appreciated.

So basically the QN95 is same as the 94-91 but just has a one connect box and the others don’t.

I thought that difference of one connect box was between 95 & 94 then 93 down to 91 still had no one connect box but also got less spec as the numbers went down.

So basically would you say the 95 and 94 depending if need the one connect box are the best LCD out there at the min.

Got to admit I think that one box thing looks huge but probably an advantage for people wanting to wall mount their tv sets.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom