Sony KD55XH9005 viewing angles

reefa99

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Looking at purchasing this TV and wondering what the viewing angles are like?

It will be for a bright room and placed in the corner.

Also, is the HDR picture good on this as seen a view comments on here that were not very favourable?

Looking at the £779 Richer Sounds deal, not sure when the new range is out to see if will drop any further but my max budget is £800.

Thanks
Athers

Hi,

Also, is the HDR picture good on this as seen a view comments on here that were not very favourable?

Looking at the £779 Richer Sounds deal, not sure when the new range is out to see if will drop any further but my max budget is £800.

Thanks
Athers
You need to check out reviews TBH. I have found that the VA panel on my 8505 is much better than VA panels from Panasonic for viewing angles as there isn't the sharp drop-off in image quality that you can get sometimes when looking at an angle.

I must admit that the HDR picture on mine (peak brightness of 450nits) is better than SDR (testing on an ATV 4k forcing HDR settings on and off) when viewing content such as Avengers Endgame and LOTR. This surprised me, although I should say I am not an expert in this field, simply looking at challenging scenes and being happy to force HDR off if it would make for a better picture given that I use the ATV for streaming content. Given the 9005 has somewhere between 600-750 nits peak brightness and FALD, I would say it would be better.

The Rtings review makes the following statement about HDR on this model.

The HDR brightness is decent. It gets bright enough to deliver a fairly good HDR experience, especially if you're watching in a dark to moderately lit room, but it doesn't look as punchy in a bright room setting.

Last edited:
Hi,

Thanks
Athers

The viewing angles are a typical VA panel so always best not to view from an angle. The HDR isn't great, for that you need to go up to the XH95.

Mentioned this to some others looking for information on a few threads but mines arrives today so I'll be able to give a bit of a run down later all going well.

its a bummer when Currys is closed and you cannot see this on a shop tv.

So had the TV for 6 hours or so. Not long enough to fully test it out and will probably play about with settings but initial impressions are positive.
Very impressed with the black levels. We have upgraded this TV from a Toshiba 55U6863DB
2nd of all is an appreciation of the difference that size can have regarding picture quality.
Sitting about 3 meters from the 55" TV I don't think we were fully benefitting from 4K content, but upgrading ton75" and you can really see the details and also just how sharp the lines are between foreground/background. Again, highlighted in dark scenes. Very minimal blooming.
I'm using a soundbar with rear speakers so can't really comment on the TVs sound.
Not watched too much HDR content outside of YouTube but it definitely gets bright enough from that to appreciate the content.
Colours in general are brilliant though and really pop in SDR. Will watch some Attenborough docs to force the HDR to shine and comment back when I do so.

Any other questions feel free to ask.

So had the TV for 6 hours or so. Not long enough to fully test it out and will probably play about with settings but initial impressions are positive.
Very impressed with the black levels. We have upgraded this TV from a Toshiba 55U6863DB
2nd of all is an appreciation of the difference that size can have regarding picture quality.
Sitting about 3 meters from the 55" TV I don't think we were fully benefitting from 4K content, but upgrading ton75" and you can really see the details and also just how sharp the lines are between foreground/background. Again, highlighted in dark scenes. Very minimal blooming.
I'm using a soundbar with rear speakers so can't really comment on the TVs sound.
Not watched too much HDR content outside of YouTube but it definitely gets bright enough from that to appreciate the content.
Colours in general are brilliant though and really pop in SDR. Will watch some Attenborough docs to force the HDR to shine and comment back when I do so.

Any other questions feel free to ask.
Thanks for the mini review. Could you comment on the viewing angle if about 35 degrees off central viewing please and does it have much reflection on the screen in the daytime?

Finally how is watching football on it? Any motion blur and trails behind the ball?

Any other bad points you've found so far?

Thanks

Thanks for the mini review. Could you comment on the viewing angle if about 35 degrees off central viewing please and does it have much reflection on the screen in the daytime?

Finally how is watching football on it? Any motion blur and trails behind the ball?

Any other bad points you've found so far?

Thanks
Will let you judge for yourself. With regards to Football I've not seen any major issues watching. Very fast shots you'll see some trailing of the ball but it doesn't bother me too much. I'd suggest setting the motionflow settings to 2 for Smoothness and 1 for Clarity (Black Frame Insertion) Any higher than 1 and the screen starts to dim.

Attachments

• 20210324_111434.jpg
    20210324_111434.jpg
    205.4 KB · Views: 70
  • 20210324_111443.jpg
    20210324_111443.jpg
    228.3 KB · Views: 80
  • 20210324_111505.jpg
    20210324_111505.jpg
    208 KB · Views: 82

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?