Question Sony KD55XD8599 or KDL-65W859C

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by callmeal, Feb 18, 2017.

1. callmeal

callmeal
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Trying to decide between the Sony KD55XD8599(55") and KDL-65W859C(65")
    I can get both for about the same price with the latter being a little more expensive.
    Not really that bothered about 4k/HDR, most of content I watch will be SD and HD. Also will be streaming lots of football that is generally not great quality so worried it will look awful being upscaled by the xd85? Another concern for me is viewing angles, I understand the xd85 is ips so will have much better viewing angles. Not sure exactly what my setup will be at the moment but more than likely not going to have ideal center on viewing in the room I plan to put it in.
    Any input would be appreciated, thanks

2. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,043
    What kind of angles are you talking? VA type tv's like the W8xxc series have about a 20° degree off centre limit until the picture degrades. Yes SD stuff, particularly heavily compressed streams or channels will look worse upscaled to UHD.

3. callmeal

callmeal
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd say viewing angles will be 30 degrees max. It's actually a new house I haven't moved into yet so I guess I'll just have to wait til I get in there and see what I can do with the setup in the room. I have an LG LM640T which is LED so I suppose I can test with that TV before and see what the viewing angles are like. Definitely sounds like a UHD tv will not suit my viewing anyway

4. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,043
    LG 910v older OLED would suit you perfectly, FHD plus the widest viewing angles. It's curved with no flat equivalent but don't let that put you off. It's the best FHD tv there is.

But perhaps at just 30% you won't notice much degrading on a VA type panel. You could maybe take a look at some tv's like the Panasonic DX-700/750/802 and 902. They will have the same kind of viewing angles as the Sony w8 series.

Soon new tv's are due to be released too, including a new Samsung range with wide viewing angles but high contrast VA type panels.