Question Sony - KD55AG9BU or KD55AG8BU

Loobc

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm not great when it comes to TV specs so I'm just looking to you for help!

I'm looking for a new TV this month, mainly for films, PS4 Pro (and 5 when it's out) and of course Netflix etc, I want to keep with my Sony theme I have (this may or maynot be right but it's what I like).

I've seen the new Sony line up for 2019 and like the look of the new KD55AG9BU and KD55AG8BU is the KD55AG9BU worth the extra £700? I've only been able to see the AG8 in the flesh and it looks lovely.

Any advice will be greatly received.

Many Thanks,

L

The AG9 was in the Sony centre in Leeds on display, but not yet available for delivery. It was next to an AG8, and looked near identical front and rear from memory, although I was principally looking at the AG8.

Both sets have an upright stance without the silly AF9 A frame design, which put me off as my set will be wall mounted.

The sound system has been improved on the AG8 compared to the AF8, with extra upwards firing normal speakers, and the screen activators moved nearer the edgo of the screen to widen the sound output. THe AG9 appears similar but has more speakers?

As far as I can see the extra cost gets you slightly better sound, and the ultimate processor introduced with the AF9, instead of the Extreme processor carried over from the AF8.

I went for the AF8 from Richer Sounds as they give a 6 year warranty, and had a £200 discount over the bank holiday. (Hidden and not showing on their normal site, as apparently they were using it to see if potential buyers were visiting associated sites.) John Lewis are still offering a £100 voucher with all OLED's and a 5 year warranty.

Mine arrives tomorrow:)

Still torn and would like to see them side by side, how are you getting on with yours day?

So far its great. A 4k source from Amazon is excellant.
However programes with a lot of old media don't do that well. Just watched a documentary about the QE2 full of old film clips and they were terrible at times, blurred and out of focus.

Couple of annoyances. Sony set wont pause a programme even though it accepts a hard drive plugged in. And you cant record a programme with youview enabled. Every programme source has to be set up individually.
Despite all the claims about use in a bright room, our normal practice of closing the curtains when viewing tv worked fine this afternòon. It comes with brightness set at max by default, I found that too bright and have altered them all to 50% for now

I've been looking for some picture setups, not really been able to find any. Have you had any luck?

The sales guy also mentioned Netflix Calibration mode but I think he got confused with the Master series

I've been looking for some picture setups, not really been able to find any. Have you had any luck?

The sales guy also mentioned Netflix Calibration mode but I think he got confused with the Master series

Always be wary of sales folk! Sure you know that anyway. 'Netflix calibration mode' is ultimately an ineffective marketing gimmick. I wouldn't let it affect any decisions one way or the other..

If you select Netflix from the remote button it starts up with the settings best for Netflix

Always be wary of sales folk! Sure you know that anyway. 'Netflix calibration mode' is ultimately an ineffective marketing gimmick. I wouldn't let it affect any decisions one way or the other..

I had already bought the TV, he just mentioned it in passing as I was walking out.

So far its great. A 4k source from Amazon is excellant.
However programes with a lot of old media don't do that well. Just watched a documentary about the QE2 full of old film clips and they were terrible at times, blurred and out of focus.

Couple of annoyances. Sony set wont pause a programme even though it accepts a hard drive plugged in. And you cant record a programme with youview enabled. Every programme source has to be set up individually.
Despite all the claims about use in a bright room, our normal practice of closing the curtains when viewing tv worked fine this afternòon. It comes with brightness set at max by default, I found that too bright and have altered them all to 50% for now

I'm having so many issues, not sure if it's my panel. Currently watching the UHD film from Sky Q, it's flickering everywhere, so much grain too. Terbile so far.

There is one setting in the advanced pixture options that doesnt work well in the uk, as needs the 60hz electric supply as in usa. In uk on low it is fine, change to high and the picture flickers

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom