Question SONY KD55AG8BU V LGC9

Tprd

Standard Member
Afternoon all,

This is my first post, thanks in advance for any advice.

Just moved into my first home and wanting to treat myself to a 55’ OLED.

Used with Sky Q, lots of Netflix, sports and movies.

Had my eye on the LG C9 a few weeks ago, went in to Currys, had a look, was happy to proceed but decided to wait until Black Friday.

Whilst I was in there, the staff member pointed out the AG8, which was £1799 I believe, (£200 more then the £1499 C9) said it was the better tv if I could stretch the extra £200.

I went away to debate it and now the AG8 has dropped to £1299! However, looks at reviews online, the C9 still seems to win, which contradicts what I was told in store.

So, in short, my questions are, which would you go for? (Also aware the C9 will probably drop for Black Friday too)

Thanks again

Aaron

jpr141

Sony probably has the best upscaling. If you for example have cable or sky and can set it up so the TV does all upscaling then the Sony will be very good. If you watch a lot of HDR movies than the C9 may be the better option.

It is true the C9 is very well rated in UK reviews, the US though it doesn't get lauded over quite so much. Swings 'n roudabouts really.

smallblueplanet

Can anyone list the pros and cons of both please? Was wondering about the Sony as I watch lots of Sky sports. But (am I mis-remembering and poorly paraphrasing) doesn't the Sony dim the whole screen when there's a static image rather than dimming just the image?

kenfowler3966

AG8 55" cost £2300 when first released, so fantastic value now. The previous model AF8 didnt get down to this sort of price until the AG8 was available.
I went for this model due to the excellant built in sound quality meaning I no longer need a soundbar, which wouldnt be the case with the LG
I have never noticed any dimming.

Aryn86

AG8=AF8=A1. Sony have have not been doing much work on their tier 2 Oled's it's been the same thing over and over with their focus on their flagship models. Stick with the C9 or maybe the Panasonic GZ950.

jpr141

This stuff is a minefield. One minute you think you've made up your mind and..

A guy on youtube called Quantum TV reckons the Sony AG8 has a motion problem with fast action. Extremely unusual for Sony. Check out his videos. Although a setting called 24 sync does somewhat help. This dude also really dislikes LG OLED. Something about the reds.

Searching on google and youtube over the past week or two. I've now seen some rather off-putting things said about all the OLEDs. Overall I might go back to the 950 or even a Philips, in general during all the searching they seem to fare best.

Aryn86

This stuff is a minefield. One minute you think you've made up your mind and..

A guy on youtube called Quantum TV reckons the Sony AG8 has a motion problem with fast action. Extremely unusual for Sony. Check out his videos. Although a setting called 24 sync does somewhat help. This dude also really dislikes LG OLED. Something about the reds.

Searching on google and youtube over the past week or two. I've now seen some rather off-putting things said about all the OLEDs. Overall I might go back to the 950 or even a Philips, in general during all the searching they seem to fare best.
This is the problem, the guy you're mentioning is a certified clown. I know it's not easy with lots of people making youtube vids but this guy is an attention seeking grifter I wouldn't listen to anything he has to say, he's been doing it for years randomly attacking professional reviewers for views amongst other things. He's done and said lots of other shady stuff but I think you get the point of what I'm saying.

jpr141

This is the problem, the guy you're mentioning is a certified clown. I know it's not easy with lots of people making youtube vids but this guy is an attention seeking grifter I wouldn't listen to anything he has to say, he's been doing it for years randomly attacking professional reviewers for views amongst other things. He's done and said lots of other shady stuff but I think you get the point of what I'm saying.
I've only recently noticed the channel. On one vid I heard him say he goes to houses to calibrate. I obviously know that doesn't necessarily mean he's qualified though.

Well tbh I was thinking he was all over the ag8 in his first vid about it, a couple of vids later he seems to be gradually changing his tune about the TV.

Aryn86

I've only recently noticed the channel. On one vid I heard him say he goes to houses to calibrate. I obviously know that doesn't necessarily mean he's qualified though.

Well tbh I was thinking he was all over the ag8 in his first vid about it, a couple of vids later he seems to be gradually changing his tune about the TV.
It's all an act, he's been doing it for years. One time he tried to claim his Oled got burn in after a week of use :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

smallblueplanet

Well it's like clickbait, you've got to keep the punters coming back for more...

Just go for one, I think they all sound great tbh, and like you I'd like to think I've bought the best. I have this bad habit of taking too much notice of the 'one star' reviews and ignoring the vast quantity of positive ones! Lol. #humannature

dion 6

AG8=AF8=A1. Sony have have not been doing much work on their tier 2 Oled's it's been the same thing over and over with their focus on their flagship models. Stick with the C9 or maybe the Panasonic GZ950.
If it was me it would be between the LGC9 and the Panasonic GZ950 they are the two best rated.

Tim2049

He's really contradictory. Also a complete fruit loop (frequenty refers to himself in the third person). One minute OLED is crap, the next he's raving about it. Check out his reples to anyone who ever dares question his opinion - the guy is rude beyond belief.

jpr141

He's really contradictory. Also a complete fruit loop (frequenty refers to himself in the third person). One minute OLED is crap, the next he's raving about it. Check out his reples to anyone who ever dares question his opinion - the guy is rude beyond belief.
I've also noticed he takes the **** of Vincent and his reviews. Not cool.