Sony KD49XG9005BU or OLED

Wildboar81

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi all

I’m long overdue a tv upgrade after persisting for the last 5 years with my (now) wife’s Samsung LE46A756R1M that is so old I cannot find its build date on google!

I've been researching and think that for LED the Sony KD49XG9005BU looks to be around the best available (although I’m intrigued by ambilight) and would suit our needs nicely. The problem I have is that the price pitches it towards the low end OLED market where I’ve seen a Phillips (55OLED754) around £900 and LG (OLED55B9PLA) pushing below £1k.

OLED seems to be the best standard but I’m concerned buying towards the low end wouldnt be advisable and buying a top end LED the wiser choice. Does anyone have any advice as I’m keen to buy a new tv but keep it under £1k. I’m open to all suggestions.

I mainly watch sky tv and online services (Netflix, Amazon, etc) but I do have an Xbox one but gaming isn’t exactly a priority. I just want a good solid tv that will keep up with the next raft of technology (Dolby vision mainly).

Thanks in advance and happy quarantining.

There's no such thing as low end OLEDs, they all use the same panel be it a £2500 model or a £1000 model.

You may consider holding off for 48" OLEDs this year if you want sub 55". Otherwise the two OLEDs you mention are very good value right now.

The Sony isn't fantastic value at that price but it's the next best option behind the OLEDs, and the best TV you can buy for picture quality beneath 55".

See this thread where people have found refurb 49XG9005's for just £470:

I mainly watch sky tv and online services (Netflix, Amazon, etc) but I do have an Xbox one but gaming isn’t exactly a priority. I just want a good solid tv that will keep up with the next raft of technology (Dolby vision mainly).
I really suggest the LG B9 then. It has the best implementation of Dolby Vision HDR and the most future proof HDMI ports.

46” to 48/49” won’t be a massive upgrade. Presumably the LG has massive bezels? I’d go to 55” and get one of the oleds you’ve listed, the B9 being better for gaming.

The reason I was looking at 49inch is because I’m worried the 55 will be a little too big. Then again I currently own the worlds oldest 46inch with bezels making up at least a couple inches either side.

Sounds like I should go for the OLED and if I really want a sub 50 version then go refurb for now and save the pennies for later.
Thanks for the advice and links.

There's no such thing as low end OLEDs, they all use the same panel be it a £2500 model or a £1000 model.

You may consider holding off for 48" OLEDs this year if you want sub 55". Otherwise the two OLEDs you mention are very good value right now.

The Sony isn't fantastic value at that price but it's the next best option behind the OLEDs, and the best TV you can buy for picture quality beneath 55".

See this thread where people have found refurb 49XG9005's for just £470:

I any other LED should be chosen ahead of the Sony then let me know (if I choose not to wait for the 49" OLED which will probably retail around £1,500 at launch).

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom