Sony KD49XG9005

Hi Guys,

Looked "almost" everywhere in the settings and I can't get my Home screen to my liking, can anyone help.

1) The Google recommendations are a complete waste of space so I want to get rid of them, I've turned them off in settings, but it still shows an unhappy cloud telling me to turn it back on again.

2) The Featured Apps section is heavily over populated, but I can't find a way to get rid of the useless ones, Kids stuff and Orchestral music need to go.

3) My Apps, needs to be the top line, so I can get to what I really want.

Also I wondered if anyone had a code for my One For All remote, it would be handy to have the basics on it when we are watching Sky, or Freesat.

Regards,

Paul

@Pebbleridge I've just remembered, the Sky+ HD boxes have an 'Automatic' resolution in the video output settings. You want to use this.

This will mean the the Sky box will output 576i for SD channels and 1080i for HD channels. And this will mean that the TV will be doing all the hard work with the deinterlacing and upscaling.

:)

Hi,
I'll give that a try and see what difference it makes.
We're running a test to see which gives the best picture from our two boxes (Sky or Freesat) and I'll report back with any findings.
Have you got a Sky Q box? if so do you let it do the upscaling or your Sony.
Paul

Hi,
I'll give that a try and see what difference it makes.
We're running a test to see which gives the best picture from our two boxes (Sky or Freesat) and I'll report back with any findings.
Have you got a Sky Q box? if so do you let it do the upscaling or your Sony.
Paul
I do not have a SkyQ box, however if I did I would have it hardset to 1080i because this is what all HD channels are broadcast on via satellite. If I had skyQ with UHD content, I would still have the box hardset to 1080i, and then when I was viewing some content that was available in UHD I would press the prompt button which appears to change the box to 2160p 10bit to view that content. After viewing this UHD content I would then change it back to 1080i. Note that there is no Automatic/Native option for picture output on SkyQ nor is there an option of enabling different formats like with the Virgin V6 box. I think this is really poor from Sky and I would never pay for Sky whilst this is the case.

The TV (being a top end LED LCD model) will do a far better job of upscaling sub 4k content than either of the SkyQ boxes.

If I did have SkyQ I would not watch any Netflix/iPlayer/YouTube etc content through it. I would just use the built-in Android TV apps.

Cheers.

Hi,
Hope it's ok to post here but seriously considering this tv. Is it really the best 50" or below tv out there or would people consider other options?
Thanks

Hi,
Hope it's ok to post here but seriously considering this tv. Is it really the best 50" or below tv out there or would people consider other options?
Thanks

My shortlist was this Sony, the Samsung Q70 and the Panasonic GX80. For a sub 55" TV, they should be on your shortlist to weigh-up their respective pro's and con's and bang for your buck. The Richer Sounds £125 discount (Code RSTV125) swayed towards the Sony in the end.

Is it the best? I don't know. Is it better than the TV it replaced? Hell yes. If you want the best of the best, then you will need to look at the 55"+ TV's..

Hi all,
I am looking to buy a new tv for a new appartement, and it has to be under 50'' (I am still wondering if I want to go 49 or 43, my place is not that big).
I always liked Sony's picture quality so the KD49XG seems the way to go.
I also want a nice soundbar (to use also for sound in the appartement so chromecast needed) and I am thinking to take the sony HT-ZF9.
Something I was wondering if the TV will be able to play Atmos (let's say native TV Netflix app) through the ARC HDMI input to the soundbar or not? As the TV is not listed Atmos compatible.
I hoped not to have to connect another box like a nvidia shield to get the most of it.

Thanks!

My shortlist was this Sony, the Samsung Q70 and the Panasonic GX80. For a sub 55" TV, they should be on your shortlist to weigh-up their respective pro's and con's and bang for your buck. The Richer Sounds £125 discount (Code RSTV125) swayed towards the Sony in the end.

Is it the best? I don't know. Is it better than the TV it replaced? Hell yes. If you want the best of the best, then you will need to look at the 55"+ TV's..

Thank you, Mickus. Unfortunately due to where the tv is going, 50" is the absolute maximum size i can squeeze in. With that richers discount, I think it'll have to be the sony :)

Hi,
Thanks

Hi Marmoset,
It's taken me over a year to decide on my new TV, checking everything I could find in John Lewis, Currys and Richer Sounds, along with hours of reading online reviews and asking questions on forums (this forum is the best) and I decided on the KD49XG9005BU from Richer Sounds (with an extra £125 off if you buy now.
I've only had it a few days but it is amazing.
Regards,
Paul

Well had this set for just under a week a replacement of xf9005 and unfortunately it's bit of a step back main complaint is the blooming around any Bright objects is definitely alot more noticeable on this model compared the xf9005.. I've tried the same settings I had before and doing a reset no difference. I'm wondering if they've downgraded this panel in away.Maybe less dimming zones.

Hi.

Looking at getting this at Richer Sounds.

Is it possible to change the legs to a swivel stand? If so does anyone have any ideas.

Hi.

Looking at getting this at Richer Sounds.

Is it possible to change the legs to a swivel stand? If so does anyone have any ideas.

Hi,
I've literately just bought one of these:-

Amazon

It's not even been delivered yet, but as soon as it arrives (and I've set it up) I'll let you know if it's any good.

Regards,

Paul

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Well had this set for just under a week a replacement of xf9005 and unfortunately it's bit of a step back main complaint is the blooming around any Bright objects is definitely alot more noticeable on this model compared the xf9005.. I've tried the same settings I had before and doing a reset no difference. I'm wondering if they've downgraded this panel in away.Maybe less dimming zones.

Yeh blooming is pretty bad on this set, but, mainly with HDR material, I am surprised its much worse than the XF though? Is the peak brightness of the XG higher than the XF? With SDR the picture on the XG9005 is superb but HDR is spoilt by blooming for me, especially in low light conditions. Never been 100% happy with the HDR presentation myself., its less noticeable when its full screen HDR but cinemascope is pretty bad.

Does it really have less dimming zones than the XF?

Hi,
I've literately just bought one of these:-

Amazon

It's not even been delivered yet, but as soon as it arrives (and I've set it up) I'll let you know if it's any good.

Regards,

Paul
Thanks

Just got one of these. Will report back my impressions.

A shame that the mfrs are concentrating so much on larger TVs - seems a bit like the "go large" option at a McDs.

Hi,

Got my Swivel Stand the other day, (from Amazon) It fits a treat (fully height adjustable) looks to be well made, was easy to assemble/install.

It looks top notch when fitted and swivels with a little finger, I like it a lot.

Regards.

Paul

Hi,

Got my Swivel Stand the other day, (from Amazon) It fits a treat (fully height adjustable) looks to be well made, was easy to assemble/install.

It looks top notch when fitted and swivels with a little finger, I like it a lot.

Regards.

Paul
Thanks for letting me know. Got the tv last week, but lucky my stand is a perfect fit. Will save the link in case thanks change.

OK, got mine about an hour ago and set it up. Apps updated etc...

Just wondering with the Apps, Netflix, Prime, etc, are they 4k HDR? Is it better to play them through the TV, a Roku Stick+, Virgin V6 box, the in-built Chromecast or a discrete Chromecast Ultra?

Also, has anyone connected a USB HDD (which one?)? How well does it work?

OK, got mine about an hour ago and set it up. Apps updated etc...

Just wondering with the Apps, Netflix, Prime, etc, are they 4k HDR? Is it better to play them through the TV, a Roku Stick+, Virgin V6 box, the in-built Chromecast or a discrete Chromecast Ultra?

Also, has anyone connected a USB HDD (which one?)? How well does it work?

Sorry, can't help with your questions, but will be watching to see what the answers are.

You didn't mention upgrading to Oreo, this is no longer available "Over the air" but is definately worth doing, it gives you much more control over your home page.

Enjoy your TV, we LOVE ours.

Regards,

Paul

I'll definitely check the Android version. Do I need to download and sideload it somehow? I can't ceck right now because the TV has been commandeered to watch a movie by my wife and daughter.

The most important test has been passed, they like the TV!

I'll definitely check the Android version. Do I need to download and sideload it somehow? I can't ceck right now because the TV has been commandeered to watch a movie by my wife and daughter.

The most important test has been passed, they like the TV!

Hi,

Glad the family like the TV,

Everything you need to know about upgrading can be found on the link below.

Sony Update

I did mine the other day REALLY easy.

Regards,

Paul

Thanks, actually I'm already on there latest version.

Another question, my remote has a mic button and obviously the TV shows Google assistant, but how do I actually ask a question? Pressing the button doesn't seem to do anything...

Last edited:
Hi Palexr,
Sorry can't help you with that one, We have multiple Google home speakers, so we don't need to use the assistant built into the TV.
Regards,
Paul

Thanks. I worked it out (enable microphone in settings).

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom