Sony KD49XG9005

Hi LCD Seeker,

I'm beginning to realise that Hochanda on Satellite may be better quality than the Freeview signals I have been watching in John Lewis, the Product boxes on Freeview are "visible" but I wouldn't describe them as clear.

Would a Sky HD box be as good as Sky Q? (on SD channels.)

Regards,

Paul

No I doubt it. sky Q just gives you UHD (so long as you pay for it) and other user features such as the ability to record 4 channels at once, a huge recording memory etc etc. It will be just as watchable on a sky HD box. As Mallet says the XG will produce a perfectly watchable image. Wait for Black Friday and treat yourself.

Until broadcasters transmit in SD, the scaler quality must to be at the top, without regressing. Infact still nowadays, a lot of sources aren't just in 4K resolution, but still in SD, like online or radioantenna broadcasters.

If SD quality is poor in today TVs, it's due to marketing, to invite customers moving to 4K resolution. That's meaning that brands or online/radio broadcasters obligates people to pay for their servises as MUVI, Infinity, Netflix, Sky Q.

Imo, marketing aside, the scaler quality have to be improved hand in hand, considering also the greater experience in that field.
@Mallett94: some pics would be appreciated

See attached several photos of the Hochanda channel from both my seating position (2.5-3 metres away), and also up close in front of the TV. I think you'll all agree the image looks perfectly fine.

Attachments

• IMG_20191021_003431.jpg
    IMG_20191021_003431.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 299
  • IMG_20191021_003454.jpg
    IMG_20191021_003454.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 307
  • IMG_20191021_003506.jpg
    IMG_20191021_003506.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 277
  • IMG_20191021_003510.jpg
    IMG_20191021_003510.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 263
  • IMG_20191021_003557.jpg
    IMG_20191021_003557.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 240
  • IMG_20191021_003642.jpg
    IMG_20191021_003642.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 225
  • IMG_20191021_003724.jpg
    IMG_20191021_003724.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 208
  • IMG_20191021_003736.jpg
    IMG_20191021_003736.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 185
@Mallett94 Is it sourced from its DVB or from from an external decoder? The scaler seems good, even if is the Oneplus 7 that creates a pastel effect.

Contrast is a bit enhanced, but the thing I dont like most are colours like Reds: too much vivid. What contrast and colour setting are you using, and colour enhancer is set to on?

Hi well my 49xg9005 Is due to come tomorrow replacing my faulty 49xf9005 I really hope its a good set....finger's crossed otherwise might have to get the LG c9 lol

@Mallett94 Is it sourced from its DVB or from from an external decoder? The scaler seems good, even if is the Oneplus 7 that creates a pastel effect.

Contrast is a bit enhanced, but the thing I dont like most are colours like Reds: too much vivid. What contrast and colour setting are you using, and colour enhancer is set to on?

That's channel 85 on the built in tuner Freeview.

The picture settings for these photos were my Cinema Home SDR settings which can be seen at the link in my signature. No I have no colour enhancer or any settings like that for regular SDR content.

The One Plus 7 Pro camera did take the photos as HDR to be fair.

Hi LCDseeker my replacement xg came from Sony can't see any faults this time. Overall its pretty much the same as the xf9005 but the actual upscaling or processing of the tv picture (v6 tivo!) doesn't seem as sharp as the xf9005. Only had since Tuesday so will need to mess with the settings abit. The sound is abit weaker too.

Hi LCDseeker my replacement xg came from Sony can't see any faults this time. Overall its pretty much the same as the xf9005 but the actual upscaling or processing of the tv picture (v6 tivo!) doesn't seem as sharp as the xf9005. Only had since Tuesday so will need to mess with the settings abit. The sound is abit weaker too.

Fyi, the Virgin V6 box wants very explicit settings in the picture output options to achieve the best picture. You want to have checkboxes next to:
2160p
2160p passthrough (all Hz)
1080p passthrough (all Hz)
1080i
576i

If you setup the box like this then the following behaviour will occur in the V6 box;
For SD channels the picture will be output natively at 576i for the TV to deinterlace and upscale.
For HD channels the picture will be output natively at 1080i for the TV to deinterlace and upscale.
For the 2 4K channels available on Virgin (if you have them) the picture will be output natively at 2160p.
For any 1080p or 2160p content through any of the apps on the V6 box e.g. Netflix, YouTube etc, the picture will be output natively for the TV to upscale.

The only caveat here is that iPlayer through the V6, which maxes at 720p 50fps, will be upscaled to either 1080p or 2160p by the V6 box before being output. However I would highly recommend using the built in iPlayer app on the actual Android TV OS.

Your TV is pretty much the sameish as the 49XF90, therefore if you use @LCDseeker or @007L2Kill or my own settings (link in my signature) as a baseline, you can then tweak from there and hopefully achieve something you're happy with :)

Cheers.

Fyi, the Virgin V6 box wants very explicit settings in the picture output options to achieve the best picture. You want to have checkboxes next to:
2160p
2160p passthrough (all Hz)
1080p passthrough (all Hz)
1080i
576i

If you setup the box like this then the following behaviour will occur in the V6 box;
For SD channels the picture will be output natively at 576i for the TV to deinterlace and upscale.
For HD channels the picture will be output natively at 1080i for the TV to deinterlace and upscale.
For the 2 4K channels available on Virgin (if you have them) the picture will be output natively at 2160p.
For any 1080p or 2160p content through any of the apps on the V6 box e.g. Netflix, YouTube etc, the picture will be output natively for the TV to upscale.

The only caveat here is that iPlayer through the V6, which maxes at 720p 50fps, will be upscaled to either 1080p or 2160p by the V6 box before being output. However I would highly recommend using the built in iPlayer app on the actual Android TV OS.

Your TV is pretty much the sameish as the 49XF90, therefore if you use @LCDseeker or @007L2Kill or my own settings (link in my signature) as a baseline, you can then tweak from there and hopefully achieve something you're happy with :)

Cheers.
Hi mallet94 thanks for the advice I've just tried what you posted and it has helped thanks. Just need to get the right brightness Im still on android 7.0 shall I update? One thing thye have done is dimmed the menu it's in grey font will take sometime to get use too.. Its bit odd lol

Hi mallet94 thanks for the advice I've just tried what you posted and it has helped thanks. Just need to get the right brightness Im still on android 7.0 shall I update? One thing thye have done is dimmed the menu it's in grey font will take sometime to get use too.. Its bit odd lol
No problem. Would definitely recommend upgrading to Android TV 8.0

Do you mean brightness for SDR content?

Yeah brightness for sdr at moment have it at 17.

And in Motionflow you have custom with Clearness on 1?

Now as has been said many times, my settings are just what I have arrived at over time, but more recently after a fresh calibration following the Android TV 8 upgrade. You may want to tweak the SDR brightness up or down slightly based on your environment/preferences. Only thing I would say is you really don't want brightness to be much more than 20-25 max for SDR otherwise you will be spoiling the image in a sense and will also be underwhelmed by HDR!

hi everyone;

can you take a screenshot with aidata64 program here ,cpu & display & system information

Hi Guys

TV arrived this morning and I have been playing with it all day, mine's on Android Orio out of the box.

Biggest issue I have with it so far is I can't download any apps from the play store.

I'm sure I must be doing something stupid, but I'm used to Google/Android on my phone so I can't think what I'm doing wrong.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Regards,

Paul

Hi Paul.

Yeah, mine arrived today so I'm still finding my feet too.

One thing did on mine was to to into the 'My Apps' section on the apps screen and issued a 'Update all' on my installed apps. Google Play was one of them pending an update so I'm wondering if you need to update first. I have not downloaded any apps myself that being said.

I will play more tomorrow as it's now beer o'clock - and the pub is calling. Good luck!

P.s - first impressions - Loving it so far, and a massive upgrade from my Sony 40W705C. More tinkering required (I'm using Mallet94 XF's settings from his signature as a baseline - cheers mate).

Mine won't even do updates, I've made sure auto update is turned on, but I just have a travelling line under apps with "updates pending"
I might have to get Sony involved.
Paul

Mine won't even do updates, I've made sure auto update is turned on, but I just have a travelling line under apps with "updates pending"
I might have to get Sony involved.
Paul

Yeah, from the apps screen I saw the same on mine. I then went to the Google Play Store app and on the left hand banner under 'My Apps' I noticed a 'update all' icon which I selected. Then one by one they all updated. Took about 10 mins. I have now managed to sucessfully download and install an app from the store.

I'm trying to figure out if I can now organise my preferred apps into the 'Apps button' section..

@Pebbleridge I've just remembered, the Sky+ HD boxes have an 'Automatic' resolution in the video output settings. You want to use this.

This will mean the the Sky box will output 576i for SD channels and 1080i for HD channels. And this will mean that the TV will be doing all the hard work with the deinterlacing and upscaling.

:)

Hi Guys

TV arrived this morning and I have been playing with it all day, mine's on Android Orio out of the box.

Hmm. Just checked. I'm on version 7.0 (Nougart). Automatic update isn't finding any updates either. I have just downloaded the lastest firmware from Sony Support on to an USB drive. Question is, do I update or not..

Hi Paul.

Yeah, mine arrived today so I'm still finding my feet too.

One thing did on mine was to to into the 'My Apps' section on the apps screen and issued a 'Update all' on my installed apps. Google Play was one of them pending an update so I'm wondering if you need to update first. I have not downloaded any apps myself that being said.

I will play more tomorrow as it's now beer o'clock - and the pub is calling. Good luck!

P.s - first impressions - Loving it so far, and a massive upgrade from my Sony 40W705C. More tinkering required (I'm using Mallet94 XF's settings from his signature as a baseline - cheers mate).

Hi Mickus,

I left mine overnight (with auto updates on) and it's sorted itself out now, I can download apps (just downloaded VLC coz I didn't rate the "built in" Video app).

I'm very pleased with the picture quality, I'm also starting with Mallet94's settings and it's much better than when it came out of the box.

I'm also pleased to report it passed the "Hochanda" test.

Paul

Hmm. Just checked. I'm on version 7.0 (Nougart). Automatic update isn't finding any updates either. I have just downloaded the lastest firmware from Sony Support on to an USB drive. Question is, do I update or not..

I've only ever seen Android 8, so I can't tell you which is best to have, but I'm struggling to get the Home screen anything like I want it to be. (see next post)
Paul

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom