Sony KD49XG9005

Thanks for the reply. What sonos do you have? I'm wondering if the sonos beam would fit underneath.

I've have a 5.1 set-up with the soundbar, which fits perfectly between the legs ;-)

So I think the beam should fit without issue.

I've have a 5.1 set-up with the soundbar, which fits perfectly between the legs ;-)

So I think the beam should fit without issue.
Nice what soundbar? Just think the beam mite be bit too tall. Sorry for the demanding questions lol

No problem!
Sorry...I meant to say the Sonos Playbar (not Soundbar)
Nice I mite have to look into that too guess it would need an external sub. Well enjoy your new TV I should have mine soon.

Nice I mite have to look into that too guess it would need an external sub. Well enjoy your new TV I should have mine soon.

All Sonos products will benefit from.the Sub. But I've used the Playbar the first 4 year without a Sub and it works perfect. If you don't have any Sonos products at the moment and there is enough funds for it, I would start with Playbar + 2x one

Hi Guys,
Not got my KD49XG9005 yet (waiting for Black Friday) but would be interested in your ideas for getting stuff onto a portable USB hard drive (to watch on the TV).

Is it possible to get a USB Drive with a network connection, so I could download (from youtube etc) to my Network Drive and "wiz it" across my network to the USB Drive which is plugged into the Sony.

I realise I wouldn't have to do this if I streamed it directly from my Network Drive, but I don't think there is a way of deleting when I have watched something.

Or is there a better way?

Regards,

Paul

Hi guys just purchased the sony XG9005 very happy with my choice in the budget i had, i did have to return the panasonic TX-50GX800 which i have to say was very disappointed with watching football the motion was just awful guess that was down to the 60htz panel.

Hi guys just purchased the sony XG9005 very happy with my choice in the budget i had, i did have to return the panasonic TX-50GX800 which i have to say was very disappointed with watching football the motion was just awful guess that was down to the 60htz panel.

That's a comparison I'm very interested in, XG9005 vs GX800. Can you please let us know did Panasonic compare to Sony in things like sharpness/detail, was it any softer with less detail then Sony, how were blacks, worse then on Sony with local dimming or a match, are colours really the best on Panasonic as people say and how was HDR and Dolby Vision compared to Sony. Was Panasonic better in anything?

Hi skyform sorry setting up the XG9005 later so dont know yet, What i can say is that i spoke to Sony and they confirmed that the the XG9005 is a 10 bit and a 100 Hz panel which i know is good news so not a downgrade on the XF9005

Hi Guys,

Been back into John Lewis to play with a KD49XG9005 again.

On Freeview channel 85 (Hochanda) the TV gives a crap picture and the Text Boxes for the products on sale are all blurry.

We have decided not to buy a new TV yet, we are going to stick with our very old Panasonic Plasma TV as none of the 4K tvs we have looked at, can show standard definition properly.

If anyone has a 4K TV that will pass the Hochanda test, I would be delighted to hear from you.

Some may say channel 85 is not the way to judge a TV, but my wife is a mad crafting fan, so it is important to us.

Regards,

Paul

Hi I have just purchased the DGXG9005 and the picture is stunning on HD let alone 4k, played a film and again stunning picture quality and that again was only in hd best TV I have ever owned and the motion for sports is great no blur

Hi I have just purchased the DGXG9005 and the picture is stunning on HD let alone 4k, played a film and again stunning picture quality and that again was only in hd best TV I have ever owned and the motion for sports is great no blur

Hi, I bet it's not very good on Freeview channel 85 :)

Hi to be fair does not matter if you own the best tv in the world freeview will always look awful, the channel looks perfect on sky Q

Hi to be fair does not matter if you own the best tv in the world freeview will always look awful, the channel looks perfect on sky Q though on the KDXG9005

Freeview HD channels actually look great. Standard definition channels via any platform are going to look not great. I would argue that the upscaling capability of this TV in question is far superior to the upscaling capability of the Sky Q box.

If the exact same Hochanda standard definition channel which @Pebbleridge has been mentioning does look better via sky than freeview, it will because of differing encoding/compression/bit rate.

The sweeping statement "freeview will always look awful" is just wrong.

@Pebbleridge I'm sure if you tweaked with the TV settings you would be able to get the channel looking semi decent. Just keep in mind that increasing screen size, increasing pixel count (and therefore having to create a lot more pixels via upscaling) and maintaining the same viewing distance, is going to mean that SD channels are NOT going to look as good as your current TV. If you want a newer TV but explicitly want SD channels to look as good as on your current screen then you likely want to buy a TV of a very similar size but one that is 'just' full HD.

Out of interest what picture settings did you try when viewing the channel in store?

Hi just wanted to add had sky Q installed today and when he did the settings on the box the TV XG9005 it is definitely a 10 bit model as settings on sky Q box accepted it. Just wanted to let you know as I know some people thought it was a 8 bit

I bought a Loewe 3.43 last year, that's a premium brand in EU as B&O for US market. Its panel is produced from LG, and I was impressed by its scaler and overal image quality, way more great than 43XF8596 where gonna create a lot of artifacts, like horizontal lines, mostly visible surrounding broadcaster logos. Furthermore the panel wasn't as good as the Loewe one (IPS vs VN), and colours were too saturated or vivid, mostly on reds.

I was able to compare in person the 43XF8596 with the higher series 49XF9005. It offered much more natural in all aspects, i.e. colours were completly washed out in comparison: 44 to 72 of cursor setting to match the same level, that's for give you a rough idea to how bad and oversaturated the XF8596 was. So 49XF9005 brought up more details, better contrast and the scaler was a little bit better, considering the increase panel dimension (>6").

I want just to specify a personal consideration: if the scaler is a good quality one, the overall SD image will be better despite the screen size, because bigger the panel size is, more artefacts quantity are showed. That doesn't mean how those artifacts are displayed in reality, and what's the overall video result, because artefacts have some shape, as square, triangles, or linees, or may be emphasized.

About the colour bit depth, I am sure that 49XG9005 mounts a 8bit+FRC, as stated on DisplaySpecification, and declared by Sony as a 10bit panel, missing to specify it's a virtual 10bit and not a native 10bit one like XF series. What you think guys?

Last edited:
Hi Guys,

Been back into John Lewis to play with a KD49XG9005 again.

On Freeview channel 85 (Hochanda) the TV gives a crap picture and the Text Boxes for the products on sale are all blurry.

We have decided not to buy a new TV yet, we are going to stick with our very old Panasonic Plasma TV as none of the 4K tvs we have looked at, can show standard definition properly.

If anyone has a 4K TV that will pass the Hochanda test, I would be delighted to hear from you.

Some may say channel 85 is not the way to judge a TV, but my wife is a mad crafting fan, so it is important to us.

Regards,

Paul

I checked this channel for you on my XF9005 a while back and it was perfectly watchable although this was through my sky Q box but I have to say this channel has an absolutely awful picture quality. Just get Sky Q and then you can enjoy some quality images and your wife can watch her channel.

Out of interest what picture settings did you try when viewing the channel in store?

I didn't get much opportunity to play with settings, but I was able to change the mode away from Vivid and reduced the Colour and Brightness but it didn't make much improvement.

We are not expecting perfection, because we know Hochanda is a poor quality transmission, but we cannot accept that by buying a 4K, relatively expensive, TV the SD images are worse than we are used to.

Regards,

Paul

Anyway, the source quality of this channel on my XF9005 55" is possibly the worst I've seen in the last few years but on a positive for your wife and you, the product boxes are clearly visible and the XG is as good if not better than the XF.

Hi LCD Seeker,

I'm beginning to realise that Hochanda on Satellite may be better quality than the Freeview signals I have been watching in John Lewis, the Product boxes on Freeview are "visible" but I wouldn't describe them as clear.

Would a Sky HD box be as good as Sky Q? (on SD channels.)

Regards,

Paul

The “Hochanda test” the new television benchmark! Better than dolby vision and hdr10+ combined x5!!!

Will your new tv pass the real test? Please dont try this at home unless you own an oled.... (Or maybe a panasonic plasma)

Disclaimer: the Hochanda test denies any responsability for the huge rate of returned tvs in 2019.

I didn't get much opportunity to play with settings, but I was able to change the mode away from Vivid and reduced the Colour and Brightness but it didn't make much improvement.

We are not expecting perfection, because we know Hochanda is a poor quality transmission, but we cannot accept that by buying a 4K, relatively expensive, TV the SD images are worse than we are used to.

Regards,

Paul

I've literally just banged on channel 85 on my 55XF90 for a few mins, and the quality of the channel was better than what BBC One SD is. All the text was very readable and you could clearly see the products and the people talking and chatting and using the products.

I think you would be more than fine with the 49XG9005.

I definitely wouldn't recommend paying out for a paytv service to maybe get a slightly better picture for one channel.

Also I do think that being able to completely change the advanced picture settings can help improve the image.

Be aware that all decent TVs these days are 4K, and so you're always going to have the issue of having to upscale SD to 4K. Sony have best in class consumer upscaling in their TVs and if you don't think it's up to the job, then you're probably never going to get a new TV!

If you want I can attach images/video of channel 85 on my TV.

Cheers.

Until broadcasters transmit in SD, the scaler quality must to be at the top, without regressing. Infact still nowadays, a lot of sources aren't just in 4K resolution, but still in SD, like online or radioantenna broadcasters.

If SD quality is poor in today TVs, it's due to marketing, to invite customers moving to 4K resolution. That's meaning that brands or online/radio broadcasters obligates people to pay for their servises as MUVI, Infinity, Netflix, Sky Q.

Imo, marketing aside, the scaler quality have to be improved hand in hand, considering also the greater experience in that field.
@Mallett94: some pics would be appreciated

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom