Sony KD49XG9005

Pebbleridge

Hi Guys

TV arrived this morning and I have been playing with it all day, mine's on Android Orio out of the box.

Biggest issue I have with it so far is I can't download any apps from the play store.

I'm sure I must be doing something stupid, but I'm used to Google/Android on my phone so I can't think what I'm doing wrong.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Regards,

Paul

Mickus

Hi Paul.

Yeah, mine arrived today so I'm still finding my feet too.

One thing did on mine was to to into the 'My Apps' section on the apps screen and issued a 'Update all' on my installed apps. Google Play was one of them pending an update so I'm wondering if you need to update first. I have not downloaded any apps myself that being said.

I will play more tomorrow as it's now beer o'clock - and the pub is calling. Good luck!

P.s - first impressions - Loving it so far, and a massive upgrade from my Sony 40W705C. More tinkering required (I'm using Mallet94 XF's settings from his signature as a baseline - cheers mate).

Pebbleridge

Mine won't even do updates, I've made sure auto update is turned on, but I just have a travelling line under apps with "updates pending"
I might have to get Sony involved.
Paul

Mickus

Mine won't even do updates, I've made sure auto update is turned on, but I just have a travelling line under apps with "updates pending"
I might have to get Sony involved.
Paul
Yeah, from the apps screen I saw the same on mine. I then went to the Google Play Store app and on the left hand banner under 'My Apps' I noticed a 'update all' icon which I selected. Then one by one they all updated. Took about 10 mins. I have now managed to sucessfully download and install an app from the store.

I'm trying to figure out if I can now organise my preferred apps into the 'Apps button' section..

Mallett94

@Pebbleridge I've just remembered, the Sky+ HD boxes have an 'Automatic' resolution in the video output settings. You want to use this.

This will mean the the Sky box will output 576i for SD channels and 1080i for HD channels. And this will mean that the TV will be doing all the hard work with the deinterlacing and upscaling.

:)

Mickus

Hi Guys

TV arrived this morning and I have been playing with it all day, mine's on Android Orio out of the box.
Hmm. Just checked. I'm on version 7.0 (Nougart). Automatic update isn't finding any updates either. I have just downloaded the lastest firmware from Sony Support on to an USB drive. Question is, do I update or not..

Pebbleridge

Hi Paul.

Yeah, mine arrived today so I'm still finding my feet too.

One thing did on mine was to to into the 'My Apps' section on the apps screen and issued a 'Update all' on my installed apps. Google Play was one of them pending an update so I'm wondering if you need to update first. I have not downloaded any apps myself that being said.

I will play more tomorrow as it's now beer o'clock - and the pub is calling. Good luck!

P.s - first impressions - Loving it so far, and a massive upgrade from my Sony 40W705C. More tinkering required (I'm using Mallet94 XF's settings from his signature as a baseline - cheers mate).
Hi Mickus,

I left mine overnight (with auto updates on) and it's sorted itself out now, I can download apps (just downloaded VLC coz I didn't rate the "built in" Video app).

I'm very pleased with the picture quality, I'm also starting with Mallet94's settings and it's much better than when it came out of the box.

I'm also pleased to report it passed the "Hochanda" test.

Paul

Pebbleridge

Hmm. Just checked. I'm on version 7.0 (Nougart). Automatic update isn't finding any updates either. I have just downloaded the lastest firmware from Sony Support on to an USB drive. Question is, do I update or not..
I've only ever seen Android 8, so I can't tell you which is best to have, but I'm struggling to get the Home screen anything like I want it to be. (see next post)
Paul

Pebbleridge

Hi Guys,

Looked "almost" everywhere in the settings and I can't get my Home screen to my liking, can anyone help.

1) The Google recommendations are a complete waste of space so I want to get rid of them, I've turned them off in settings, but it still shows an unhappy cloud telling me to turn it back on again.

2) The Featured Apps section is heavily over populated, but I can't find a way to get rid of the useless ones, Kids stuff and Orchestral music need to go.

3) My Apps, needs to be the top line, so I can get to what I really want.

Also I wondered if anyone had a code for my One For All remote, it would be handy to have the basics on it when we are watching Sky, or Freesat.

Regards,

Paul

Pebbleridge

@Pebbleridge I've just remembered, the Sky+ HD boxes have an 'Automatic' resolution in the video output settings. You want to use this.

This will mean the the Sky box will output 576i for SD channels and 1080i for HD channels. And this will mean that the TV will be doing all the hard work with the deinterlacing and upscaling.

:)
Hi,
I'll give that a try and see what difference it makes.
We're running a test to see which gives the best picture from our two boxes (Sky or Freesat) and I'll report back with any findings.
Have you got a Sky Q box? if so do you let it do the upscaling or your Sony.
Paul

Mallett94

Hi,
I'll give that a try and see what difference it makes.
We're running a test to see which gives the best picture from our two boxes (Sky or Freesat) and I'll report back with any findings.
Have you got a Sky Q box? if so do you let it do the upscaling or your Sony.
Paul
I do not have a SkyQ box, however if I did I would have it hardset to 1080i because this is what all HD channels are broadcast on via satellite. If I had skyQ with UHD content, I would still have the box hardset to 1080i, and then when I was viewing some content that was available in UHD I would press the prompt button which appears to change the box to 2160p 10bit to view that content. After viewing this UHD content I would then change it back to 1080i. Note that there is no Automatic/Native option for picture output on SkyQ nor is there an option of enabling different formats like with the Virgin V6 box. I think this is really poor from Sky and I would never pay for Sky whilst this is the case.

The TV (being a top end LED LCD model) will do a far better job of upscaling sub 4k content than either of the SkyQ boxes.

If I did have SkyQ I would not watch any Netflix/iPlayer/YouTube etc content through it. I would just use the built-in Android TV apps.

Cheers.

marmoset

Novice Member
Hi,
Hope it's ok to post here but seriously considering this tv. Is it really the best 50" or below tv out there or would people consider other options?
Thanks

Mickus

Hi,
Hope it's ok to post here but seriously considering this tv. Is it really the best 50" or below tv out there or would people consider other options?
Thanks
My shortlist was this Sony, the Samsung Q70 and the Panasonic GX80. For a sub 55" TV, they should be on your shortlist to weigh-up their respective pro's and con's and bang for your buck. The Richer Sounds £125 discount (Code RSTV125) swayed towards the Sony in the end.

Is it the best? I don't know. Is it better than the TV it replaced? Hell yes. If you want the best of the best, then you will need to look at the 55"+ TV's..

arimk

Novice Member
Hi all,
I am looking to buy a new tv for a new appartement, and it has to be under 50'' (I am still wondering if I want to go 49 or 43, my place is not that big).
I always liked Sony's picture quality so the KD49XG seems the way to go.
I also want a nice soundbar (to use also for sound in the appartement so chromecast needed) and I am thinking to take the sony HT-ZF9.
Something I was wondering if the TV will be able to play Atmos (let's say native TV Netflix app) through the ARC HDMI input to the soundbar or not? As the TV is not listed Atmos compatible.
I hoped not to have to connect another box like a nvidia shield to get the most of it.

Thanks!

marmoset

Novice Member
My shortlist was this Sony, the Samsung Q70 and the Panasonic GX80. For a sub 55" TV, they should be on your shortlist to weigh-up their respective pro's and con's and bang for your buck. The Richer Sounds £125 discount (Code RSTV125) swayed towards the Sony in the end.

Is it the best? I don't know. Is it better than the TV it replaced? Hell yes. If you want the best of the best, then you will need to look at the 55"+ TV's..
Thank you, Mickus. Unfortunately due to where the tv is going, 50" is the absolute maximum size i can squeeze in. With that richers discount, I think it'll have to be the sony :)

Pebbleridge

Hi,
Thanks
Hi Marmoset,
It's taken me over a year to decide on my new TV, checking everything I could find in John Lewis, Currys and Richer Sounds, along with hours of reading online reviews and asking questions on forums (this forum is the best) and I decided on the KD49XG9005BU from Richer Sounds (with an extra £125 off if you buy now.
I've only had it a few days but it is amazing.
Regards,
Paul

Harry1986

Well had this set for just under a week a replacement of xf9005 and unfortunately it's bit of a step back main complaint is the blooming around any Bright objects is definitely alot more noticeable on this model compared the xf9005.. I've tried the same settings I had before and doing a reset no difference. I'm wondering if they've downgraded this panel in away.Maybe less dimming zones.

hawkthefury

Standard Member
Hi.

Looking at getting this at Richer Sounds.

Is it possible to change the legs to a swivel stand? If so does anyone have any ideas.

Pebbleridge

Hi.

Looking at getting this at Richer Sounds.

Is it possible to change the legs to a swivel stand? If so does anyone have any ideas.
Hi,
I've literately just bought one of these:-

Amazon

It's not even been delivered yet, but as soon as it arrives (and I've set it up) I'll let you know if it's any good.

Regards,

Paul

stormy

Well had this set for just under a week a replacement of xf9005 and unfortunately it's bit of a step back main complaint is the blooming around any Bright objects is definitely alot more noticeable on this model compared the xf9005.. I've tried the same settings I had before and doing a reset no difference. I'm wondering if they've downgraded this panel in away.Maybe less dimming zones.
Yeh blooming is pretty bad on this set, but, mainly with HDR material, I am surprised its much worse than the XF though? Is the peak brightness of the XG higher than the XF? With SDR the picture on the XG9005 is superb but HDR is spoilt by blooming for me, especially in low light conditions. Never been 100% happy with the HDR presentation myself., its less noticeable when its full screen HDR but cinemascope is pretty bad.

Does it really have less dimming zones than the XF?

Palexr

Just got one of these. Will report back my impressions.

A shame that the mfrs are concentrating so much on larger TVs - seems a bit like the "go large" option at a McDs.

hawkthefury

Standard Member
Hi,

Got my Swivel Stand the other day, (from Amazon) It fits a treat (fully height adjustable) looks to be well made, was easy to assemble/install.

It looks top notch when fitted and swivels with a little finger, I like it a lot.

Regards.

Paul
Thanks for letting me know. Got the tv last week, but lucky my stand is a perfect fit. Will save the link in case thanks change.

Palexr

OK, got mine about an hour ago and set it up. Apps updated etc...

Just wondering with the Apps, Netflix, Prime, etc, are they 4k HDR? Is it better to play them through the TV, a Roku Stick+, Virgin V6 box, the in-built Chromecast or a discrete Chromecast Ultra?

Also, has anyone connected a USB HDD (which one?)? How well does it work?

Pebbleridge

OK, got mine about an hour ago and set it up. Apps updated etc...

Just wondering with the Apps, Netflix, Prime, etc, are they 4k HDR? Is it better to play them through the TV, a Roku Stick+, Virgin V6 box, the in-built Chromecast or a discrete Chromecast Ultra?

Also, has anyone connected a USB HDD (which one?)? How well does it work?
Sorry, can't help with your questions, but will be watching to see what the answers are.

You didn't mention upgrading to Oreo, this is no longer available "Over the air" but is definately worth doing, it gives you much more control over your home page.

Enjoy your TV, we LOVE ours.

Regards,

Paul