Sony KD49XG9005

LCDseeker

Hi all,

Been a while since I have been here ;-)
So, December 2016 I've bought a Sony 49X8309C, and up to a week ago it worked. But now..off course a few months out of warranty, the main board died. Sony "offers” to fix this for €350,- and wants to give 3 months warranty for that. Since I've bought the set for €699,- that just doesn't feel right.

So, looking for a new set. At first I thought "never Sony again”, but hey....been using that brand for 30 years now (I'm 40) and when I compare it is always the nicest most honest image.

About the 49xg9005 what do you think... Will I be happy with it and will it feel like a step up? The thing that really sucked on the 49x8309c where the blacks and specially when there where subtitles (which is 90% of the time for me) present. At those moments the whole screen seemto get a grey filter over it. Will I still have this issue with the 49xg9005?

And will this set be the best "bang for the buck"? Or will a Q70 or the LG 49MS9000 be a better choice?

Please advise... I would like to buy something
tomorrow, for starters because I can't use my Sonos set with the temporary TV the shop gave me ;-)
In my opinion the XF9005 is better than your two other choices so can only see the XG9005 being better.

cremerhm

Novice Member
Tx for the reply! And will it be a upgrade compared to my old defect set? How about “the blacks”.

For what I’m reading so far it seems good ... but the people who own one here in this forum can tell me first hand ;-)

Last edited:

plata0190

Standard Member
In my opinion the old Plasma TVs were a lot better with SD broadcasts in my experience, more so than modern LEDs which are basically at home with Full HD or UHD.

My guess is that it looks terrible because of the upscaling and you will probably find the XG does exactly the same. The Plamsa will have been smoothing it imo.

As was suggested try and get to view the TV in the store with the content you want.

Cheers.
As you mentioned in a previous post you found some artefacts, similar to JPG low quality effect, in SD broadcasts, but it is better or worst compared with 49XE and other 49" same price-range LCDs?

Than heard that feet are not swappable reducing them lenght, as the XF was capable, but looking at the feet image on the manual, they seems to be swappable. My table is 95cm widht, can you try to swap feet on your set pelase? Thx

LCDseeker

Tx for the reply! And will it be a upgrade compared to my old defect set? How about “the blacks”.

For what I’m reading so far it seems good ... but the people who own one here in this forum can tell me first hand ;-)
Please be aware that I have a 55" XF9005. But from reading and watching all reviews (and there don't seem to be many) the XG9005 is on a par with the XF9005, if not maybe slightly better. It should definitely be quite a significant improvement over your old set. The blacks are very nice. There is some blooming but it's few and far between. If you want total black control then you need to look at OLED, maybe a C8 if there are any left for sale.

cremerhm

Novice Member
Thx @LCDseeker ! I know that a OLED would be the best solution but they are to big .. both in price as in physical dimensions ;-)

The max. that is accepted by the boss is 49" (I must admit, there is only 2 mtr between us and the TV and also I think 49" is enough)

Last edited:

LCDseeker

Thx @LCDseeker ! I know that a OLED would be the best solution but they are to big .. both in price as in physical dimensions ;-)

The max. that is accepted by the boss is 49" (I must admit, there is only 2 mtr between us and the TV and also I think 49" is enough)
Yes, it's the limitation of OLED. I'm only about 2 metres from mine though and sometimes wish I'd gone for the 65"! lol I'd be definitely pushing the boss for the 55".

cremerhm

Novice Member
@LCDseeker that's a mission impossible ... < 49" was her request. Good thing that I could show that the 49XG9005 is tested as 1 of the best LED TV's ;-)

And I'm already stretching the budget, since the broken TV is just 2 years and 8 months old :-(

LCDseeker

@LCDseeker that's a mission impossible ... < 49" was her request. Good thing that I could show that the 49XG9005 is tested as 1 of the best LED TV's ;-)

And I'm already stretching the budget, since the broken TV is just 2 years and 8 months old :-(
True, but you can buy a 55" XF9005 for less than the 49" XG. Maybe just say it was an ordering mistake, once it's in and unboxed you can't send it back! lol

cremerhm

Novice Member
@LCDseeker hahhaha, wel the 55" is cheaper in default price at the moment but I can get the 49" for € 999,- at the moment including 5yr full warranty (making the 55" € 100,- more expensive and no 5yr warranty because that shop doesn't sell it).

Waiting for some other offers until 17:00 and then I will decide.
The 5 year warranty sounds very nice to me giving the defect TV at this moment.

LCDseeker

@LCDseeker hahhaha, wel the 55" is cheaper in default price at the moment but I can get the 49" for € 999,- at the moment including 5yr full warranty (making the 55" € 100,- more expensive and no 5yr warranty because that shop doesn't sell it).

Waiting for some other offers until 17:00 and then I will decide.
The 5 year warranty sounds very nice to me giving the defect TV at this moment.
I'm guessing you aren't in the UK with you quoted Euros. But over here Currys have the XF9005 at £899 and Richer Sounds will price match plus register as a VIP and you get a 6 year warranty.

You must obey the boss though, and a 5 year warranty is a must these days so always get a television with that. I'm sure you'll enjoy your XG!

cremerhm

Novice Member
@LCDseeker Happy wife happy life ;-)
I'm in The Netherlands, so that's why I mention the €.
Only downside that the shop with the 5yr warranty has: 2-3 days delivery time .. I've promised my son to watch Iron Man 2 Wednesday 😬

LCDseeker

@LCDseeker Happy wife happy life ;-)
I'm in The Netherlands, so that's why I mention the €.
Only downside that the shop with the 5yr warranty has: 2-3 days delivery time .. I've promised my son to watch Iron Man 2 Wednesday 😬
Ah that's a shame. Maybe it will arrive in time. Fingers crossed!

plata0190

Standard Member
As you mentioned in a previous post you found some artefacts, similar to JPG low quality effect, in SD broadcasts, but it is better or worst compared with 49XE and other 49" same price-range LCDs?

Than heard that feet are not swappable reducing them lenght, as the XF was capable, but looking at the feet image on the manual, they seems to be swappable. My table is 95cm widht, can you try to swap feet on your set pelase? Thx
Up, anybody knows?

cremerhm

Novice Member
Received the TV yesterday (1 day later than expected) and promised my 6yr old son to watch Iron Man 2. Decided to go for Avengers, because he wanted to see all his super hero's ;-)

Really impressed by this TV set so far. There is (very little compared to my 49X8309C) some blooming when there is no image (so during zapping for example) but this is not visible at all when there is an image, even when it's black. Really love the local dimming, this makes a massive difference with subtitles!!

Does anyone here have optimal settings for their set?

Harry1986

Received the TV yesterday (1 day later than expected) and promised my 6yr old son to watch Iron Man 2. Decided to go for Avengers, because he wanted to see all his super hero's ;-)

Really impressed by this TV set so far. There is (very little compared to my 49X8309C) some blooming when there is no image (so during zapping for example) but this is not visible at all when there is an image, even when it's black. Really love the local dimming, this makes a massive difference with subtitles!!

Hi glad you like it! I've been offered this for my faulty xf9005 how's the sound on it Please? Also check the xf9005 settings in the forum or google as should be similar

Mallett94

Hopefully these should translate across almost identically to your new TV => Sony KD XF9005 Owners and Discussion Thread

Also a link explaining motionflow to help you achieve our desired image => Sony Motionflow & Film mode Settings Explained (finally!)

Cheers.

plata0190

Standard Member

Cremerhm and Effect0sSander0s can confirm if feet are installable in swapped position as it was on XF series?

Last edited:

cremerhm

Novice Member
In my opinion the XF9005 is better than your two other choices so can only see the XG9005 being better.
Hopefully these should translate across almost identically to your new TV => Sony KD XF9005 Owners and Discussion Thread

Also a link explaining motionflow to help you achieve our desired image => Sony Motionflow & Film mode Settings Explained (finally!)

Cheers.
TX! I will Take a look at them.and try all settings. My family knows how it works, the first week they will see more of the settings menu than actually watch TV ;-)

Hi glad you like it! I've been offered this for my faulty xf9005 how's the sound on it Please? Also check the xf9005 settings in the forum or google as should be similar
The sound, we'll... I've got a full Sonos set connected so that's what I am used to. I just listened without those speakers and I think they are decent for such a thin TV.

I have bought the Sony KD49-XG9005 last week (I'm living in the Netherlands) and used the following video for simple calibration:
TX Sander! Also an Dutchie here ;)

Cremerhm and Effect0sSander0s can confirm if feet are installable in swapped position as it was on XF series?
I have not tried, but I THINK you can swap them.

Harry1986

TX! I will Take a look at them.and try all settings. My family knows how it works, the first week they will see more of the settings menu than actually watch TV ;-)

The sound, we'll... I've got a full Sonos set connected so that's what I am used to. I just listened without those speakers and I think they are decent for such a thin TV.

TX Sander! Also an Dutchie here ;)

I have not tried, but I THINK you can swap them.
Thanks for the reply. What sonos do you have? I'm wondering if the sonos beam would fit underneath.

cremerhm

Novice Member
Nice I mite have to look into that too guess it would need an external sub. Well enjoy your new TV I should have mine soon.
All Sonos products will benefit from.the Sub. But I've used the Playbar the first 4 year without a Sub and it works perfect. If you don't have any Sonos products at the moment and there is enough funds for it, I would start with Playbar + 2x one

Pebbleridge

Hi Guys,
Not got my KD49XG9005 yet (waiting for Black Friday) but would be interested in your ideas for getting stuff onto a portable USB hard drive (to watch on the TV).

Is it possible to get a USB Drive with a network connection, so I could download (from youtube etc) to my Network Drive and "wiz it" across my network to the USB Drive which is plugged into the Sony.

I realise I wouldn't have to do this if I streamed it directly from my Network Drive, but I don't think there is a way of deleting when I have watched something.

Or is there a better way?

Regards,

Paul

F35lightning

Standard Member
Hi guys just purchased the sony XG9005 very happy with my choice in the budget i had, i did have to return the panasonic TX-50GX800 which i have to say was very disappointed with watching football the motion was just awful guess that was down to the 60htz panel.

skyform

Hi guys just purchased the sony XG9005 very happy with my choice in the budget i had, i did have to return the panasonic TX-50GX800 which i have to say was very disappointed with watching football the motion was just awful guess that was down to the 60htz panel.
That's a comparison I'm very interested in, XG9005 vs GX800. Can you please let us know did Panasonic compare to Sony in things like sharpness/detail, was it any softer with less detail then Sony, how were blacks, worse then on Sony with local dimming or a match, are colours really the best on Panasonic as people say and how was HDR and Dolby Vision compared to Sony. Was Panasonic better in anything?

F35lightning

Standard Member
Hi skyform sorry setting up the XG9005 later so dont know yet, What i can say is that i spoke to Sony and they confirmed that the the XG9005 is a 10 bit and a 100 Hz panel which i know is good news so not a downgrade on the XF9005