Sony KD49XG9005

It will preform a lot better than your current Samsung. Cinema bars are not jet black ,but a lot better than many I have seen. Some blooming in areas of the screen , not really obvious in normal viewing. Its down to the dreaded panel lottery I suppose. The viewing angle is very narrow. If you cant go to a 55 inch qled samsung, this sony the best option I could find in this 49"screen size.

Should I expect HDR blooming like in Sony XG95 model? I have uploaded screenshots taken from AVForum review of XG95. Can you, please, confirm this is the case too with XG9005?

Attachments

• blooming.jpg
    blooming.jpg
    182.6 KB · Views: 665
  • blooming-2.jpg
    blooming-2.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 723
  • blooming-3.jpg
    blooming-3.jpg
    203.8 KB · Views: 653
My current 4k bluray player does not support dolby vision, so have no means of checking it. Normal 1080p discs certainly dont look anything as bad as your pics. I have read else where that certain dolby vision material was the cause of bad blooming on the sony.

Last edited:
Can someone please tell me what the dimensions are of the two legs on the stand in the rear of the KD49XG9005 -- the distance between them, the distance from each leg to the end of the screen and the distance from each leg to the back of the screen?

Many thanks.

Should I expect HDR blooming like in Sony XG95 model? I have uploaded screenshots taken from AVForum review of XG95. Can you, please, confirm this is the case too with XG9005?

Where are these pictures from?

Anyone who buys this tv must be aware that the cinema bars are always going to be dark grey, never black.

Review by AVforum of XG95...Alien(1979, Bluray HDR) and Pan(2015, Bluray HDR) I think (jump to 18 min of the review)...As far I know these are HDR, not Dolby Vision.

Yup, my XG9005 blooms like that with HDR content, its fine in SDR. More noticeable in low light, don't notice it during the day. Interesting in those picture the Sony seems brighter, you can lower the backlight to mitigate the blooming a bit but, its never great. Its the biggest flaw of the TV for me by far. Full screen HDR content is great and so is gaming as its full screen also.

The XG really doesn't like cinema bars with HDR content in low light, interestingly also some content is worse than others. Subjectively I think DV is worse.

Last edited:
Yup, my XG9005 blooms like that with HDR content, its fine in SDR. More noticeable in low light, don't notice it during the day. Interesting in those picture the Sony seems brighter, you can lower the backlight to mitigate the blooming a bit but, its never great. Its the biggest flaw of the TV for me by far. Full screen HDR content is great and so is gaming as its full screen also.

The XG really doesn't like cinema bars with HDR content in low light, interestingly also some content is worse than others. Subjectively I think DV is worse.

Thank you. This really helps...Black bars are a must for me so that leaves me with 49" Q70R or a new wall bracket and 55" Q80R

Thank you. This really helps...Black bars are a must for me so that leaves me with 49" Q70R or a new wall bracket and 55" Q80R
If black bars are a must then you have to get an OLED. There’s no FALD screen that can do completely black bars with HDR, it’s the limitation of the technology. It’d have to have thousands of local dimming zones to perform this task.
I have the XF9005 and it’s the same. I was looking at a second FALD screen in a different room and trialed the Q70R, XG95 and Q80R and they all exhibited the same issue. It’s not a problem for me but if it is for you, then these screens are not the ones.

You'll get very similar issue with the Samsung's. Only the Q90 will give you that near OLED quality black. Personally I'd get an Lg C8 and risk burn in by still probably worth it if blacks are your thing. I have the XF and most viewing is very good but sometimes you do see the black bars light up a bit. I'm considering waiting for the C9 to come down and getting that this time next year.

Hi All,

New to AV here...
I'm looking at the xg9005. It looked so much better than the q70 samsung in store.

My only concern is the input lag on 1080p 60hz for ps4 (I dont have a ps4 pro). This was somewhere around 40ms for the xf9005. I know they've fixed this for the new xg9505 and also the xg800 models by the looks of it but theres no.info anywhere online about whether this improvement carried over to the 49inch xg9005 too.

Is.anybody able to confirm or provide any link for this? It's literally the only thing stopping me from buying this TV...

Thank you

Last edited:
Hi All,

New to AV here...
I'm looking at the xg9005. It looked so much better than the q70 samsung in store.

My only concern is the input lag on 1080p 60hz for ps4 (I dont have a ps4 pro). This was somewhere around 40ms for the xf9005. I know they've fixed this for the new xg9505 and also the xg800 models by the looks of it but theres no.info anywhere online about whether this improvement carried over to the 49inch xg9005 too.

Is.anybody able to confirm or provide any link for this? It's literally the only thing stopping me from buying this TV...

Thank you

I have a PS4 Pro but with 1080p only games I have never noticed any perceptible input lag with my XG9005, it feels no different to my 2017 XE9005. (which I think is mid 30s). I don't game competitively though.

Not seen any reviews of the XG9005. They all focus on the XG95.

Cheers,

I have a PS4 Pro but with 1080p only games I have never noticed any perceptible input lag with my XG9005, it feels no different to my 2017 XE9005. (which I think is mid 30s). I don't game competitively though.

Not seen any reviews of the XG9005. They all focus on the XG95.

Cheers,

Hi, thanks for the response.
Because I have a regular ps4, rather than the pro, I'll be subject to the 1080p 60hz input lag even though the tv is 4k.
I've sent a technical query to sony engineer team to ask if the 49inch has benefitted from the same improvements as the bigger xg models...hopefully they'll be able to confirm. (They were very reluctant on the phone to even discuss figures...)

Because I have a regular ps4, rather than the pro, I'll be subject to the 1080p 60hz input lag even though the tv is 4k.
I've sent a technical query to sony engineer team to ask if the 49inch has benefitted from the same improvements as the bigger xg models...hopefully they'll be able to confirm. (They were very reluctant on the phone to even discuss figures...)
It is 40ms for the XG90 (for 1080p 60Hz), so as with a lot of other things still the same as the XF90. The input lag on Sony models is strongly related to the image processor & SoC combo, in this case still the X1 Extreme instead of Ultimate on the XG95.
I already linked to a review specifically of this 49XG9005 in this thread (albeit a non-English one)

It is 40ms for the XG90 (for 1080p 60Hz), so as with a lot of other things still the same as the XF90. The input lag on Sony models is strongly related to the image processor & SoC combo, in this case still the X1 Extreme instead of Ultimate on the XG95.
I already linked to a review specifically of this 49XG9005 in this thread (albeit a non-English one)

Thank you so much! You've saved me a potential headache there...

My lad plays alot of PS4 and also the Nintendo Switch and never has any issues.

40ms really isn't that bad of a number indeed, most people wouldn't even notice if they didn't know the number. Said review happened to mention 50ms as a threshold at which it starts to become somewhat of an issue for the average gamer (in real numbers: 0.04 seconds. If you look at the reaction times in the 100m sprint, people who are trained to react for just that moment, 0,04s is hardly uncommon
People have been gaming just fine on LCD's with much higher input lag in the pre-Bodnar days without ever knowing it. But of course the type of game can make a difference for he usefulness/necessity of a low input lag number (when in doubt, get a monitor :p. But sub 20 is already a good number. If you look at the 100m sprint, the reaction times are generally between 10-15ms, can you really keep that up an entire game?)

Btw: the XG85 is on the new SoC/platform and has a much better input lag number, the XG80 is not and does not (nor is the XG83).

Last edited:
Interestingly from the XF review on rtings it appears 1080p is the worst resolution, it lists the 4K resolutions as mid 20s and that's where I got confused as while lots of PS4 Pro games are 1080p only, the PS4 Pro still upscales to 2160p so the TV is at the higher resolution.

Interestingly the XE was similar in rtings review too, and I used to use a standard PS4 on that and never noticed the difference in input lag between the PS4 or PS4 Pro. The only time lag was noticable on the XE was when audio sync was set to on (to work around the frame repeat issue).

40ms really isn't that bad of a number indeed, most people wouldn't even notice if they didn't know the number. Said review happened to mention 50ms as a threshold at which it starts to become somewhat of an issue for the average gamer (in real numbers: 0.04 seconds. If you look at the reaction times in the 100m sprint, people who are trained to react for just that moment, 0,04s is hardly uncommon
People have been gaming just fine on LCD's with much higher input lag in the pre-Bodnar days without ever knowing it. But of course the type of game can make a difference for he usefulness/necessity of a low input lag number (when in doubt, get a monitor :p. But sub 20 is already a good number. If you look at the 100m sprint, the reaction times are generally between 10-15ms, can you really keep that up an entire game?)

Btw: the XG85 is on the new SoC/platform and has a much better input lag number, the XG80 is not and does not (nor is the XG83).
Respectfully I disagree. There is a noticeable difference (for me at least) between 1080p and 4k. It's more prevalent in shooters and sports games as they're more fast paced. For other games it isn't as impactful.

Then again it depends on the perceptiveness of the gamer. Some might not be "trained" enough to see a difference whilst some will notice it like night and day. Personally I'm leaning towards the latter.

Hi Guys,

I am also looking to buy a Sony KD49XG9005 but my demands are a little more basic than most.

I need to know if the KD49XG9005 can display the product information boxes on Hochanda (Sky 673, Freesat 817, Freeview 85) without any blurriness.

Hochanda is my wife's favourite channel and our elderly Panasonic 37" Plasma shows the Product Information sharp and clear, but every new TV I have tried (including the entire stock at our John Lewis showroom) has blurring and/or strange artefacts around the text.

I really want a larger (and Smart) 4K TV but this is a major sticking point, my wife doesn't want to spend a grand on a TV which is inferior to the one we have.

If anyone out there could tune to Hochanda and report what they see, I would be very grateful.

Looking forward to hearing from you,

Regards,

Paul

Hi Guys,

I am also looking to buy a Sony KD49XG9005 but my demands are a little more basic than most.

I need to know if the KD49XG9005 can display the product information boxes on Hochanda (Sky 673, Freesat 817, Freeview 85) without any blurriness.

Hochanda is my wife's favourite channel and our elderly Panasonic 37" Plasma shows the Product Information sharp and clear, but every new TV I have tried (including the entire stock at our John Lewis showroom) has blurring and/or strange artefacts around the text.

I really want a larger (and Smart) 4K TV but this is a major sticking point, my wife doesn't want to spend a grand on a TV which is inferior to the one we have.

If anyone out there could tune to Hochanda and report what they see, I would be very grateful.

Looking forward to hearing from you,

Regards,

Paul

Im a bit confused as to why you can't view an XG or XF at John Lewis or other retailers, or have you and they displayed the blurred image?

Anyway you've opened my eyes. I didn't realise these channels still exist. I only managed to endure a few seconds of Studiolight box die set for £34.91 at five past midnight. Who is buying this tat!?!

Anyway, the source quality of this channel on my XF9005 55" is possibly the worst I've seen in the last few years but on a positive for your wife and you, the product boxes are clearly visible and the XG is as good if not better than the XF.

I'd say buy yourself an XG or XF and keep your old set just incase, maybe pop it in the spare room for your wife and you can enjoy some quality UHD films on your new set.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom