Sony KD49XG9005

One thing I'm still wondering about is about the TV's apps, Netflix, Prime, etc, are they 4k HDR? Is it better to play them through the TV, a Roku Stick+, Virgin V6 box, the in-built Chromecast or a discrete Chromecast Ultra?

One thing I'm still wondering about is about the TV's apps, Netflix, Prime, etc, are they 4k HDR? Is it better to play them through the TV, a Roku Stick+, Virgin V6 box, the in-built Chromecast or a discrete Chromecast Ultra?

The built in apps are 4K HDR yes.

Netflix HDR will automatically change the picture mode to 'Dolby Vision HDR'. Prime HDR will change the picture mode to the HDR mode.of Whichever picture mode you were already on. E.g. if you were on Cinema Home for a piece of Prime SDR content, when you watch HDR Prime will change the th the Cinema Home HDR mode.

The two differences are that the brightness will be turned to Max (SDR should be lowish, defoo below 20), and X-tended Dynamic Range will be set to High (should be off for SDR).

Hope this helps.

The built in apps are 4K HDR yes.

Netflix HDR will automatically change the picture mode to 'Dolby Vision HDR'. Prime HDR will change the picture mode to the HDR mode.of Whichever picture mode you were already on. E.g. if you were on Cinema Home for a piece of Prime SDR content, when you watch HDR Prime will change the th the Cinema Home HDR mode.

The two differences are that the brightness will be turned to Max (SDR should be lowish, defoo below 20), and X-tended Dynamic Range will be set to High (should be off for SDR).

Hope this helps.
Thanks, that makes sense. I was also kind of wondering about which medium to watch streamed TV on. I'm lucky enough to have a ps4p, xbox1, Roku +, prime 4k TV stick, Nvidia tablet and others. I was just wondering which would be best to watch with on the TV. Or just use the TV apps instead? Does the TV have the dedicated processing grunt?

Thanks, that makes sense. I was also kind of wondering about which medium to watch streamed TV on. I'm lucky enough to have a ps4p, xbox1, Roku +, prime 4k TV stick, Nvidia tablet and others. I was just wondering which would be best to watch with on the TV. Or just use the TV apps instead? Does the TV have the dedicated processing grunt?

I have found no reason to use any other device to watch any streaming services through. The X1 Extreme processor is very good.

Hello!
Anyone here who has seen both the samsung q70(49 inch) and the sony xg9005 and could recommend one of the two?
I can currently buy the sony for much cheaper($800) than the samsung (which is at $970 right now, but it might go cheaper this friday).

Is the sony better, is there any point in waiting and buying the Samsung?
I'm going to use the TV for 60% gaming, 20% youtube 20% netflix roughly.

Can anyone please confirm if the TV Volume levelling/normalisation option works when playing audio via the optical out socket into an amp or does it only apply to the inbuilt speakers? And will the media player on this TV play any video file I can throw at it? (MP4, MKV, etc). Thanks!

So the set is brilliant a clear upgrade over the Samsung the UE48H6400. Blacks are much darker and, above all, motion is clear and judder/artefact free even on the highest settings. Motion has been a particular bugbear of mine.

Not sure what the fuss over Android TV is? Apart from the name "Android" getting some people's hackles all bent out of shape it seems to work fine. Except for one thing, but that might be Sony thing? We get Youview, which is nice, but you can't record from there. To record you have to disable Youview and use Freeview. OK, not a huge loss, except that you then can't access the ITV Hub or All4 apps.... So basically you can record but not watch catch up ITV or Channel 4, or you can watch all on demand apps but not record.

Is that an Android TV thing, or a Sony not wanting to pay some kind of license fee in the UK?

So the set is brilliant a clear upgrade over the Samsung the UE48H6400. Blacks are much darker and, above all, motion is clear and judder/artefact free even on the highest settings. Motion has been a particular bugbear of mine.

I'm thinking of getting the 55" version to replace my 2014 Samsung HU7500 which has always had motion issues where I have to constantly switch between Clear (soaps and sport) and Custom +10 +10 (films and Countryfile). Is there a single motion setting on this Sony I can leave it set on to get smooth motion whatever the source? I don't mind the soap opera effect but I hate judder.

I'm thinking of getting the 55" version to replace my 2014 Samsung HU7500 which has always had motion issues where I have to constantly switch between Clear (soaps and sport) and Custom +10 +10 (films and Countryfile). Is there a single motion setting on this Sony I can leave it set on to get smooth motion whatever the source? I don't mind the soap opera effect but I hate judder.
you can set the motion settings per source (HDMI1, HDMI2, TV apps, TV, etc...) for this TV. So, whilst it isn't an overall setting, you can set it foe each source and leave it at that.

Check out Mallet94's settings here for the XF, they basically apply. It looks complicated but each of those settings apply to a different source, you don't have to constantly reset depending on what you are watching.

That's my understanding at least.

Dolby Atmos.

I'm getting a Sony Atmos capable soundbar to go with this set and am wondering how people have hooked theirs up (if they have one)? Can the TV pass Atmos to a soundbar via the ARC connection as DD+Atmos? Or do I need to plug any Atmos sources directly in to the soundbar?

Thanks Palexr. I just took the plunge and ordered the 55" model for £999 from John Lewis and got them to throw in for free the £329 Sony Soundbar Crampton & Moore are doing :)

Nice one! I'm sure you will be happy with the TV, chuffed with mine.

I just had delivered the 55" version of this set and I love the picture quality! So much better than my 2014 Sony flagship 4k TV. I have a few questions that maybe owners can answer for me as I've not been able to figure it out.

1. The aspect ratio choices are zoom, full, and normal. Normal makes a 16:9 picture 4:3 and Full looks like 16:9. Is this 16:9 picture zoomed in slightly as I wish to have a true pixel 16:9 picture and not an overscanned one.

2. Is "brightness" actually the backlight level and "black level" actually means brightness in the traditional sense?

3. After making picture adjustments is there a one-button-push way to clear the screen or do I have to press the 'Back' button everal times?

4. I assume this TV has a 10-bit panel but my SkyQ box identifies it as only an 8-bit panel. I have the SkyQ box connected to HDMI 2 - is this right and, if so, do I have to enable anything on the TV for SkyQ to see it as a 10-bit screen?

Thanks!

I just had delivered the 55" version of this set and I love the picture quality! So much better than my 2014 Sony flagship 4k TV. I have a few questions that maybe owners can answer for me as I've not been able to figure it out.

1. The aspect ratio choices are zoom, full, and normal. Normal makes a 16:9 picture 4:3 and Full looks like 16:9. Is this 16:9 picture zoomed in slightly as I wish to have a true pixel 16:9 picture and not an overscanned one.

2. Is "brightness" actually the backlight level and "black level" actually means brightness in the traditional sense?

3. After making picture adjustments is there a one-button-push way to clear the screen or do I have to press the 'Back' button everal times?

4. I assume this TV has a 10-bit panel but my SkyQ box identifies it as only an 8-bit panel. I have the SkyQ box connected to HDMI 2 - is this right and, if so, do I have to enable anything on the TV for SkyQ to see it as a 10-bit screen?

Thanks!

Do you mean you have gotten the 55XG9505? I think there is a dedicated thread for the XG9505 model which is actually different to the 49XG9005 :)

1. You want to set it to full but then adjust the 4:3 specific settings so that 4:3 content is show in the correct aspect ratio. Normal will stretch everything to 16:9 and also overscan will be on. To avoid overscan you need to set one of the settings to Full Pixel or +1, something like that.

2. Pretty much yeah.

3. No one-button-push I'm afraid, at least not that I know of anyway.

4. No content on SkyQ is 10 bit. 10bit if for HDR only and the SkyQ box is not HDR enabled. Save hdmi 2 for a true 4k HDR 50/60fps device. Use HDMI 1 for Sky Q and set the output to 2160p 8bit when viewing UHD content. Otherwise for normal TV channels set it to 1080p (the 55 + version of the XG9505/Ultimate processor have a motion issue with interlaced source content). This will allow the TV to do the upscaling which results in a better image.

Hope this helps :)

Last edited:
Thank you. I managed to find the Full Pixel setting so I'm now a happy camper :)

Last edited:
Thank you. I couldn't find a thread for my particular TV but I'll have another look. I managed to find the Full Pixel setting so I'm now a happer camper :)
No problem. I think that actually the other thread we are speaking on, the review thread, is basically acting as the owners thread, because I don't think there are that many owners of the TV unfortunately!

Yeah I hate overscan. Still find it hard to believe that it comes on as the default for all tvs still.

Hi Guys,
Loving my new 49XG9005 but wondered if anyone can help with a small network issue I have.
I have hardwired the Sony to the rest of my network, which includes my "WD My Cloud" NAS drive.
I have some 4K content on the NAS drive and very occasionally playback stops for a few seconds (buffering) then carries on.
Has anyone else had this issue?
It could be the drive, the cables or the network hardware but I'm not sure where to start with trouble shooting.
Any assistance would be appreciated.
Regards,
Paul

So mine arrived from John Lewis yesterday :)

Hoping people can help with the following.

1. Can any type of USB stick be used to record on to?
2. As posted above by Palexr it seems you can only watch TV using YouView, so cant pause live tv etc?

3. I have a TV Trolley stand using a Vesa fitting, I used 4 x m6 12mm. I didnt use spacers so it sits completed flush to fittings at the back. There are no instructions on Vesa fitings, so are the spacers necessary? I only ask as my prevous Samsung Tv came with fittings of 4 screws, 4 washers and two spacers, this meant the tv sat at an upward angle of about 10 degrees. For this Sony tv I had to source the correct fittings from Amazon, but all I recieved was 4 screws and 4 washers. Are spacers just a personal choice, rather than a necessity? To be clear Im calling then spacers, not sure if thats correct jargon, black cylinders with hollow centre for screws to pass through.

4. Im having the much mentioned switching off issue, randomly turns itself off for no reason. Have checked Eco and timers settings are off, not sure what else there is to try, factory reset seems pointless when its a few hours old.

Oh and I tried to watch recent episodes od Dispatches last night on the All4 app, but all I got was the 4 white squares change to yellow again and again, no error messages it just reset to the all4 logo. Could someone tell me if they can watch these Dispatches episodes? The Amazon one for example?

So mine arrived from John Lewis yesterday :)

Hoping people can help with the following.

1. Can any type of USB stick be used to record on to?
2. As posted above by Palexr it seems you can only watch TV using YouView, so cant pause live tv etc?

3. I have a TV Trolley stand using a Vesa fitting, I used 4 x m6 12mm. I didnt use spacers so it sits completed flush to fittings at the back. There are no instructions on Vesa fitings, so are the spacers necessary? I only ask as my prevous Samsung Tv came with fittings of 4 screws, 4 washers and two spacers, this meant the tv sat at an upward angle of about 10 degrees. For this Sony tv I had to source the correct fittings from Amazon, but all I recieved was 4 screws and 4 washers. Are spacers just a personal choice, rather than a necessity? To be clear Im calling then spacers, not sure if thats correct jargon, black cylinders with hollow centre for screws to pass through.

4. Im having the much mentioned switching off issue, randomly turns itself off for no reason. Have checked Eco and timers settings are off, not sure what else there is to try, factory reset seems pointless when its a few hours old.
1 I think so

BUT

2 None will work if you user Youview to watch TV.

I didn't mean to say you could only watch TV using Youview, rather that if you did you couldn't use three recording feature. If you wish to record you need to disable Youview and use the Freeview functionality.

In the settings under Display.

EDIT the correct path is : Settings>Channel Setup>Youview, not Settings>Display>Youview

Last edited:
Well I have just purchased this TV, I was considering OLED, 9505 and numerous others, but a more wife friendly size and more wallet friendly price pushed my decision. Richer Sounds matched Crampton and Moores ebay price, I had to buy from richer sounds as I had a credit for a beyond economical repair Samsung

Currently have the set on home cinema mode as I didn't have time last night to change any settings.

Also it won't auto update to android 8

Cheers Palexr, how do I disable it? :)
Hi, sorry for the slightly curt reply there, I was on foot.

EDIT the correct path is : Settings>Channel Setup>Youview, not Settings>Display>Youview
Under Settings>Channel Setup>Youview is where the option to disable it is. However, if you disable it you will also disable the ITV Hub and All4 apps which is a bit annoying. The only way to then access them is to use an external source - Roku, Sky, Virgin etc... Sort of stuck between a slightly annoying place (no Youview recording) and a somewhat frustrating one (no ITV or Ch4 app).

Does any one know if there is a way to sideload apps on to Android TV?

EDIT - answering my own question

Side loading apps on to android TV - haven't tried it mind and you need to be 100% of the provenance of the apps.
  1. Go to Settings > Security & Restrictions
  2. Toggle the “Unknown Sources” setting to on
  3. Install ES File Explorer from the Play Store
  4. Use ES File Explorer to sideload APK files

Last edited:
Hi, sorry for the slightly curt reply there, I was on foot.

Under Settings>Display>Youview is where the option to disable it is. However, if you disable it you will also disable the ITV Hub and All4 apps which is a bit annoying. The only way to then access them is to use an external source - Roku, Sky, Virgin etc... Sort of stuck between a slightly annoying place (no Youview recording) and a somewhat frustrating one (no ITV or Ch4 app).

Does any one know if there is a way to sideload apps on to Android TV?

EDIT - answering my own question

Side loading apps on to android TV - haven't tried it mind and you need to be 100% of the provenance of the apps.
  1. Go to Settings > Security & Restrictions
  2. Toggle the “Unknown Sources” setting to on
  3. Install ES File Explorer from the Play Store
  4. Use ES File Explorer to sideload APK files

You can also download the catch-up apps onto a smartphone or tablet, or go to the catch up website using Google chrome on a computer, and then cast to the TVs built in Chromecast.

The only downside to this is UK TV content is 25fps (except for UHD sport which is 50fps), and the built in Chromecast is locked to a 60hz refresh rate. This means that you will suffer from a slight regular stutter due to the FPS to refresh rate mismatch. But it is a potential viable solution if you aren't bothered by something like that.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom