Sony KD49XG9005

henry1983

Standard Member
Morning chaps. Receiving my new KD49XG9005 tomorrow morning. Will post some pictures and do an amateur review if anyone is interested

desinho

A pic of the HDMI connections would be useful, particularly the ARC one. 99.9% chance it will not say eARC like it does on the XG95 ...
And installing the AIDA64 app for some more detailed info :smashin:

henry1983

Standard Member
Set the tv up last night. Will download benchmark app and post pictures later. Disappointed that it comes with the black, cheap remote. Not the new remote the kd55 comes with.

desinho

Disappointing but at the same time already spec'd in the 2019 lineup chart [regarding the remotes].
The new premium one (RMF-TX600E) costs ~€125 I've read.The cheaper RMF-TX500E that comes with the XG85 will probably not be all that much cheaper. But I see it's ~€80 ex-VAT (or £ 57.42 Sony REMOTE COMMANDER (RMF-TX500, 149355411 - EET Europarts UK ; Sony REMOTE COMMANDER (RMF-TX600E), 149354811 - EET Europarts UK)
The TX300E costs roughly the same as the new 500 so indeed pretty lazy to not include it (the AG8 OLED will also come with an old remote).

henry1983

Standard Member
Right I’m back. Sorry. Been a bit hectic the last few weeks. I have this tv. This tv is fantastic. I’ve come from Panasonic edge lit led tv. The 42et5 3D set and over the moon with the Sony. Colours and motion are fantastic.

Lord Entropy

Right I’m back. Sorry. Been a bit hectic the last few weeks. I have this tv. This tv is fantastic. I’ve come from Panasonic edge lit led tv. The 42et5 3D set and over the moon with the Sony. Colours and motion are fantastic.
Did you have to do much configuration of the set out of the box? My current Sony 1080p set had load of changes to do to the configuration of it to “calibrate” it. Wondering nearly 6 years later whether sets still need some work to get the best picture?

henry1983

Standard Member
To be honest set up was a breeze. Calibration was much easier than my previous Panasonic. I highly recommend this tv.

desinho

Aida 64 installed what do you want to know
No eARC highly likely means it is still on the old bravia Android platform like the XF90. Only sets with the new processor have eARC. For settings you could probably use the same as the XF90 rather than following XG95 ...
For AIDA just some screenshots of System (blur your serial number just in case), CPU, Display and Android (or maybe just tell which ANdroid version is installed) :smashin:

proxy.duckduckgo.com.png

desinho

Yup, we have a world premiere here I think :D. Proof that a 2019 model still uses the old SoC (MT5891 = MT5596) and Android platform: ATV3 is the same as the XF90, the new processor (MT5893 = MT5598) is on a 'UR2' according to the AIDA data.
Also still on Android 7 rather than 8 so you could probably expect an update anytime soon and improved performance. Though you might want to read about any possible issues before upgrading.

Last edited:

desinho

Just explain that in a slightly simpler way? So the 2019 is the same as 2018?
Other than the design pretty much yes. But the AIDA specs are mostly for the Android platform that runs the software.
Before this year all the models with Android would get upgraded to a new platform so there was hope initially that the XG90 would also be getting the new processor and four full bandwidth HDMI ports like the XG95. But it became clear quite soon that only the AG9, ZG9, XG95 and XG85 have received the updated platform (UR2). And with these screenshots it has been confirmed that the other models are still on the previous (ATV3).

This is how it looks on the XG95

MT5891 (or MT5596) is the name of the Mediatek processor and is a quadcore Cortex A53 CPU with Mali T860 as GPU. Something similar can be found in a Nokia 3 Android phone for example but that has a slightly weaker GPU (T720) (having made use of that phone some while I really don't see how Android TV can run so sluggish on tv's other than bad programming).
The new one is a quadcore with Cortex A73 @ 1500Mhz and Mali G71 GPU which according to Sony should/could improve performance by (already echoed in pretty much all reviews bar some bugs)

vlcsnap-2019-04-25-10h20m56s863.png

Last edited:

LCDseeker

Other than the design pretty much yes. But the AIDA specs are mostly for the Android platform that runs the software.
Before this year all the models with Android would get upgraded to a new platform so there was hope initially that the XG90 would also be getting the new processor and four full bandwidth HDMI ports like the XG95. But it became clear quite soon that only the AG9, ZG9, XG95 and XG85 have received the updated platform (UR2). And with these screenshots it has been confirmed that the other models are still on the previous (ATV3).

This is how it looks on the XG95

MT5891 (or MT5596) is the name of the Mediatek processor and is a quadcore Cortex A53 CPU with Mali T860 as GPU. Something similar can be found in a Nokia 3 Android phone for example but that has a slightly weaker GPU (T720) (having made use of that phone some while I really don't see how Android TV can run so sluggish on tv's other than bad programming).
The new one is a quadcore with Cortex A73 @ 1500Mhz and Mali G71 GPU which according to Sony should/could improve performance by

View attachment 1147639
So the XG9005 is an XF9005 in a slightly different shell?

desinho

So the XG9005 is an XF9005 in a slightly different shell?
I would think so yes. Only the 55 and 65 XF90 have been carried over for 2019 so I have speculated before that the XG90 is only in the lineup to keep a 49" FALD in there since the XG95 only starts at 55". Not sure for how much longer 55/65XF90 will be in the lineup.
The only 'upgrade' I see listed over the XF90 on their 2019 'step-up chart' is 'Metal Stand'.

After all the new XG83 series are in a pretty similar situation: they basically are the 43 and 49" XF85 (with any luck the 49 will still have a VA panel but that could have changed to IPS now, which was the original intention for the 49XF85). XG85 now starts at 55" ...

Last edited:

henry1983

Standard Member
So what about hardware. Has the processing changed in any way? New chips etc? I was lucky enough to get mine for £830 so less than an xf so not disappointed but if I’d have spent the £1400 rrp I’d be gutted. A 55” would have taken up to much space so happy I went with the 49”. Am I right in saying the only real difference between the 8 and 9 series is the full led backlight? Or is there more to it?

desinho

So what about hardware. Has the processing changed in any way? New chips etc? I was lucky enough to get mine for £830 so less than an xf so not disappointed but if I’d have spent the £1400 rrp I’d be gutted. A 55” would have taken up to much space so happy I went with the 49”. Am I right in saying the only real difference between the 8 and 9 series is the full led backlight? Or is there more to it?
The X1 4K HDR processor that is in the XG85/83 apparently still had the XE90/85 motion bug, discussed here , in the XF85 so might also still be present in the XG85/83. The XF90 received an upgrade to the X1 Extreme and didn't have this issue and same should apply to the XG90 which is also still on the X1 Extreme (perhaps if you open it up the type number on the actual chip might be different and indicate it is a newer chip but the impact would be minimal. Could then also inspect the board that handles the local dimming to see if it's a different type which might mean a change in zone layout or number but not very likely)
Peak brightness for HDR is also much higher on the 9 series.

But the XG90 seems to be for Europe only, chances of any significant modifications from the XF90 would seem very small (so indeed you might as well get the XF model whilst you can). Should be lucky it's still a 100(120)Hz panel as Samsung doesn't have any 49" models with a 100Hz panel of their own (yet the Sony's use a Samsung panel).
Still they could at least have given it the new remote, though some users in Germany have ordered it for their previous years models and seems it's not 100% compatible. Maybe 99% but a few functions don't seem to work so I guess that would probably be the underlying reason for not giving every 2019 model the new remote.

There is an XG85 review by the usually in depth HDTV Polska but seems this time they did a review on location so it's very basic and not even testing the impact of Dolby Vision on a set like this.

Last edited:

desinho

So just did some measurements and seems the stand won’t fit on my AV stand. ☹ Will have to have a rethink then.
With the XF90 you can turn them inwards, with the XG models you can't.
As demonstrated here with the ZF9 (just swap the legs over):

And seems the 49XG90 is/ will be available in Asia. I checked the Japanese, Chinese and Singaporean Sony websites and didn't see it earlier today but here it is on the Hong Kong site Sony X90G | LED | 4K Ultra HD | High Dynamic Range (HDR) | Smart TV (Android TV)
Doesn't change the fact that I haven't heard of any upgrades to the X1 Extreme on this or the AG8

Last edited:

Lord Entropy

With the XF90 you can turn them inwards, with the XG models you can't.
And seems the 49XG90 is/ will be available in Asia. I checked the Japanese, Chinese and Singaporean Sony websites and didn't see it earlier today but here it is on the Hong Kong site Sony X90G | LED | 4K Ultra HD | High Dynamic Range (HDR) | Smart TV (Android TV)
Doesn't change the fact that I haven't heard of any upgrades to the X1 Extreme on this or the AG8
Was thinking of maybe wall mounting but actually maybe turning the stand inward may be an option. Will have to look into that.