Sony KD49X7053 connecting to Onkyo Amp

Bobster691

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi all!

Having some troubles connecting my Sony TV to Onkyo Amp.

Connecting through HDMI ARC from the TV to the Amp. Checked all 3 different HDMI ports, and I dont hear anything coming through the speakers at all, but the Amp is recognising the input from the TV, as the TV changes the speaker source from internal to Audio System and the Amp, if on standby, powers on when I turn the TV on, so it looks like the amp is receiving signal from the TV? If I turn the TV volume up, the Amp volume goes up too....(but no sound output)

I've tried changing the input modes on the Amp for HDMI 1 (where the TV is plugged directly into), from HDMI, to OPT and that doesnt seem to make any difference, and changed the sound profile on the TV from Auto 1, Auto 2 and PCM. Checked the CEC is enabled on the Amp, and it is.

I've tried different HDMI cables, and different ports on the TV and the amp with no success! Checked Bravia connectivity and that's enabled, but notice I get an ERROR_STR on connected devices, if I clear the log, it's only a few seconds before it displays again.

Amp plays other sources fine (such as bluetooth, radio etc.)

Any help would be appreciated :-D

Only ONE port of the amp and TV will be ARC enabled.
:rtfm: to find out which and only use those connections.

Onkyo recommends powering off the AVR and all attached devices (TV included) when the AVR CEC/RHID and ARC setting is altered. Have you done that?
When you have the correct connections again, try that again?

Sometimes, though, HDMI CEC and therefore ARC just don't play nicely with some combinations of makers. Use an optical lead from TV to AVR instead?

My Onkyo and Panny TV seems fine now, after a few initial hiccups when I first bought them.

Hey @Rodders53, thanks for coming back to me so promptly!

Yeah i've checked the HDMI OUT on the TV and it's the ARC enabled port. CEC still enabled, turned the Amp and TV and turned it back on without any success.

Tried changing the Audio input from ARC to HDMI to see if that made a difference (again power cycling), and that didnt work too.

I've even updated the firmware on the Amp to make sure that it's up to date (it did perform an update), and I have power cycled after the update too.

When I turn the TV on, the Amp powers up too - and it's showing ARC on the display, TV stops playing sound but nothing comes through the speakers still.

I'd love to put an optical cable in, but the HDMI cables are buried in the wall at the moment as the TV is wall mounted and the AMP in a cupboard buried away.

On your TV find the Bravia Sync Device List in the settings & make sure your avr is listed. You might need to press “enable” or “scan” to update it.

Thanks @unoduo....I've just checked and it's not seeing HDMI3(ARC out from TV) as being connected to the AVR....it's seeing HDMI2 as being connected as an input (currently got the AVR connected on hdmi 2 to go through setup etc on screen).

It is turning the amp on when I turn the TV on still

Previously it has seen the amp on hdmi 3, and it brought up an error code of ERROR_STR

Connect the ARC enabled HDMI out on your avr to the ARC enabled HDMI on your tv & try the Bravia Sync List again.

Thank you, I'll give this ago....although it is an OUT on the amp and not an IN?

If it sees it and it's enabled, would I then need to move it across to an IN?

The amp's OUTput should connect to the TV ARC-labelled INput for video to the TV from the amp (menus and other INputs) to be displayed.

TVs internal video (tuner(s), streaming apps, other TV inputs) can then send the audio data over the same cable.

It's what the audio return channel is all about.

Video out from amp, audio in from TV over the same cable and connectors.

Gotchya!

I had (currently have) the HDMI ARC on the TV connected to INput only on the AMP, is this where I could be going wrong? The Amp has a number of different IN's(DVD/TV/Game/PC etc) so always assumed that I'd be best off putting the HDMI from the Cable, into the INput named TV on the Amp

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom