sony KD48A9BU vs LG OLED48CX5LC ( PS5)

bob87

Hi Everyone

This is my first post so apologies if it is in the wrong section, I also cannot see this specific topic being discussed on the Forum and Thank you all in advance.

My predicament is that I want to purchase a TV which fully utilises a PlayStation 5 features.

I have read reviews on both Sony KD48A9BU and LG OLED48CX5LC. According to "What HiFi reviews they state the Sony tv "There’s no support for [email protected] (HFR), VRR (Variable Refresh Rate) or even ALLM". is this true? Also the LG TV does fully support the ps5. What would you recommend/advise out of the two for next gen gaming or should I wait, is there something better coming out this year from Sony?

Also I have always been a Sony fan so I have no knowledge on the LG brand in the way of reliability, what do you guys think is LG the better or on par with Sony in regards to reliability and how long they last?

Your help is much appreciated
Thank you

Dodgexander

I made a guide with the best buys here: My best TVs for next gen gaming 2020-21

You'll also see a note about the known issue with VRR at the moment (on any TV) and that's flickering that is due to gamma tracking incorrectly. Support for VRR with the PS5 hasn't been enabled yet, and with 2021 models not long to release it may be an idea to hold out for now, wait for models to release, things to settle and revisit the purchase come black friday 2021.

bob87

I made a guide with the best buys here: My best TVs for next gen gaming 2020-21

You'll also see a note about the known issue with VRR at the moment (on any TV) and that's flickering that is due to gamma tracking incorrectly. Support for VRR with the PS5 hasn't been enabled yet, and with 2021 models not long to release it may be an idea to hold out for now, wait for models to release, things to settle and revisit the purchase come black friday 2021.
This helps a lot thanks. Also is it true Sony do not have anything in 48” coming out this year? Find it quite surprising that a company which has produced a games console who also produces TVs have not got a tv which fully utilises the console seems a bit silly to me

Dodgexander

Its pretty normal for companies to negate smaller TV sizes. 48" OLEDs weren't even available until last year. They will loose a lot of sales to LG who have supported HDMI 2.1 on their TVs since 2019.

There has been a lot of talk about Sony's strategy being poor. With the Sony XH9005 in 2020 they advertised it as being PS5 ready but it didn't come with adequate HDR hardware, and also has a problem with blur in 120hz mode. Even worse, they have yet to even release VRR firmware on the TV or the PS5.

Not to mention the PS5 is lacking Freesync, Dolby Atmos and Dolby Vision compared to the Series X.

In 2021 on Sony TVs they plan to fix the 120hz blur problem and add HDMI forum VRR support but you'll have to buy a 55" model to get it. Its not a bad idea buying 55" anyway, since they tend to be the same price, if not sometimes cheaper than the 48" OLEDs.

bob87

Yh this is what surprised me, how is the same manufacturer cannot produce a tv to take advantage of the ps5, it’s not like they didn’t have the specs before LG etc. Even for 2021 there is nothing under 50” from them, great way to loose customers and revenue

Tobais0101

Novice Member
Good morning,
I totally agree with the people who wrote the comments below.
In addition to that it is your individual choice in the end. It's only you who know what you really expect from that TV, e.g. that it totally supports the ps5.
Best wishes

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Home Cinema Sources and B&W 805 D4 Speaker Review and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom