Sony KD43XE7003 Noise

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by rhf17, Jul 14, 2018.

Tags:
  1. rhf17

rhf17
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Recently bought a Sony KD43XE7003 and am not blown away by the picture quality in the way that I was expecting. I'm trying to work out whether this is normal and I'm expecting too much, it's just not a great set, it's faulty, it's my TV signal, or I need to play around with the settings.

I'm hoping that it's the last option. Despite being pretty into photography and a dab hand at PS I'm not sure where to start with that.

Bluray TV and film looks great and I am really happy with that. I also watched the latest Blue Planet on Netflix in 4K and was very impressed also. There's a decent amount of content on Netflix, such as Fargo, where you can see noise and pixelation in dark areas of the screen, but that could well be down to compression with the streaming platform. I haven't got a bluray copy to compare. The 4K Wimbledon and World Cup coverage on iPlayer looks very impressive also.

Where I am really disappointed is live TV through the aerial. I know that on a 43" TV the SD content is going to look poor, so I'm not worrying about that. What is disappointing is the HD channels, and in particular live sport - tennis and football. The edges around moving players just look jaggedy and there's pixelation on the areas of grass and background. If I walked into the room and didn't know then I'd say that it was an SD broadcast, and I wouldn't really be expecting that on a 43" telly, I'd assume you'd have to go much bigger for that.

When you get right up to the screen you can see random digital noise 'dancing' around the moving players. I'd totally understand it being blurry because you're so close and it's only 1080p, but it's as though the TV is guessing at what those pixels should be, and making a mess of it.

The Signal Quality is 100/100, whereas the Signal Level is only 68/100. My thinking is that the Signal Quality is the important measure here, but I'm happy to stand corrected.

Really happy to hear all thoughts. It's taken me a while to save up for this, it looked top notch in the shop, and with me spending so much time poring over high quality photos, it's really disappointing to look at the TV showing this picture for the minute.

2. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,548
    What picture settings are you using?

Artefacts around players are likely to be something to do with motion processing, interpolation is the first one I'd look at. I think that might be called smoothness on a Sony, probably under a motionflow header.

Noise could be a variety of things, find a section where it's easier to spot and see how the various picture settings affect it.