Sony KD32DX40

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by Stone Free, Feb 11, 2002.

1. Stone Free

Stone Free

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    In a previous thread I explained about a problem with the TV tube that I have had on three TVs now, one KV32DX30 and two of the new DX40. The fault is a 3/4 Inch dark patch/band on the right hand side of the screen.

I have just realized that although the problem can sometimes be seen when natural light is hitting the screen this is just 10% of the time. At night when the curtains are closed and the lights are ons, it can always be seen.

An engineer came on Saturday, and he could see the fault aswell. He said I should have bought it from John Lewis, rather than on the internet :)

If any of you have one these sets can you have a look for me. Dont bother looking during the day as you probably wont see it. Have a look at the right hand side of the screen at night with the room lights on and the Television off, to see if your TV has it. When the TV is on, it is most noticeable in dark scenes.

To see what it looks like have a look at the attachment

Attached Files:

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That doesn't sound right to me. Have you made enquiries about getting a replacement?

J

3. Stone Free

Stone Free

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    The engineer said he would contact Sony, and I should received a call by Tuesday. I will ask for a replacment after I hear back from the engineer. Having now had 3 sets I am wondering if I will ever receive one without the fault

4. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    My DX20 does not have this fault nor does my M.I.L. DX30

Some things to mention

Firstly running in LIVE (aka burn the tube) will highlight any imperfections, it is a terrible setting!

Secondly there is no such thing as a perfect tube, Wega tubes will occasionally have a very slightly darker or lighter patch due to manufacturing limitations of the glass, mine has a _very_ slightly darker patch in one place - I know where it is and I can find it on full white, but not otherwise, nobody else has noticed it - it took me a year!

However geometry I noticed immediately fine for 3 days then it went - so I fixed it myself rather than loose the TV, right hand corners!

Your problem sounds bad but all three with same fault - possibly the location - any radiators near?

Also if running in LIVE try PERSONAL

5. Stone Free

Stone Free

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    I am running the TV in PERSONAL mode, I dont know how anyone can watch it in LIVE it is far to bright. The set is a long way from the radiator. I could see the fault the moment the TV was put on the stand. If you look at the attached picture, it looks like something is placed wrongly and that it should be further to the right. I expect that the darker area is meant to be hidden by the black edging/facia

6. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    My Mother-in-law uses Live - sunglasses time

She watches ITV2 a lot repeats of her favourite soaps and also Plop Idle extra

Try the next TV in a different place before installing