1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony KD32DX200U

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Eth, Jun 24, 2004.

1. Eth

Eth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi. Just got one of these yesterday and I'm exceptionally happy with it. However I have just a couple of questions.

In DRC50 mode the screen sometimes shows a slightly lighter patch top left on screen, specifically when there are bars at the top and bottom, anything over 16:9 ratio. Also, in the same circumstance the top few horizaontal lines of picture before the top black bar seem to be slightly brighter/higher contrast than the rest of the picture.

I should note that today both of these artifacts have dimished massivley (in fact I'm not even sure I can see them at all now).

Is it common that new large crt sets like this "settle in" and that little things like this do start out then fade away as the set runs in?

2. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    TVs do need running in - also use PERSONAL rather than LIVE - LIVE can overdrive the tube

3. Eth

Eth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks.

Yes the first thing I did was turn the brightness, contrast way down as both seemed factory preset over 50 and it was far too bright. I'm not sure but I think I backed sharpening and color off a little too.

4. TV Headache

TV Headache
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Eth,

I'm very seriously considering this TV to replace my 1st generation Sony IDTV, if The Purchasing Committee will give in! Do you have any other comments about the picture quality and general usibility? I've seen a good review and I've got sky-high expectations so I would be very interested to know what a real owner thinks of it.

Thanks in advance...

5. Eth

Eth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well with a good source, the picture quality is absoleutly stunning, especially in DRC50 mode. It really does show up the artifacts in a poor dvd or tv signal though, but if the source is good it really shines. I havent noticed any annoying levels of color bleed or distortion. As I stated in my first post there is that slight brightening (and it is very slight, I have to have the lights off and watch a very dark movie) over a small patch of the screen in DRC50 but from reading around it seems this is normal for the mode, and it is beginning to fade after just a day. This isn't present at all in DRC100 or straight 100. Sound wise the TV is a bit lacking in terms of power, but it does the job of TV and Nicam nicely, and the dolby virtual surround is there too. At low volumes I have had to check once or twice to see if I'd left my AV amp turned on :p

My only real complaint is the lack of connections on the back (it has plenty of scarts but thats about all it has). Aesthetically of course, the TV is a beuty.

All in all I'd highly recomend the TV.

I should note I've only had it two days, so for all I know they self-destruct after a week (though I doubt it).

DVDs I've tried on it so far that look stunning...

Gladiator
    Alien I (quadrilogy mastering)
    Final Fantasy - Spirits within
    Terminator 3

The last too arn't great films but I never knew a tv could look as detailed as they do on this set - especially in DRC50 mode. (I know its just an image process but, I'm convinced ;p)

UPDATE: I solved both problems. I had a speaker what I considered a respectable distance from the screen, but after moving it the artifact has dissapeared. With that solved my recommendation is unreserved (and I'm a very happy man :p).

6. Pedro

Pedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Eth,

In DRC 50 mode and viewing very fast horizontal moving text - is the movement smooth or does the text judder / lag ?

Glad you like the Sony :thumbsup:

Thanks

Pedro

7. Eth

Eth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I haven't had a problem with horizontal motion in DRC50 - text is very clear. I can read some of the credits I couldn't see before. As for horizontally scrolling text too be honest I haven't really seen any yet. Nothing has jumped out at me as uncomfortable though. Text is better in DRC50 than 100, but my eyes are senseative to the more obvious scanlines in 100 (actually scanlines in DRC50 are nigh on impossable for me to see). "Gone in 60 seconeds" opens with some very fast pans around some very detailed objects, with credits moving about, and that was fine.

Damn things a dust magnet though :) But I guess thats true of any large tube.

8. mansell

mansell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Eth , apart from flicker reduction do you notice and difference between DRC50 and DRC100 ?

9. Eth

Eth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    DRC50 is immaculatley clear, where as DRC100 has visable scan lines (not awful or anything just if that kind of thing annoys you they are there). If my understanding is right, DRC50 doubles both the horizontal and vertical scan, while DRC100 doubles only the horizontal. The image quality of DRC50 is by far the best out of the three modes - and looks absoleutley stunning to be frank. Despite the manuals claim that DRC100 is optimal, DRC50 is definatley the better picture.

DRC50 is smoother, with no traces of flicker at all. DRC100 has the kind of flicker you only notice if youve been using DRC50 just beforehand, and its very hard to notice.

10. Jez

Jez
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Am seriously thinking about getting the KD28DX200 upgrading from my old philips 21 widescreen. So do you recomend. Does it auto change to widescreen when you play a dvd?

11. mansell

mansell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    JEZ , the Sony will switch to widescreen when you play a dvd , to be honest all widescreen TV's do .

12. Eth

Eth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes it does, though sometimes it makes the wrong decision between wide and zoom (which provides a slight vertical stretch) when its anamorphic, but i suspect most TV's get it wrong sometimes what with the variety of formats on dvd's.

I recomend a good set of cables though (probably standard advice) because it improved my picture tremendously - also my sony ns-305 player turned out to not really be up to the job, and I bought a NAD-512 which also greatly improved things (Help - I can't stop tweaking :p).

13. mansell

mansell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Eth , does yours have the memory stick reader and two tuners ?

stop tweaking now !

:laugh:

14. Eth

Eth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It has two tuners but no memory stick reader. Odd because the next model down does but oh well :p

Tweaking - I can't help it. On my old TV having something on DVD was enough to satisfy, but on this TV and a decent player I can see when a transfer is flawed now. On the plus side I can spot lots of cool things I hadn't before, like the shadow of a cameraman in Alien (quadrilogy) that I'm sure I've never seen mentioned anywhere :) I've pretty much rewatched my entire collection since I got it.