1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony KD32DX200 vs Sony KV32FQ86 vs Philips 32PW9618

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by neillloyd, Aug 22, 2004.

1. neillloyd

neillloyd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm in the market for a new TV and would welcome the advice of those who own any of the above models. I am more interesed in picture quality as I have Sky+, DVD, XBox and 5.1 so sound is not an issue.

A friend has the the 36" version of the Philips and raves about it. It gets good reviews but when I saw it with a sky feed I was dissapointed at the amount of pixelisation - very distracting after many years of 28" 50 Hz TV. Maybe he hasnt set it up correctly as I've read a lot of good reviews?

Today I saw the two Sony models in a shop and was equally impressed by both pictures - seemed to have a lot of depth with very little in the way of pixelisation.

At the moment I am swayed towards the Sony models, more so the KD32DX200 because of the asthetics.

Please can anyone make my mind up as to which to purchase as I am having a nightmare deciding.

Thanks in advance....

2. TV Headache

TV Headache
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You're not the only person who has noticed the true benefits of 'Pixellation Plus' technology... It seems to be one of those 'marmite' features that divide opinion. I've seens loads of Philips PP TVs and I can never get used to that noisey, unnatrual image. Other's I'm sure will argue that PP is some kind of high definition substitute, but my guess is that they're getting their guide dogs to do the typing... :cool:
    I agree completely, on account of being sick of looking at dull, silver-grey TVs. I've also seen DX200 next to FQ86 in the same shop with the same feed and I personally prefered the DX200's DRC picture quality. :smashin:

3. Sunny101

Sunny101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    TV Headache - I totally agree with you on this, but didnt wana say it because I though I had a bad set, or it was me who wasnt used to the quality.

I agree that anyone who likes the over processed unnatural image of the Philips does not know how a picture should look.

I find the Pixel Plus thing a load of *****. I keep the picture on 100hz Digital Scan. But, Iv found something which might be of interest to every 32pw9618 owner:

I am getting Progressive Scan from my tv!! yes, its true, the tv doesnt support it, and im not sure if its actual pro scan. But, I have a DVD player which supports pal pro scan - Pioneer DV 575s. I connect this via Ixos scart to my tv. I set the player to Pro Scan. Now heres the trick:

Set the DVD player to force NTSC output, because the Pro Scan on the tv only works when picking up an NTSC signal. For NTSC discs its not a problem, you can leave it in auto. Then goto your picture menu on the tv, and look at the menu change. Whereas before you had 100hz, then Movie Plus, then Pixel Plus, then Double Lines, you should be getting Pro Scan at the top!

Anyone who has this set and can also do this - let me know how you feel about the picture quality.

Im now experimenting with different dvds, i.e. NTSC dvds, Superbit dvds, and the difference between NTSC and PAL Superbit dvds.

The quality is still weird, it looks over sharp and now you can see all the pixels - they seem too apparent. Maybe be due to NTSC output? less lines?

I wish I hadnt bought this set now......

Anyone wana buy mine, its 2 weeks old :p

4. neillloyd

neillloyd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the feedback. I think I had already made my mind up but you've both reassured me I was making the right decision.

Now for the small matter of persuading the wife to go for the more expensive DX200...

5. TV Headache

TV Headache
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good luck. I've been trying to get DX200 past The Purchasing Committee for a few months now...