1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony KD32DX200 pros/cons?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by sonysideup, Jan 9, 2005.

1. sonysideup

sonysideup
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've been looking for a new tv for a couple of months now and originally considered the sony KD32dx200 after recommendations from this forum. I have since dabbled with the idea of buying an lcd tv but the uncertainty over sky's high-definition input is putting me off.

Now I'm thinking about going back to my initial idea of the kd32dx200 and wondered if any owners here could fill in a few gaps for me.

Basically, how does the tv perform with the following:

Sport, particularly football
    DVDs
    Movies
    Soaps, kids programmes, normal telly in general

I'd be grateful for any input whether it be positive or negative. The reason I leaned towards this set was because it had DRC 100hz, which I've been told handles fast moving objects fine and gives a better picture - is this true?
    I know the Sony FQ86 had problems with smearing on football which put me off.

I will soon have Sky + installed, so the Freeview is just an added bonus but not essential.

Thanks for your help.

2. Brainboy

Brainboy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I am making the same decision on the same grounds and am also considering this set seriously - anyone got one to tell me (us) how it is with football? I have had fingers badly burnt with another 100HZ set and am really worried - cheers in advance of any help offered!

3. sonysideup

sonysideup
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    i've just got back from a local store and the resident expert was recommending this set. he said the 100hz drc setting is better than most, although he warned football may be better viewed on 50hz.

that said, i'd still like to hear from anyone hear who has the tv.

4. Grif

Grif

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I agree with resident expert. I've got this box and its good....if you do a wee searcharooney you'll see what I and others think of it. I certainly recommend using a decent retailer though....in case you get a Friday afternoon spesh !!

5. sonysideup

sonysideup
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    thanks grif - how does it handle sport/movies etc

6. Grif

Grif

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Don't watch footy I'm afraid (although what I've seen looks fine to me on DRC50). I do watch a lot of bike racing (motor), and again very good through Sky on DRC50, and quite watchable on DRC100, but not quite as good.
    DVD is stunning on either setting. Don't watch that many movies (other than DVD) but did see Gladiator a while ago on Ch5....looked like a DVD....very impressive. Freeview was an added bonus as their site suggested I was outside their reception range....yet I get all the channels I think.....and the quality of that is excellent too, although it does break up occasionally.

7. sonysideup

sonysideup
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    cheers grif - stupid question here.....i'm about to invest in sky +. i presume the freeview won't interfere with that.

8. Grif

Grif

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    No....

9. sonysideup

sonysideup
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    thanks for your help, grif. that's just the sort of info i need. like i say, i've been debating lcd screens for the past month but i've now gone back to the idea of buying crt. the salesman i spoke to agreed with me and now you've confirmed my choice.
    thanks again.

10. Spookyville

Spookyville
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    in the same boat as other posters here - and have virtually decided on this set in the next month or so. will be interested for any views on anyone here that gets the set in - any set up issues etc, and their opinion son the set.. cheers

11. Pieman1972

Pieman1972
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I first saw this set before Christmas - looks smart - and now just trying to get the best price ready for a JL price match.......

I did send an email to PRC direct as they were advertising at £863 - I also phoned them - the operative said "weren't in stock" and I asked whether that was shop price (unfortunately not) he did say I would need to speak to someone else. So rang them after about 40 rings someone answered "yep!"......asked him about availability and shop price of the DX200 he asked me "where do you get our number" and told him his colleague on web sales. He turned round and said "they out of stock - call next week" and put the phone down!!!!!!! Quality CS. :rolleyes:

Last night I received a reply to my email (only 6 days to reply).....saying "Thanks for the email - out of stock; Regards......."

Sorry if this was a bit off topic but hopefully will save people looking for this TV a bit of time by not contacting them.

Cheers - Pieman

12. mansell

mansell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    don't know if this helps but i have the FQ80 which has no problem's with sky football , movies or anything for that matter.

I normally watch in DRC100 mode