1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony KD32DX100

Discussion in 'TVs' started by kev_gordon, Feb 8, 2002.

1. kev_gordon

kev_gordon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone got one of these? It got a stunning review in What TV magazine (not to be trusted probably), and as I am still on the lookout for a nice telly, was hoping this one might be better than some of their others?

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I've ordered one of these in preference to the overpriced (I think they are all overpriced come to think about it!) NX100. I had a FQ75 before and it had all sorts of problems (scrolling bars etc) and I decided to get the DX100 as a replacement. The shop (Sony Centre) were OK about the exchange, but it did take a while before they decided to accept that the FQ75 was faulty. I was told that the DX100 is exactly the same as the NX100 internally except for the chassis and that the NX100 has an optical out. I was a bit worried at first about getting the DX100 because it has the same chassis as the FQ75. It should be delivered this week.

If the DX100 turns out to be another lemon then I will get a refund and get a Panasonic instead. I've simply had enough of Sony.

J

3. kev_gordon

kev_gordon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Let us all know how you get on J! Good luck on your purchase too...

4. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

OK, I've finally set up my DX100! Here are my findings so far:

1) There are NO scrolling bars!
    2) There are NO colour purity problems!
    3) There are NO noticeable focus problems!

So am I happy? Yes and no. I'm happy that the problems that plagued the FQ75 seems to have been ironed out BUT I am unsure whether this set is brand new!!

When I first saw the box it had the dreaded brown tape and when I questioned the driver about it he just said if I had a problem with it then I should contact the shop immediately. There was about 3 layers of brown tape but I couldn't see any staple holes. Maybe Sony have stopped using staples?

Other problems:

1) There was dust (but no finger prints) on the screen and there was no Sony or DVB sticker.
    2) The power cable was not neatly tied. It did look as though it had been used. To reinforce this I noticed that the pins on the plug had marks on them suggesting that the set had been used before.
    3) The remote control was out of its plastic bag. The manual was however in a sealed bag.
    4) The box's serial number is different from the serial number on the back of the TV! The box was a proper Sony box with a picture of the TV printed on it and also white stickers on the corner to show the serial and model numbers.
    5) There is a slight geometry problem on the left hand corner. The picture seems to droop down by about 3mm from the horizontal.

I will call the shop to see what they have to say on the matter. But other than that its much better than the FQ75. The picture quality is very good indeed especially if you have a digital aerial. The set comes with two tuners - one digi and one analogue and you can switch between the two. Not sure if you can still use the set in a non digital area but I assume you can still use the analogue tuner if you've got a standard aerial. It also has 3 scarts, 2 of which are RGB.

Once final point the normal way of getting into the service menu doesn't work on this set! Anyone know?

Maybe Sony are converting all the returned FQ75s into DX100?

Hope this helps.

J

5. bh

bh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Looks like a trip back to the shop then....

"1) There was dust (but no finger prints) on the screen and there was no Sony or DVB sticker. - Presumably not from the factory
    2) The power cable was not neatly tied. It did look as though it had been used. No doubt - sloppy deceit methinks To reinforce this I noticed that the pins on the plug had marks on them suggesting that the set had been used before.
    3) The remote control was out of its plastic bag. The manual was however in a sealed bag. Don't let that mitigate against the fact that the set is obviously not factory new
    4) The box's serial number is different from the serial number on the back of the TV! The box was a proper Sony box with a picture of the TV printed on it and also white stickers on the corner to show the serial and model numbers. Absolute proof of the deceit
    5) There is a slight geometry problem on the left hand corner. The picture seems to droop down by about 3mm from the horizontal.Your first, but not sole reason for taking it back, getting a refund and shopping elsewhere. "

:(

6. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well looks like another swap out! I've spoken to the assistant manager (the manager was not in) and he "could not believe" that the set wasn't brand new!
    I had to destroy the box to get the TV out (the box is perforated on one side to allow easy access) and the guy was astonished that I did that! I said to him that this is a normal procedure, it even has pictures on the box to show how to open the box correctly! Anyway he said that I should not have damaged the box and that to qualify for a return it should be in "perfect condition". I said but it was NOT in perfect condition, its second-hand! Anyway after telling him what should of happened and asking him why it didn't, he gave in and said he will speak to his manager tomorrow to give me a call on the matter. I know that people are desperate for business these days but fobbing people off is not the way around it! Will keep you updated.

J

7. bh

bh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The box was damaged because the TV wasn't packed properly and had clearly been opened already ;)

I know that some rear projection TVs have timers showing how long the set has been on for since manufacture. It may be the case for your model (I'm just guessing). It may be the joker that you play to 'prove' that your TV was not factory new upon sale to you. Just tell them (if they won't budge) that you know that this is possible and that you won't hesitate to get a Sony engineer to confirm this.

Good luck,

BH

8. M.Joshi

M.Joshi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    It sounds as if the t.v has either been in a customer's home previously and has been returned / repaired or it has been on display in the shop.

I would be interested to know where this Sony centre is.

The FX75 is a brilliant t.v with the exception of a few known faults. Other manufacturers are only now starting to produce t.v's with the DRC equivalent.

9. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    The DX100 is the FQ75 replacement

I'm hoping for everyones sake it is a good TV

10. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had this model for about 3 days now and I have not seen any of the problems that plagued the FQ75 (ie scrolling bars, colour purity, focusing problems) so far. I am happy (at last) with the quality of this set and the pictures are very clean and free from interference. I'd say that the quality is better than Sky.

BUT I was sold a second-hand set!!!!! So this is going back for another replacement!

Maybe Sony are using all those returned FQ75 chassis to make this model? Who knows? But my set had the usual signs of previous use eg dust and finger prints on the screen, scratches on the sides, unwound power cable etc etc etc....

Hope this helps.

J

11. bugfinder

bugfinder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you say the TV is free from defects... are you sure it's a good idea to return it??? You then run the risk of getting a replacement with a problem which would lead to more time consuming hassle and frustration...

You have the evidence that the set is not new with the serial numbers, so why not try and get some compensation instead - money for another component or to boost your DVD collection.

In another recent post someone was trying to buy the shop display model because the geometry on the set was good - he was willing to pay full price for a machine that had been running for days because the brand new boxed set could be defective! (This is a good example of how confident we all are in the current CRT technology!!!)

It seems a bit of a lottery to me - sending it back could well be tempting fate...!

12. AndyFox

AndyFox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Been lurking for ages - but this comment interested me -

FQ75 is a Analogue only TV where as the DX100 is DVB - how does that make it the replacement model?

I'd love there to be a 36DX100, the twin RGB input and big screen of the 36FS70 - maybe soon.....

Andy

13. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    1) Picture quality, it is quite well known that BBC is of better quality via Digital Terrestrial than Digital Satellite.

Also The integrated tuners appear to be of better quality than the external boxes. My DX20 is way better than Ondigital box in via RGB

2) The FQ75 is an obsolete TV, it cannot pick up Widescreen broadcasts without an additional box.

I stand by my remark that the DX100 is a FQ75 replacement

Both DRC 50 & DRC 100, both similar styling, both twin tuner.

However DX100 runs a DVB-T tuner rather than 2 PAL tuners, it also has 2 RGB Scarts - great for DVD and games!

Saying it is not a replacament model because of the digital tuner is flawed - all tvs should be IDTV or just a monitor!

14. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think there is a push for manufacturers to make DVB TVs so it does not suprise me that the DX100 is a replacement for the FQ75. The analogue signal is being switch off around 2006-2008 so I guess Sony are trying to get a head start by producing more DVB TVs than their competitors.

J

15. AndyFox

AndyFox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just my terminology I guess then - I think of a manufacturer replacement being the model in the range that superceeds the previous model - usually adding something but staying at that approx price point and feature set.

So if went into a shop a year later and needed a replacement tele say due to insurance they would show you the equivilent set from current model line up.

They then may try upselling to a DVB model in this case as it is obviously a similar TV but with DVB added benefits and probably better reliability etc.

Hopefully the DX100 won't suffer the problems of the FQ75...

Thanks,
    Andy

16. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I think Sony are pushing DVB TVs harder than any other manufacturer

When mine had the CAM/sound upgrade (already had Dig Teletext) The engineer told my wife there were another 50,000 to do, the DX30 was out and ok, and total sales of IDTVs were about 100,000.

I think Sony have got about 50% ofthe IDTV market - also the IDTVs seem to suffer less problems than the other Sony TVs

17. Fin

Fin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Being based in Scotland (Near Edinburgh) I looked in the local electrical stores for the 32DX100 and 32NX100. Price were 1800 and 2300 respectively. On the net I could get the DX100 for 1150+VAT and the NX100 for about 1500 all in.

I am very tempted with the DX100 and wondered if anyone else had any good deals.

Cheers

Fin

18. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Fin, I can't say that I had a good deal for my DX100. It cost me 1800 from Sony Centre! Not only that, it was a used set! But thats another story. I can say that the DX100 beats the FQ75 (my previous set) in terms of quality by miles. I can't say that ALL DX100 will be this good but I think you stand a better chance of getting a good one as all the problems associated with the FQ are now gone. I guess the only thing left to deal with is whether you get a brand new one.

J

19. Fin

Fin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for that, I have looked at them in the shops and was very impressed with the quality. I now need to work out where I will buy it from. Bt reading the posts on this forum then I am at a loss so far!

20. Fin

Fin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have checked on the web and some of the online retailers are selling the 32DX100(S) which ties in with the sony website. When I check in the local shops then the product is 32DX100(U). Is this a software revision number or a country code?

I am wary that I do not buy a non-uk model.

Cheers

21. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I thinks its to do with the stand

22. kev_gordon

kev_gordon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think, from memory & reading previous articles, that the U code is a country code for the UK.

I might be barking up the wrong tree though....

It seems that this model of TV has got a positive vibe... I think I may go out and get one... :D

23. fwan

fwan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Kev is right "U" for the UK market

"S" is for stand. I have confirmed this with Sony as they use "U" in last year's brochure. There is no different between the two unless you get one with some other alphabets which are for other markets.

In the case of FQ, I think it is appropriate to say "S" stands for "Seconds" with Sony's sub-standard quality control!!!!!!

24. Fin

Fin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have decide that I will buy one of these sets. The DX100 for about 1350 sounds good but to get an NX100 for about 1500 seems too good to be true (if it sounds it then it normally is!). Hopefully some decisions will be made within a week.

Any other thoughts?

25. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Fin, I was told by the Sony guys that the only major difference between the DX100 and NX100 is that the NX100 has an optical out. I also checked this out at the Sony site to confirm this. Other than that they are the same TV internally. I did get to see both side by side in the shop and the quality is the same. Don't know if optical out is important to you though. I went for the DX100 because it was cheaper and also I didn't like the "i-mac" styling of the NX100 :)

J

26. Fin

Fin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Being a bit of a novice, what benefits would the provision of an Optical Out provide me? I intend purchasing a home cinema system in the not too distant also.

It looks like the DX100 might get the nod so far as the looks will remain for longer but also the deal on the NX100 seems a great one.

Cheers

Fin

27. bumper31

bumper31

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Reading the good stuff about this TV, I went down to John Lewis to have a butchers.

On seeing the TV I was not impressed by the picture at all. On the digital picture there was noticeable blurring edges on moving things and there were horizontal lines across the screen.

Obviously I didn't have the chance to tweak the picture but I did notice this was running in DRC 100 mode.

The signal quality might have had something to do with it so I compared it with the Philips 32dw9625c and the philips won hands down. Clearer, no fuzziness, it was also in 100Hz/Natural Motion mode.

I am torn between the two but as Empire direct has the Philips up for £1150 and on the evidence of my own eyes I am tempted to go for the philips.

Has anyone else seen problems on the Sony, or does it just need tweaking, and does it justify £300-£400 more than the philips?:(

28. Fin

Fin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To be honest when I looked at the Sony, the picture looked great to me. I saw no horizontal lines and never noticed blurring but then again the news was on so not much movement on the stiff upper lip brigade ;-)

Fin

29. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    bumper31

I wouldn't compare sets in shops because they are usually very bad quality because they are are not connected to good quality aerial. They usually have a distributed aerial system. So having around 20+ sets on the shop floor all going into 1 aerial isn't really going to give you a good pic.

I have a DX100 and I can say that its the best pic I've seen. The set I saw in the shop (Sony Centre) was crap but I had a FQ75 before and I thought the DX100 MUST be better - and it is.

Hope this helps.

J

30. Banjaxe

Banjaxe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    The thing to do to check out the quality in a showroom is to use the button on the top left of the remote to make sure it's using the digital terrestrial tuner rather than the analogue tuner.

If it's on the digital tuner you should see a yellow square with the channel number in black at the top right when you change channels. If it's on the analogue tuner you should see the usual green Sony onscreen graphics.

If you then choose one of the BBC digital channels you've got a reasonable chance of seeing a "good quality" digital picture that shouldn't be as variable as an analogue picture (it should either be pretty much perfect or unwatchable depending on the signal strength).

Ronnie