1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony Kd32-dx200

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by james_19742000, Oct 8, 2004.

1. james_19742000

james_19742000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Hi all,

I am trying to talk my wife into letting me have a new TV, I am looking at the Sony KD32-DX200, I currently have a Sony standard 28" Widescreen 50hz set, which is OK but personally I want to make the step towards a better picture, sound quality etc etc.

Is this set any good? The looks of it are quite funky so it is my ideal choice really, I also have a Sony DAV-S500 DVD 5.1 sound system, will it compliment eachj other nicely??

Just after some thoughts and peoples thoughts on the set before we make a decision?

Thanks in advance.

James :smashin: :smashin: :smashin: :smashin:

2. mdinch

mdinch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi James,
    I've got that tv. I'm very impressed with it. However mine has a geometry problem and will be getting a replacement tomorrow.
    A word of warning though, this SVM thingy (read my previous thread titled "KD32DX200 halo/shadow problem") can be a bit distracting. It makes sky text almost unreadable. I never did find out how to switch it off in the service menu. Anyway, it seems that by selecting the 'movie' option in the user menu it swathes off the SVM. Hey presto, no halo.

Actually it was a toss between the sony kd32dx200 and the philips 9505. After reading about some of the problems that people have been having with the 9505 on this forum, I decided to go for the sony.

Here are some reviews about it.
    http://www.homecinemachoice.com/cgi-bin/displayreview.php?reviewid=4281
    http://www.homecinemachoice.com/cgi-bin/displayreview.php?reviewid=4222
    http://www.homecinemachoice.com/cgi-bin/displayreview.php?reviewid=4041

Mel.

3. james_19742000

james_19742000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Thanks Mel, graet help, but just been reading in those revioews about the fact that it doesnt seem to connect up to a Home Cinema system very well? Anyone had any experience of this set with a home cinema? Like I said in my first post I have the Sony DAV-S500 home cinema system, anyone got any views on linking the two together to get the very best from them both?

Thanks, James.

4. mrtbag

mrtbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +395
    Do you have sky as well, and maybe a VCR?

No set up should cause too much problem nowadays.

A set with all those products would be:

Attached Files:

5. james_19742000

james_19742000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Thanks for the diagram, it looks straight forward enough, i will have a look tomorrow i think, just that like most people I have about 300 miles of cables behind the tv so will be a bit of project sorting this little lot out, will gibe it a go.

Many thanks. James

6. Grif

Grif

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I've got this set too..and I'm very pleased with it.Very good looking bit of furniture aswell as a great TV. Don't see why you should have any probs with your davs kit...the reviewer was probably refering to the lack of component inputs so no progressive scan. Use a decent scart outputting RGB, sit back & enjoy!! I would recommend getting any TV these days from a retailer you can trust...quality control is not all it could be!!
    Got mine from John Lewis via a price match.

Hmmm...just looked at that diagram, seems the davs does not have a scart output..I don't use S vid so I can't tell you if quality is as good...but that is a deficiency of the dav not the TV.

7. james_19742000

james_19742000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Just looked at Currys website, and with imputting the discount code it works out at £870 with delivery, thats pretty good I think? How does that compare to others? Just got to get the approval from the wife now :)

8. Grif

Grif

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Yup...thats an excellent price!!!

9. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    The DAV500 don't do RGB - time for a new player there are some good ones for under £200

10. james_19742000

james_19742000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    So would that mean that I wouldnt be able to have 5.1 sound from this TV then? Or would it be like the set up I have at the moment where I have it tuned through the AV channels on the TV and as long as it all goes through there and the player is set to video 1 it works OK?

Thanks, James.

11. james_19742000

james_19742000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Thanks for all your help guys, going to pop out later today and show the wife the TV and see if I can do some smooth talking!!! Although some compromise is in need!!!!

Wish me luck!

Regards James