1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony KD32 DX200

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Discord, Sep 4, 2004.

1. Discord

Discord
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone got any comments about this set?

Interested in it because of it's styling and generally good reviews.

I'm not using anything flash with the TV: this will actually be my first widescreen. Standard Sony DVD player and VHS

Signal is via Cable {no roof top aerials here} from NTL, although I don't subscribe to any packages. It's just that NTL supply all the cabling here.

2. DoomWolf

DoomWolf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I'm also interested in this model as a replacement for my 32" FQ70 that goes back next week due to unfixable geometry problems. I was looking at the FQ86 (I was impressed seeing it in the shop) but am put off by the number of people with problems noted on this forum.

I have Sky+, a Sony DAVS500 DVD and a bog-standard VHS.

I've seen the DX200 specs saying it does picture & text (very useful feature), but does it also do either picture & picture (like the FQ86) or picture in picture like the the FQ70 (a feature I've not been able to try due to having the wrong remote control)?

As Discord says, any comments on this set would be appreciated.

3. Discord

Discord
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No news is good news..

4. DoomWolf

DoomWolf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Either that or no-one on here has one. ;)

5. DoomWolf

DoomWolf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I'll be able to let you know what it's like soon (next week hopefully) as I've ordered one from Currys. The Currys website is selling them for £919 instead of the £1199 in their stores.

Discord, If you do decide to order one, I also have a discount code for the Currys website that someone posted on this forum a few weeks ago. It got me £70.95 off the cost of the TV plus delivery and installation, making the total price £895. If you want the code, just let me know.

6. Grif

Grif

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4

I'm about to buy this box too....any chance you could PM me the code too please :D

7. Grif

Grif

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Its OK, I found it :thumbsup: thanks anyway.

8. josereyes

josereyes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry ..not been around - I have this set ..John Lewis delivered it to me 5 days after launch to stop me going into melt down about the 2 Panachronic PD30 's that had wasted 2 days of my annual leave and a great deal of my time and patience. When we got it out the box and plugged it in my heart sank - on coaxial it looked very ordinary. I spent three hours setting it up and a week tweaking it - you would have to take it away over my dead body now. The only let down I felt at the time was the sound which didn't touch the Panny but for reasons that I cannot explain and after I spent £50 on a cheap sub woofer to boost the bass its even come good there - woofer has been switched off and gone so maybe a temp fault on my telewest digital box. This set looks like the k9's privates on or off and set up carefully the picture is amazing. Contrast fairly high - brightness low with a digital source and set to the "50" special setting (sorry - I'm at work and can't recall what they call it) it can only be described as stunning - 100hz is good but the picture is so fine on their special gizmo setting that you just leave it as it is. Friends and guests invariably comment on how good it is and its low which suits me better than the sit up and beg ( or is that fail..) of the PD30. On paper the PD30 should be better and have more facilities - I had two and neither worked - I am thrilled with the Sony and if you take your time with it you will be rewarded admirably - don't hesitate - and I had to pay £1199 as it was just out and I couldn't play JL off againt anyone - at £900 plus its a steal. :smashin:

Doom wolf . On text you get small picture one side then text on the other - then full screen mix of both then text only. You don't get picture in picture that I've found yet - we don't get the Freeview channels being a whole 35 miles outside London so I'm not sure if the set offers it on digital but I don't think so.

BTW ..if you do a search for this set see my posts of the 27th and 28th of May - you have to go back a page or 2 in the search but more info and comment there as well.

9. DoomWolf

DoomWolf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    josereyes, thanks for that very informative review. I'm really looking forward to getting the TV now. I'll certainly spend some time trying to get the settings just right. Unfortunately, that's normally what I'm not very good at, so I may be coming back to ask you what your settings are. :)

10. josereyes

josereyes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No problemo - just let me know. Reading posts on this site you realise that no 2 sets are the same. With the Sony I thought I had it right early on with mid contrast and mid brightness but I love the settings I have now.
    What I can do is take a few digital pictures for you. This set really shows up poor quality broadcasts but if you set the thing when Emmerdale via digital Pace box ( yeah I know ..no need to follow the "story") is on then you get a top quality picture to go by ..or ITN news at 10.30 ..top quality stuff.
    Feel free to mail me and I'll help if I can - I know what its like to spend £1199 and spend 2 days thinking - Doh! As I said I wouldn't swap it for 10 Panasonics plus the PD30 was abnormally high - although I liked the look peace broke out on the swap when the ladies of the house set eyes on the Sony ..its a handsome beast - reminds me of that rogue cyber cop in Robocop that breaks down in the board room and shoot a few people ..I don't know what I'm on either! :cool:

11. Jez

Jez
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the 28 version on order, so am looking forward to getting it. By the sounds of it Sony are not making them quick enough cause i am having to wait 3 weeks :(

12. josereyes

josereyes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Its worth the wait -- the 32" is sharp so the 28 should be be stunning :thumbsup:

13. josereyes

josereyes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  14. DoomWolf

DoomWolf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I'm getting quite excited about it now. I had confirmation from Currys on Thursday, and it's being delivered tomorrow (Sunday) at the same time as picking up the faulty FQ70 that I bought last month.

This time I paid the cost for installation. The FQ70 was an instore special and I brought it home myself. A neighbour had to help me carry it inside. There was no way I was going through that again. ;) :D

15. josereyes

josereyes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I don't balme you for having it carried but the DSG people don't usually know how anything works. Just for a laugh I tried to tune the Freeview channels today and suprise surprise - they're all here now and installed even though my postcode on their site says not yet. Looping across to the coaxial I now have 3 inputs for TV. I have to say that whilst the Freeview built in is very good and a marked improvement on the Coaxial which is still good the Telewest Digital box on RGB scart still takes the lead by a country mile.
    The thing I was trying to recall was the DRC setting. I personally haven't liked many 100mhz tv's because although the flat screen pictures look good they also look lined to me. If you use the 50 DRC setting you get no lines - in the manual Sony imply the best picture is from the 100mhz DRC setting. I don't agree. Maybe on mine its the wrong way round but 50 is stunning. There is also a noise filter. I set this to high ..others in my family like it low ..its set high! Enjoy ..if you don't get a good picture mail me. I watched the DVD of The Day after Tomorrow on it tonight - stunning - set on Dynamic sound I thought the lightning was outside. Great fun. :smashin:

16. beer gut

beer gut

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all. i am currently working in Africa and i'm considering ordering this TV so it arrives just as i get home. Feel i deserve a treat for all the hard work ;) I have found a company who are selling it for £899 delivered is this a good price?

Thanks

I might just take you up on that offer :smashin:

17. josereyes

josereyes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pope a Catholic ? yep ..thats a good price and I'm going to scream until I'm sick. Still - must say something that I still love it having paid top dollar for it.

18. Jez

Jez
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When i get my 28, whats best to get the picture right? Buy eye or i was thining about using one of the thx optimizer thingy's i have on dvd.

Also whats the rule with consoles and new flat screen tv's. Do they still damage the tube or not a problem nowardays?

Cheers:)

19. josereyes

josereyes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not sure about consoles except personally I don't use one with the Sony - I have a nice little Philips 24" upstairs in the ..er..office..that has PS2 etc connected. I decided to keep the KD32 pure so I attached a Philips DVD Recorder,second Digibox and video to the upstairs set and just run the Telewest and DVD on the Sony and I'm sure it helps - plus of course top quality connects - two scarts cost me £70 but well worth it on sets like these. I used to use the PS2 with the 28" Philips I had and it used to cut out every two hours so I have always assumed it wasn't the best thing ever.

As far as picture settings go ..roughly I use
    Personal settings option with the contrast nearly full and brightness virtually off. Sharpness to about a third of the bar.
    I use noise reduction on full but medium is good to - just slightly grainier.
    I use DCR setting 50 but on 28" try them all ..well try them all anyway.
    Best sound I got was the Dynamic setting. This is a set that responds instantly to the quality of broadcast. ie Old Fools and Horses looks ropey even on digital - do the settings on digital source of Emmerdale to get the contrast and brightness or the ITN news - top picture quality. You may need to push the brightness up for DVD's. I'll mail my settings if it helps but only if you really need it as it may take me a while to get it organised - I get in late from work!

20. broona

broona

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +547
    Has this TV got component input? Looked through the specs, and can't seem to find any mention of it, assume it hasn't? :(

21. DoomWolf

DoomWolf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Well, I got my set yesterday, and I have to say I'm very impressed.

I did have a problem with Currys who ordered it using the wrong code. They used the one that doesn't include the stand. :rolleyes: They should get me the stand this week. Luckily the DX200 uses the same chassis as the FQ70 that was being replaced, so it's currently sitting on that TV's stand with the FQ70 on the floor waiting to be collected when they bring the DX200's stand.

The TV is fabulous. It didn't manage to set itself up correctly, however. All of the analogue, and some of the digital, stations were set wrongly. It just took a bit of fiddling with the manual tuning settings to correct it though. Even though I have a cheap aerial in the loft, the freeview picture is superb. I can't tell the difference from the picture I get through Sky+. The BBCi menus also work far quicker than using them through Sky. My analogue picture seems worse than with my previous TVs, but I'm not really bothered as I only use analogue to access teletext. The FQ70 gave me awful reception for BBC1 Ceefax, but the DX200 handles it fine. I also prefer the DX200's narrow picture for teletext, instead of pulling it wide screen as the FQ70 did, making it harder to read.

I haven't had too much time to play with the picture settings yet, but I don't think it'll take much to get it looking perfect, as it's almost there as long as you don't use the 'Live' setting that its default is set as. My only problems are on football matches, but I've never seen a 100Hz TV handle football that well. I'll give josereyes settings suggestions a go later on to see how that improves things.

One question I do have is regarding some of the connections on the back. There's an optical out and a connection labelled 'modem'. They're in the pictures in the manual, but not mentioned anywhere. They aren't even mentioned in the list of connections at the back of the manual. Are they even operational? I assume the optical out is for sound output to an external amp, but what is the modem connector for?

22. josereyes

josereyes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Broona - no - it doesn't have component. Doomwolf ...my first view of this set was analogue and you know how I felt about that. Maybe your signal - I have a very good roof aerial boosted by a transformer to send it all over the house and although it ain't digital as they say its good. Personally I found Sony's pre sets almost unpleasant - Live was weird on my set. With regard to football this is where this set comes into its own, but not on the 100mhz settings - I agree 100mhz sets don't do the business - the PD30 was awful for sport to be honest. You may not like it but try the DCR setting at 50 and the noise reduction at full - footie looks smooth and sensational ..the only thing you do get is when the brightness of the crowd on a sunny day "pulses" all the time but all sets do that. As far as setting back up I'd look at your signal again. Mine went through the four channels ( I don't get analogue 5 where we are) then gave me them again at lower quality in case - perfect.
    The optical out I assumed was for digital sound to Mini disk or hi fi connection where available. The modem I sort of assumed linked in with certain digital services so you can press your red buttons etc but as I have a cable connection I haven't played. They are a good set - I'm glad you like it - in two weeks I bet you like it more.

23. DoomWolf

DoomWolf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Last night I had time to play with the picture settings properly, and I followed josereye's suggestion about low brightness and high contrast. What a difference! I don't think I've ever seen a TV picture look so good. The colours are so vibrant. I noticed a few TV reviews liked using Men in Black 2 as a way of testing picture quality, and when I was playing with the settings yesterday, I went through the Sky Movie channels, and there it was on Sky Movies 9. It looked fantastic. I really can't praise this set enough. I'm so glad the FQ70 was faulty, otherwise I would never have been able to get this TV instead.

The only thing I found different was that I prefer the DRC set to 100. To me the 50 mode looks too flickery, like a CRT computer monitor set to a 60Hz refresh rate. It would make my eyes hurt fairly quickly. I guess that's just down to personal preference though (or there could be subtle differences in the sets themselves, or it could even be the difference in signal quality). josereyes, I'll give your settings suggestions for football matches a go though. It's no big deal to change it just for when I want to watch a match. The point is that the DX200 gives you the option and ability to make those changes to suit a particular situation, something that not all TVs do.

Thanks for all your help josereyes. You've saved me a lot of time fiddling with settings and helped me get the best possible picture quality. If anyone's considering this set but isn't quite sure, I say buy it. You won't be disappointed.

24. josereyes

josereyes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have to say DW that you shouldn't see any flickering on DCR50. Now I'm not one for defending my settings - each to their own and each set to their own but I've not seen flickering on any setting on this set. What I did find was that on 100DCR or just 100mhz with DCR off was that although the picture was still stunning it had that slightly lined look about it - horizontal - well lines isn't quite the right word really ..grained ..look. On 50 the picture is absolutely solid with none of the 100 mhz look. The reason I tried this was when the nice John Lewis manager was trying to calm me down post Panny PD30 kafuffle . he said that he'd been away with Sony for a week learning all about the new sets and he said that they had been recommended to install for customers who didn't like the 32" 100mhz look to the 50 DCR. I said to him why buy a fric**n 100 mhz then power it down but by then we were on the "get me a set tonight" routine so I thought why not? Thats a very long way of saying that I don't think that the 50 DCR should flicker so best keep an eye but the rest sounds as good as it gets ..I'm glad but not surprised you're pleased. The other thing is that I'm connected to a brand new digital cable box on an RGB scart and the signal is comletely solid so maybe it just suits the signal I get. Either way the best thing is to play for a couple of weeks on and off then you'll find you won't want to touch it. Enjoy!

25. Grif

Grif

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Just got my set delivered this afternoon....got it for internet prices but at John Lewis with a price match :smashin: paid the extra £30 to have them build the stand and set it up...first impressions are very favourable indeed.

I have all the freeview channels when the freeview site said that my postcode was pants for reception...they look just as good as they do on sky !!

Very smart looking piece of kit..I was worried about the bulk, but it looks fantastic sitting in the corner.

I've had a little play with settings and I can also see a flicker on DRC50, its most apparent on large plain slabs of colour like a studio wall and also the instant it appears after switching from DRC100, but after a short while your eyes adjust...but I'm leaning towards DRC100 as fave at the mo with low processing levels. Looking at some footie on Eurosport however the DRC50 was much better! Just as well its so easy to switch.

So far...well chuffed!! :D

26. Jez

Jez
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mine coming on the 29th :D (the 28 one)

Its says on the freeview website that i cannot get it either (lincoln) so i'm hoping they got it wrong as well, will be a bonus.

Cannot wait :)

27. DoomWolf

DoomWolf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I finally got the stand for my DX200 yesterday, and got rid of the faulty FQ70. On the right coloured stand, the DX200 looks even better. I also took the opportunity to sort out the wiring mess, and all I need now are some decent quality Scart and co-ax cables to get the best out of the picture quality.

Grif is right about the picture quality on Freeview. It's as good as the Sky picture. The only problem I had was when I had the TV pulled forwards about six inches to get at the cabling behind. That completely killed the Freeview signal on BBC channels, and was unwatchable on the others (I did check the cables were in properly). I pushed the TV back and it went perfect again. Quite bizarre!

Over the two years that I've lived where I do, I've noticed the analogue signal get progressively worse, whereas the digital signal is perfect. I live on a hill with a direct line of sight to the Sutton Coldfield transmitters 11 miles away (you can see them from the park round the back of the house). Is this part of the plan to 'encourage' digital take up by reducing the output power of analogue transmissions and using it to boost the digital transmissions?

28. Jez

Jez
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Get my 28dx200 tomoz.

Will be on here for setup advice guys ;)

29. Ozzy

Ozzy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Took delivery of my 32dx200 yesterday and I'm not that impressed to be perfectly honest.

On pictures with a white background I can see red tinges on every corner of the set. DRC100 is good for basic TV viewing (I just have it hooked up to my Sky STB using RGB), but anything that moves becomes very blocky. F1, football or even the power boats I had to set it to DRC50 as it just hurts my eyes.

This is my first 100Hz TV, so perhaps it's just not the right technology for me.

I've also found that widescreen through Sky or even my XBox isn't quite right. On some Sky channels, the top and bottom are stretched beyond the actual display of the TV, so they're cut short.

Also, a couple of XBox games, the screen isn't bang on centre but over to the left by about 1". I'm going to try the Freeview channels later today, but I expected much more quality and performance for a £1000 TV.

Would you say that the Red tinges is a fault on my set as I'm seriously thinking about getting it returned (and probably for a cheaper model)??

Stefan

30. red16v

red16v

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Doomwolf: The power of analogue transmissions is being maintained. However, the power of the digital multiplexes is being increased (albeit unpublished). Perhaps your reduction in 'quality' is perhaps more then to do with interference? Not to worry if you're getting a satisfacory Freeview signal anyway. regards, yt.