1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony KD28DX51 picture problem. Ideas?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by phoenix531, Nov 25, 2004.

1. phoenix531

phoenix531
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bought one of these Sony' 28" IDTV's 2 weeks ago. From the start it had pink/purple cresent discolouration (2") at either side of the screen. Faint but very noticeable on white or very pale backgrounds.
    Sony say it shouldn't happen, Curry's engineer said it wasn't correct. New one was delivered this morning and it has the same problem.
    Do only Sony's suffer from this?
    I'm new to widescreen so am I looking at "the norm"?

Any advice much appreciated. :(

2. DRGL

DRGL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Could try an external degauss coil or switch it off & on a few times from cold.It is caused by magnatism,is the TV near anything metal??

3. Phil_S

Phil_S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had a Panasonic iDTV that suffered badly from the same effect, possibly caused by insufficient shielding to the TV's own speakers. That wasn't the only problem with that particular set, so I got rid of it and got a Sony instead, which doesn't suffer from the problem at all.

So in answer to your question, I would say, "No, it's not just Sonys, and it's not all Sonys."

4. phoenix531

phoenix531
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies.
    DRGL - I have been through these things with Sony on the first TV. Moving it to middle of the room, Off / On a few times from cold etc.
    I haven't tried an external degauss coil (?) but I'm getting the feeling that I should return it and look at others. Trouble is it took months to choose ....!
    I have also emailed Sony with the issue this morning.

Phil_S - Thanks, I shall watch out for it on all TV's. Going to the shops to SEE the TV may be a better way after all.

I hope Sony come up with an answer.....

5. stupidboyjj

stupidboyjj
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I bought one of these last Friday (after months of choosing as well!) and mine doesn't suffer from this, at least if it does I haven't noticed it and so far the picture is lovely, especially on DVDs on the RGB input.

6. phoenix531

phoenix531
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I called Sony again. They say they haven't heard of this problem!
    They have suggested a faulty batch at the retailer or storage conditions / handling.
    Called Curry's and I have to wait another several days for another engineer.
    I think Phil_s TV speaker theory may be accurate as it appears to get worse the longer the TV is on. This second TV also seems worse on one side than the other.

7. DRGL

DRGL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    My HQ100 did this until te recall wa done,purity magnets stuck to foam that comes unstuck when the set is warm,wonder if that is the cause? Either that or the TV has had a knock and the aperture grill is distorting when it gets hot?

8. red16v

red16v

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    It does sound like a 'simple' purity problem. As DRGL points out this is performed by 2 rotatable ring magnets on the neck of the crt where it joins the flared 'bell'. After adjustment they are usaully sealed with 'goop' (looks like hardened bathroom sealant). Even if this sealant were to break the ring magnets would be difficult to move so I doubt they have moved by themselves. If it's not the magnetism from the speakers causing it (surprising since Sony know what they're doing when making tvs !) then it might suggest that you have an unusally strong magentic 'presence' near the tv. I know that you have moved it around in the room with the engineer so that would tend to discount that theory. The good news - if it is purity then the engineer SHOULD simply degauss the crt using an external degaussing tool and then readjust the purity magnets - not a big job and certainly 'do able' in your front room if he is inclined - you only have to take the back of the tv off and unseal the 'goop' on the purity magnets and readjust them (5 minute job for a professional tv engineer that brings along a suitable test signal generator with him). Easy said of course but take heart I'm sure it'll come good. Regards, yt.

9. phoenix531

phoenix531
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mastercare engineer has just left.....
    Verdict: It is a purity error which Sony do tend to suffer from, some worse than others. Nearly all have some fading at the edge of the screen.
    He tried a degaussing wand just in case but that didn't work. When asked if he could adjust the purity he said it was glued at the factory and any attempts engineers have made to reset the purity have usually ended up causing worse problems.
    He suggested replacing it again. I have just phoned to ask for a return and my money back. After paying £500, hassle is not an option!
    So anyone out there looking at buying a widescreen, make sure you check the picture quality very carefully first.
    Ho hum, back to research and decision time again.

10. red16v

red16v

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks for keeping us up to date. From what you say my verdict is "Sony crts don't inherently suffer from purity problems any more than the next crt" (believe me, I've tweeked hundreds). If he's agreed its a purity problem then no professional and qualified engineer would make it worse by adjusting the purity magnets. Clearly he was no engineer. It does somewhat frustrate me when 'engineers' like this are let loose on the public. I'm confident a 5 minute adjustment using a signal generator - and I don't suppose the 'engineer' brought that along either - would have left you a very satisfied customer. Regards, yt.

11. phoenix531

phoenix531
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your comments yt. I don't know what devices the engineer had in his toolkit except the degauss wand.
    Interestingly, today I have just been down to a Powerhouse and looked at these TV's. Their 28" set was performing OK with only the "normal" amount of slight fade at the edges. However the 32" model was suffering exactly the same as I have experienced, not quite as bad but definitely a purple discolouration at both sides enough to spoil the enjoyment of the picture. Other models of Sony in the shop had no sign of any problems. It may be a "watch this space" moment for Sony. (?)

12. Mr Cole

Mr Cole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hi everyone, just joined this forum today as it seems to be full of very useful information.
    I have just had my Sony KD28DX51 delivered today and have also noticed this pink/purple haze on both sides of the screen (worst on the left side though). My screen is also slightly distorted from about half way up and on the left side again. You notice it if you have straight lines going across the screen, they are level for most of the width of the screen and then curve down slightly on the left half about 3 inches before the edge.
    Other than this I am very happy with the overall look of the tv. I have just returned a Philips 32PW9509 as I was shocked by the amount of motion blur on screen so I decide to go back to a good old trustworthy 28 inch 50Hz set.
    This screen problem is annoying though. Hopefully I'll get it exchanged and not have the problem with the next set!!

13. Hazell

Hazell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Very interesting reading guys - I'm glad that I'm not alone. I'm on my second KD28DX51U - the first was sent back because of bad geometry issues. This one appears to have the pink tinge that has been widely talked about although mine is concentrated in the top left hand corner. It's only faint - but it's the sort of thing that my eye notices from time to time. Looking at some US web-sites it appears that this is a problem with all WEGA tubes...I'm currently waiting for the engineer to call.

Great looking TV though and the Smartlink feature is nifty for videoing!