Sony KD28DX51 or Panasonic TX28DTX11? (ordering v.soon)

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by matJ, Nov 2, 2005.

Tags:
  1. matJ

matJ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Managed to find where both these are in stock and can get both at very good prices. I've seen problem threads for the panny regarding random turning off but I'll be using a panny DVD recorder so hopefully the same brand Q-link connection will stop this happening :rolleyes: . Not seen many threads on the sony.
    >IDTV freeview comparison (sonys better?)
    >50Hz vs 100Hz?
    >Sound?
    >Reliability?
    >Looks (I prefer the panasonic)
    Is there a clear cut winner here? am i being blinded by what i think looks better (design) and not performance?
    Thanks!

2. Wingnut_72

Wingnut_72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I recently posted my Panasonic TX32DTX11 experiences regarding the set turning on and off by it self.

You might be right about smart link and qlink being incompatible, I did contact Panasonic they said that wasn't possible and the set was faulty.

If you do an internet search for sets that turn off then on again by themselves, you will find a lot of different makes that have the fault, one site indicated that it's due to poor soldering or faulty diodes.

Don't worry about it, if it's faulty get a refund.

Personally I prefer the sony you're considering

I've ordered a JVC HV32P37 for £400 + £35 Del, JVC ( Victor Co. of Japan Ltd ) are linked to Panasonic via Matsush*ta, their parent company who own 52.4% of JVC.

I was looking at the 28 version for £325 take a look at the link below, the specs are a lot higher than the sets you're considering.

http://www.empiredirect.co.uk/content/products/details/index.asp?modelcode=JVC-HV28P37S

There's a review of the 32 version here

http://www.homecinemachoice.com/

3. matJ

matJ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks wingnut,
    I shall order the Sony. The reason its between these two is that I prefer the TV to have black frame around the screen. Silver would stand out to much for my living room (apparently....so i was ordered).
    I wont risk buying the panasonic as i cant be bothered with the fuss involved if it is faulty. Out of interest, was the picture/sound/IDTV for the DTX11 to your liking while you had it?

4. Wingnut_72

Wingnut_72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Mat

The picture on the Panasonic suffered from a dirty screen effect, noticeable when the camera would pan left, right, up and down, your eye would stay focused on the marks or patches on the screen, the second set was better than the first in this respect but still noticeable,

Also some barrel distortion, noticeable when credits scrolled up the screen the text looked squashed near the top and bottom of the screen.

The sound was better on the second set, the dolby virtual was better than stereo but it made speech a little quite.

The IDTV was fine when it worked, regularly it would freeze on one channel, then the picture would go green and the sound would go on ITV. To fix it you needed to reset the TV this is done by switching the TV off then on again, this process is described in the manual, basically you need to reboot the IDTV part like a computer when it crashes. I did have it connected to a sony vcr and the epg programming sometimes worked, but usually it wouldn't stop recording or didn't record at all or you would get sound but no picture.

These are my experiences, I am sure others have had a positive experience with DTX11 it's just that I had two with the same faults.

I agree about the black frame does look good also silver will have more noticeable reflections, the JVC I've ordered is silver but for the features and price I can live with it.

I like the design of the Sony a lot, and I considered getting it myself but IDTV has put me off.

5. matJ

matJ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks wingnut, been a great help.