1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony KD28DX50, KD28DX50U, KD28DX51 ? - Quick Question

Discussion in 'TVs' started by ChaiseyLain, Jul 3, 2004.

1. ChaiseyLain

ChaiseyLain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, Hope to be a regular on these boards. It's taken me a while to find a good one!

I have finally decided after a bit of research, to go against a 100hz TV and have pretty much come to the conclusion that I will get the Sony KD28DX50 (still open to suggestions otherwise), but just wanted to clarify what (if any) the differences were between the above 3 models. Is the KD28DX51 exactly the same as the KD28DX50 specs wise except a different design? I think I actually prefer the older, all-silver design of the KD28DX50. And furthermore, is there any difference between the KD28DX50U and KD28DX50? Why the 'U'?

To sum things up in general I'm just looking to get a TV less than £500 which has IDTV, NTSC/PAL compatible, S-video, and is good quality and reliable.

Can I throw one more thing in? What improvements were made to the Sony KD28DL11/DL10 for it to become the KD28DX50?

2. HowieC

HowieC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    To clear up one point, the 'U' simply indicates UK model. Some retailers include it some don't.

3. philangst

philangst
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    KD28DX51 is being advertised as a "new model" but I havent found the difference as yet.

4. Breeza

Breeza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I spoke to Sony about the DX51 on Friday and they are sending me the full spec in the post (2nd class).

However I did get them to run through it on the phone. The thing that stood out was the it has 2 scart sockets but BOTH are RGB! It also supports both NTSC formats through AV.

Looks wise its totally different to the DX50.
    http://www.qed-uk.com/?i=10VZE13QcGJy&vp=6&bg=167&bp=dx51b&bi=b

I think it looks nice, my wife is not convinced though.
    Anyone seen one of these on display anywhere?

Cheapest I have seen the 28" inc stand + delivery is about £525

5. philangst

philangst
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I quite like the way the TV looks. Anyone on here seen the pq?

6. ChaiseyLain

ChaiseyLain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks.

The 51 does seem significantly more than the 50. £525 for 51 and £420 for 50. Is it worth the extra £100? Can get a 100hz telly for an extra £100 (even though I decided against it) Any suggestions as to which retailer to buy off?

7. TV Headache

TV Headache
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would be very surprised if that were true since every Sony 50Hz IDTV so far has had only one RGB scart. (hence those of us with DVDs players and digital video recorders or Sky boxes need an external switch).

8. ChaiseyLain

ChaiseyLain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Someone help! Now everyone is saying it's better to not get an IDTV, but instead get a standalone one. Since you can't record properly with IDTV and the freeview system gets outdated very quick, and you're stuck with it.

9. Breeza

Breeza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hmmm,

Received the spec & glossy this morning & guess what, they contradict each other.

Glossy: 2 RGB scarts
    Spec: 1 RGB, 1 SVideo.

Looks like the glossy is a misprint then. I don't think I have seen a TV with just two scarts and both being RGB. Oh well.

10. TV Headache

TV Headache
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry to say this but I dissagree on all three counts. 1) I for one say better to have IDTV - based on experience 2) You can't record 'properly' with any TV so let's not single-out IDTVs and 3) Freeview has not become outdated so far, and is not showing any signs of doing so in the near future. If you buy an up-to-date IDTV (Sony's DX51 for example) you will be able to access all the channels (even TOTV, with the right card and CAM), use the 7 day EPG (when it finally goes nationwide) and connect it up to a digital video recorder (such as a Pace Twin or Humax PVR8000T) and be able to record 'properly'. And if one day it becomes too old and slow to run certain interactive applications in the future you can still add the latest set-top to your IDTV (if interactive applications are important to you). So you're no more 'stuck with' an IDTV than you are with any other TV.

11. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I would recommend the IDTV route as well - better picture quality and simplified operation

12. ChaiseyLain

ChaiseyLain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for clearing things up.

I guess it is between the DX50 and DX51. Is the DX51 worth the extra £100? Maybe not now since theres only 1 RGB. Where shall I buy it?

13. Zaichik

Zaichik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +239
    The Panasonic TX28DTX10 IDTV (which I have) allows you to record from the integrated freeview tuner when the TV is in standby, and also allows you to watch an analogue programme while recording from digital. In my book, that's just as good as a TV and separate freeview box.

14. TV Headache

TV Headache
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think it depends on personal taste because the styling appears to be the key difference, along with the look and feel of the user interface. I think that both are designs which look better with their designated stands so if you aren't able to use that you might want to look at the Sony 28DL11 which is even cheaper and is just as up to date as DX51.

I recommend Pricerunner to find the best price but I can't recommend any one of the individual retailers over another because I've yet bought a TV over the web.

15. TV Headache

TV Headache
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think there's quite a few IDTVs which will allow that but when you're used to digital picture quality and channel selection there's no way you want to put up with analogue everytime you want to record on another channel. (And you certainly won't be able to do that after analogue-switch-off.) Add to that the hassle of synchosing with your VCR, making sure the tapes in the right place, watching the results at half-res, composite video quality and you have a very sound argument for attaching a digital video recorder with a Freeview tuner since they work completely independantly from the TV and at full digital broadcast quality. In my experience, the difference really is 'night and day'.

16. Breeza

Breeza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Checked out the 32DX1 today in the Sony Centre & confirmed only 1 RGB scart. Pic attached.

Had a general play around with the digital tuner, EPG and aspect ratio modes. Intuitive controls and a crisp picture, initially a bit harsh but I popped it into movie mode and that was more to my taste. The vertical edges on the 4:3 broadcast were nice and straight. £799 for the 32 £550 for the 28.

It was next to the 32DX200 which looked smoother but slightly processed even when in DRC50 mode. As always the salesman was trying to sway me towards this more expensive set.

Also checked the 28DX1 in another shop but it wasn’t on a stand and as such didn’t look aesthetically anywhere near as good. The 4:3 picture on this one had bends all over the place - it’s the same old quality control story so buy from a trusted retailer.

Attached Files:

17. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I really like the Sony 50Hz IDTVs - mine has a superb picture and yes I have seen Loewes and all that.

As for recording - Pace Twin or Humax 8000T, use a DVD player with RGB pass through

18. Breeza

Breeza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Stuck between:

£525 Sony 28DX51 (Wife doesn't like the style of this one)
    £451 Sony 28DL11 (Same spec and IDTV features as DX51 but without virtual dolby)

£448 Panasonic 28DTX1 (Seriously tacky remote)

Not quite sure where to put my money just yet . . .

19. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Virtual Dolby is pants

£70 odd towards a PVR

20. Zaichik

Zaichik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +239

I agree, but if you compare an analogue TV with an external Freeview box and an IDTV which allows you to separate the digital decoder function from the rest of the TV, then there's little difference. The issues you mention (analogue turn off, using the VCR) are the same either way, and that's the point I was making (in response to those that said that an IDTV was inferior to a TV and Freeview box). Of course neither is a substitute for a digital video recorder with built in Freeview.

21. TV Headache

TV Headache
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I first saw pictures of the DX51 a few weeks ago and wasn't convinced about the look but since I've seen it a few times I've started to like it and now even find all the older silver TVs to be very old fashioned looking.

Did you try the interactive features on a Pana yet? The 100Hz one I tried in John Lewis seemed to be very slow compared to other modern IDTVs and digital boxes.

DL11 would be a safe choice, if you can't get anything more adventurous past the purchasing committee (a situation I know all-to-well!)

22. Breeza

Breeza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Havn't tried the digital interactive content as I never really use it. Have sky+ in the living room and I wish I could banish the red button forever.

23. Breeza

Breeza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    If anyone stumbles upon a 28DL11 can you check to see if there is an svideo input on the front. Spec says otherwise.

24. ChaiseyLain

ChaiseyLain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What about the DX50? Hasn't it got all the DX51 has but is cheaper and better looking.

25. TV Headache

TV Headache
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    DX50 is the outgoing model so obviously there's going to be some pretty good deals to be found whilst retailers are clearing them out. And although I think the hardware spec is basically the same, the EPG and whole digital user interface is upgraded on DX51. As for the cosmetic - I'll leave that up to you but I prefer DX51's bold new face because the one on DX50 has been around for quite a few years now.

26. Breeza

Breeza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    The choice has been made for me.

John Lewis won't price match the 28DX51 as they don't stock this set & it would have to be a special order. I am not paying the £650 they quoted me!

Looks like a DL11 it is then :smashin:

27. ChaiseyLain

ChaiseyLain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any ideas if they are likely to stock it later? I am prepared to wait a few weeks.

28. ChaiseyLain

ChaiseyLain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks.

I may aswell go the DX51 route then, as I have a thing about buying things that are 'old' (can't help it). I think at the moment I do still slightly prefer the silver face, as I fell the black face looks 'plastic' - although I personally think whats on the screen looks better surrounded by a black face rather than silver or a lighter colour

29. Breeza

Breeza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    JL stock the 32DX51 if thats any good to you?

30. ChaiseyLain

ChaiseyLain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks.

Is it on the JL website now?

Got a few more headaches now. I have now seen what appears to be three different versions of the Sony 28DX51. The Sony KD-28DX51, the Sony KD-28DX51B, and the Sony KD-28DX51S. Whats going on!? What are the differences?

I have seen the Sony KD28DX51S on empiredirect.co.uk for £470. Shall I go with them (will try to pricematch with JL too) or is has anyone found it elsewhere for cheaper or at a more respectable/reliable retailer.