1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony KD28DL10U Inherent Problem?

Discussion in 'TVs' started by henchard, Jan 13, 2004.

1. henchard

henchard
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi all, this is my first post here so please be gentle! However, I thought you should be aware of this and also I would be interested to know if others are having the same problem.

Firstly I'm not hugely into TV but decided to buy a new IDTV to replace my very old set. I read a few reviews and bought a Sony KD28DL10U from Empire Direct.

The TV was delivered; I plugged it in and it worked fine; looked good. However, within a day or so I noticed that on some light colours there were vertical green and magenta bands on the screen. This was only noticable on 'thin colours' although the effect could be enhanced by playing with the colour/contrast/brightness. It is only apparent in digital mode not analogue or DVD playback (which is superb).

I complained to Empire Direct who said they would replace it as long as an engineer confirmed the problem A Sony authorised engineer visited - he said although the set was a new model he hadn't seen anything similar on the previous idtv model. It was clearly a problem and he suggested I get a replacement.

The replacement arrived today (no problems with Empire Direct who have handled this OK) and having plugged it in etc. I find that the problem is still there but much fainter. Indeed if I hadn't had the problem first time round I doubt I would have seen it.

If you have one of these tv's can i suggest you choose either a blank channel or one just showing the light brown wallpaper(Wallpaper 2 in setup I thinK) then play with the colours/brightness etc and see if you can see it. There are distinct vertical bands (a few centimetres wide) on mine. I then phoned the engineer back who said he has now seen it on another set since seeing mine and he suspects that 'it is just the way it is'.

I've since phoned Sony UK who tell me they have no other reports of this problem.

Can I ask if anyone else has this problem or any suggestions to make? I am probably going to reject the set under The Sale of Goods Act and get my money back. This is a shame because I think that the set is otherwise excellent.

2. Damian1978

Damian1978

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +265
    Sony Trinitron and Wega tubes have "tie lines" running horizontally across the tube about a third in from the top and bottom of the screen. These wires hold the aperture in place.

They are only really noticable on bright whites though and are more "greyish" in appearance.

Just a thought:)

3. henchard

henchard
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    No these are distinct vertical bands over all the screen; they were easier to see on the first set but are still there on the second set

4. Damian1978

Damian1978

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +265
    Hmmm...not good at all!

It doesn't help but my general opinion of recent Sony TV sets and their products have dropped in recent years. My last be one rented set was a cracking Sony but my current bought IDTV is good but not quite what is expected of Sony.

Get it returned. I think you'd have to check out another manufacturer though just to be safe and thats a difficult one:rolleyes:

5. henchard

henchard
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Whilst I had trawled the forum for this model prior to posting (not much as it is a new model) it is interesting to find this thread

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=107680

which describes almost exactly the same problem on the previous model. So why are Sony saying they don't know about this problem?

6. pcharles

pcharles
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yeah your right, the problem you have sounds like what I have with my TV. I suggest that you contact Sony again and tell them. It took me about 5 phone calls and several emails to get them to admit there is a problem. They descibe it as vertical banding. Apprently they have a fix and are looking to carry this out on my set next week. This may not be the same problem as you have but it sounds very much the same. I also only have the problem with digital!

7. henchard

henchard
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    It would be very interesting if you could casually ask the engineer if he knows of the same problem with the KD28DL10U . It would be nice to get confirmation that Sony were being economical with the truth. I would also like to know if the fix sorts the problem out. Keep us posted.

8. pcharles

pcharles
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I will ask him but it is not being pick up till saturday. Try emailing them at SUK.generalCIC@eu.sony.com, saying you think you have the same problem as the KD28DX50 (Vertical banding). They can take a bit of pushing before they give you a proper answer.

9. henchard

henchard
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well so far not even a response from Sony. Their 'customer care' national rate number is a waste of time. They have not answered my enquiry via their website nor have they responded to an email to the email address given above.

Does anyone have either the phone numbers of real people in the Sony UK organisation (i.e. someone with clout) or valid email addresses of senior management?

To think that their brand name was once probably the most respected in the UK.

10. henchard

henchard
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Sony you really need to get your customer care sorted! I am not posting their full replies here because their email footer makes it clear the information is for the recipient only.

However, reply one actually has the cheek to intimate

'Sony do not encourage the use of forum sites for the discussion of complaints of this nature.'

i.e we don't want our dirty washing washed in public

To which I replied that you seem to have completely lost the plot as you deny all knowledge of a problem and how else can one find out the answer, it's a free world (despite Mr Blair and George Bush's attempts - ok off topic but that's today's political rant over) and most importantly a positive attitude from companys would reflect in positive postings in forums like this.

Reply 2 (from a totally different person who seemed presumeably unaware of the above reply) pretty much said 'hands up there is an acknowledged problem of this nature in both the DL10 and DX50 - it has been addressed at the factory (although some unsold stock may still be affected) and service agents will put right faulty sets free of charge.'

So full marks for the latter - it has been like pulling hen's teeth to get to the bottom of this and quite why Sony saw fit to deny a problem in the first place and why an authorised service agent had no knowledge of this are questions Sony really need to address.

That said if this problem is sorted correctly it will be an excellent TV

11. pcharles

pcharles
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Sounds like you have had the same fun as me to finally get them to admit there was a problem!! Lets wait and see if the fix really does fix it!

12. henchard

henchard
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The saga goes on with the delivery of my third TV (a new batch the retailer tells me) which you've guessed it exhibits the same problem.

Should I return it for yet another one or go along with the 'fix' ? Just phoned my Sony repair agents who looked up the details on the Sony technical web site and who advise that this just involves the replacement of one capacitor to solve the problem.

Although it goes against my better instincts (Why should I accept a new set that doesn't work correctly?) I'm going to try the repair/fix this time rather than return the set - at this rate I'll be getting a new set every week! I'll keep you posted.

Quite what this whole saga must be costing is anyone's guess!

13. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    An easy answer!

If all the new ones have this fault yet they offer a fix just get it fixed as long as it is carried out by an official Sony person.

I had a visit to modify my TV, fix a design flaw and offer CAM compatability.

I like the TV and a new one would have had the same problems and needed the same visit

14. pcharles

pcharles
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hen,

I gave up after my second set and resigned myself to getting it fixed. I will be gettting it back from the engineer's tomorrow, so only time will tell if it is a successfull fix!!!

15. pcharles

pcharles
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Got the set back from being fixed and it seems ok now, only took them 2 months!!

16. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Glad it is fixed

17. henchard

henchard
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Just an update on my set. The Sony engineer came last week and did the fix in my house not at the workshop. It consists of taking out one small board and soldering a 4.5 microfarad capacitor (I think) across the existing components on the board - they don't replace the whole board. As the components are very small even the engineer found this quite tricky to do. The whole job took about 10/15 minutes.
    He did say that mine was the first set they had done in the area; but that he had seen the problem on every set he had looked at but that most people did not realise it was a fault!
    The digital picture is now superb; very good IMHO for a budget set.

18. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301