1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony KD28D11 - can't access text

Discussion in 'TVs' started by raydawson, Feb 6, 2005.

1. raydawson

raydawson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I've got a new Sony KD28D11U integrated digital TV, but I can't access the text services.

The red button doesn't appear on screen on BBC1 or News 24.

Pressing the digital text button does nothing.

Text on channel 9 and BBC1 on 51 appears in the EPG.

How can I access the text and interactive services. I've looked in the menu for an option to turn text or interactive services on or off, but can't find one.

I have two digital boxes on the same aerial which both access text OK, so it isn't a signal problem.

Any help gratefully received.

Ray D

2. Eso

Eso
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the same set as this and I really can't offer any advice?

I can access all the text pages on the channels you mention.

One thing I am not 100% clear on though is what button are you pressing? You refer to the digital teletext button - which button is this?

To get the text up whilst on the digital tuner I press either the red button or the actual teletext button (which is situated under the blue teletext button.

Can't help any more than that, let me know if I can help anymore.

3. raydawson

raydawson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    According to the manual on page 14, Text is accessed by the left hand button below and to the left of the navigation arrows. Called on page 8 button 14, the Interactive Back button.

I've tried variously the Red button, the one below the blue button and the one I mentioned above. None of them activate text.

The big clue that something is wrong is the lack of the Press Red button logo at top right of the screen on News 24 or BBC1 news.

I was hoping that there was an option to turn text on and off that I hadn't found.

Oh well, another phone call to Sony tomorrow :mad:

This is my fourth KD28 TV. The first three all had the switch mode PSU breaking through to the screen in an annoying line travelling up the screen. Sony supplied this set as a tested and working one. :rolleyes:

Cheers,

Ray D

4. Eso

Eso
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry to hear you are still having problems Ray!

Just to confirm I just switched my TV to the BBC News 24 channel and sure enough in the top right corner I have the 'Press Red' prompt which you lack on your set.

I can only conclude from this that as you suspected you have a problem somewhere :(

One more question for you though, you mention that this is your 4th set and the first 3 you had, had some sort of PSU breaking problem. What exactly is this? and was the line very noticeable?

I can't say I have noticed any such problem with mine (aside from minor geometry issues which I can live with). As you probably already know this is a nice set (IMO anyhow), hopefully you will get lucky with the next one and start enjoying the thing!

Cheers.

5. raydawson

raydawson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    It's like a faint hum line that runs up the bottom right third of the screen. It isn't very noticeable, but becomes annoying on some brightness levels in pictures. It happens about a third of the screen width and from the bottom to about a third up and then disappears for a few seconds before reappearing again.

You can see it clearly on a static caption like the BBC3 not on air one - the medium red background. Also, if you go to the technical screen, which is mid grey, it's very noticeable.

All four sets have had it in varying degrees - one right across the screen. Sony say they have never experienced it.

I've removed all connections to the set - including the aerial - and it can be seen on the mid grey technical screen. I've turned off all computers, dimmers, fluorescent lights etc in case one of them caused it.

Have a close look at the screen of your set.

Cheers,

Ray D

6. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Sounds like a software issue - ask if they can send an update on a card

7. Eso

Eso
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Maybe I'm doing something wrong Ray, or maybe my set doesn't have this problem but I just cannot see it!

I've tried various channels, some closed down ones (granted not tested on BBC3 closedown screen yet) but I just cannot see this line?

Will look again and update.

8. raydawson

raydawson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Re the missing Text facility.

Well, today it's back again! The red button logo is back and the text button works again.

I've no idea why it didn't work yesterday as both my digi boxes worked fine and are connected to the same aerial.

I'll keep an eye on it for a few days and, if it disappears again, I'll contact Sony.

Thanks for all the help.

Cheers,

Ray D

9. murfittm

murfittm
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Same TV similar problem 2/3 weeks ago, after period of time unable to view text or text based channels, seemed to correct itself on its own without any outside intervention, only query now on digital radio stations Heat or Mojo, as soon as text appears on screen sound cuts out. Any ideas?

Michael

10. Eso

Eso
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just checked murfittm and mine does that with those two radio stations as well.

I never noticed it before. All the other radio stations work fine, so I really don't know what it could be. I never use it for that anyway.

I think it must be a software glitch though as whilst the sound cuts out if you bring the EPG up the sound comes back again?!

11. murfittm

murfittm
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Should have mentioned this as mine behaves this way as well.

12. Eso

Eso
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm sure this is a software fault to be honest.

I tried these two channels on my Brothers Sony IDTV (DX200 or something) and everything works fine. I did notice that when you change to these channels, the music comes up, then there is a slight break in the music (no more that a second) and then the images come up.

It seems like on our sets the break is there before the images, just the music for some reason never seems to come back. The fact the music returns when you bring up the EPG also seems to (me at least) indicate a software problem.

Anyone else having this problem?

Is it worth phoning Sony to see if they can give us a software update or something?!

Personally not worth sending the set back over such a minor problem. Overally I am happy with mine, not risking sending it back incase I get one with more faulth ;)